public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* GCC 4.8 & cygwin32 vs. cygwin64 packages and installers
@ 2015-09-10 11:23 Tomasz Pona
From: Tomasz Pona @ 2015-09-10 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hello All,

I've been writing the Cygwin list ages ago, so welcome again.

For many years since my last visit I haven't bumped into any Cygwin
problem I couldn't cope with myself, so many thanks to all Cygwin devels
for your good job.
But now I run into a real problem with GNU GCC packages availability and
how they're presented in the installer.

My GCC availablity problem:
I need to work with GCC 4.8, but it isn't available anymore for
download. I uderstand obviousness of the versions succession, but the
upgrade to 4.9 was done only recently and the choice is between 4.9.2
and 4.9.3. I'd say this isn't significant version change. It'd be nice
to have a choice at least between 4.8 and 4.9 and great to be able to
work with several versions (since ~4.6) at once.

My installer package presentation problem:
I noticed the GCC 4.8 is still available as "cygwin64-gcc-" under
"setup-x86" and as "cygwin32-gcc" under "setup-x86_64".
But I can't take any advantage of this, because:
- these packages land in separate cygwin/cygwin64 folders, like the'd be
installed using the other installer
- "setup-x86" has no "cygwin32-gcc-"
- "setup-x86_64" has no "cygwin64-gcc-"
Why GCC 4.8 isn't available as a default package when it is as
"cygwin32-gcc-"/"cygwin64-gcc-"?

Maybe you could just loosen the package presentation/availability rules
in your installers?

Thanks in advance for any response,
Tomasz Pona

* Re: GCC 4.8 & cygwin32 vs. cygwin64 packages and installers
@ 2015-09-10 12:18 ` Marco Atzeri
From: Marco Atzeri @ 2015-09-10 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 10/09/2015 13:23, Tomasz Pona wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I've been writing the Cygwin list ages ago, so welcome again.

wrong mailing list.
You should use for this question cygwin "at" cygwin "dot" com

> For many years since my last visit I haven't bumped into any Cygwin
> problem I couldn't cope with myself, so many thanks to all Cygwin devels
> for your good job.
> But now I run into a real problem with GNU GCC packages availability and
> how they're presented in the installer.
>
> My GCC availablity problem:
> I need to work with GCC 4.8, but it isn't available anymore for
> download. I uderstand obviousness of the versions succession, but the
> upgrade to 4.9 was done only recently and the choice is between 4.9.2
> and 4.9.3. I'd say this isn't significant version change. It'd be nice
> to have a choice at least between 4.8 and 4.9 and great to be able to
> work with several versions (since ~4.6) at once.

As cygwin is a rolling distri, maintaing multi compilers
will be very demanding.

> My installer package presentation problem:
> I noticed the GCC 4.8 is still available as "cygwin64-gcc-" under
> "setup-x86" and as "cygwin32-gcc" under "setup-x86_64".
> But I can't take any advantage of this, because:
> - these packages land in separate cygwin/cygwin64 folders, like the'd be
> installed using the other installer
> - "setup-x86" has no "cygwin32-gcc-"
> - "setup-x86_64" has no "cygwin64-gcc-"
> Why GCC 4.8 isn't available as a default package when it is as
> "cygwin32-gcc-"/"cygwin64-gcc-"?

cygwin32-gcc is a cross compiler from X86_64 to i686
cygwin64-gcc is a cross compiler from i686 to x86_64
gcc is the standard compiler available in both arch X86_64 and i686

@ 2015-09-10 13:18   ` Tomasz Pona
From: Tomasz Pona @ 2015-09-10 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

 > wrong mailing list.
 > You should use for this question cygwin "at" cygwin "dot" com

Since "cygwin-talk" is described as "The Vulgar and Unprofessional..."
I'd better stay with it :)

 > cygwin32-gcc is a cross compiler from X86_64 to i686
 > cygwin64-gcc is a cross compiler from i686 to x86_64

This explains me everything except the versions available: 4.8 is still
available as cross-compilers, but not as the standard one.

@ 2015-09-10 14:10     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-09-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Sep 10, 2015, at 7:18 AM, Tomasz Pona <koczis@parasoft.com> wrote:

> This explains me everything except the versions available: 4.8 is still available as cross-compilers, but not as the standard one.

Different people maintain those two package sets, and each package maintainer is free to set their own policies for what constitutes the current and previous versions of any given package.

Your observation that one maintainer does one thing and another does something different does not bind the other maintainer to behave the same way.

If you want old versions of Cygwin packages, dig them out of the Cygwin Time Machine:

  http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/

* Re: GCC 4.8 & cygwin32 vs. cygwin64 packages and installers
@ 2015-09-10 14:46       ` Tomasz Pona
From: Tomasz Pona @ 2015-09-10 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

 > If you want old versions of Cygwin packages, dig them out of
 > the Cygwin Time Machine:
 >    http://www.fruitbat.org/Cygwin/

Great!
GCC 4.8 seems to be still archived under entry:
1.7.33-1 	1422835808 	2.859 	2015/02/01-161008
ftp://www.fruitbat.org/pub/cygwin/circa/2015/02/01/161008

Thanks a lot and regards,
Tomasz Pona