public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Vim wins again. :)
@ 2015-07-08 20:01 Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2015-07-08 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Those who have been paying attention to the Linux Journal’s Reader’s Choice Awards for years, as I have, watched as Vim continually increased its lead over Emacs to the point that they didn’t even bother asking in the most recent survey.  When they asked in 2013, Emacs was at about 10%, behind Vim, gedit, and Kate:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/rc2013?page=44

It is interesting to compare those results to the Stack Overflow Developer Survey:

  http://stackoverflow.com/research/developer-survey-2015#tech-editor

You can see the overpowering influence of Windows and OS X here in the top two choices: NotePad++ (blech!) and Sublime Text (yay!).

Sublime Text is greatly improved by the Vintageous plugin, which allows Sublime to emulate Vim so well that I like it far better than gVim.

  https://github.com/guillermooo/Vintageous

Although I didn’t much mind paying for Sublime Text as a product, I do worry about it disappearing.  Visual Studio Code could woo away enough Sublime users that its developer may simply have to abandon it:

  https://code.visualstudio.com/

Thoughts from the other editor geeks here?