public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: Robert Pendell <shinji+cygwin@elite-systems.org>
To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List <cygwin-talk@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: First experiences with WSL (a.k.a. Bash on Windows)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2016 00:53:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 2:21 AM, Mark Geisert wrote:

> Warren Young wrote:
>>
>> On Aug 10, 2016, at 9:59 PM, Mark Geisert <XXXX@XXXXXX.XXX> wrote:
>>>

>>> Warren Young wrote:
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Would you kindly https://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTWLL ?
>>

>> That option doesn’t exist in this program.
>>
>> I don’t see the problem anyway.  One unbroken line per paragraph is trivial to wrap in software, and then you get breaks where *you* like them, rather than where *I* like them.
>>
>> Choosing not to insert hard breaks in paragraphs also allows me to post the too-common long modern URLs without using a shortener, so you can see where I intend for you to go before you click.
>>
>> If your advice is to switch to a different mailer, there are only two others that have even slight appeal to me on this platform, and the maker of the first has repeatedly threatened to abandon its development, and the second costs more money than I believe the problem is worth.  After all, *I* don’t have a problem with the status quo.  So, do you want to buy me a software license to solve *your* problem? :)
>>

> Here is an example of what your posts tend to look like to me on those rare
> occasions when I bother to expand Chrome to full-screen to read them:
> http://maxrnd.com/~mark/Warren.png
>
> I don't see all of your text.  I'd like to be able to read it without having
> to go full-screen or scroll left-right or use some other reader.  This is
> Chrome reading the Cygwin mail archives; can't get much more vanilla than that.  Chrome doesn't seem to have an option to wrap.
>
> Of course it's your choice.  But if nobody said anything about it you
> wouldn't be aware that some folks can't read your usually thoughtful and
> detailed posts.
> Respectfully,
>
> ..mark

(Note: My response was intentionally typed without manually hitting
enter as I want to see the wrapping in gmail and see if it actually
hits 78 characters or if it runs on)

This actually went off topic from the original message.  In regards to
the original message I found that it does an ok job in the areas I
cared about however it has only partial shared memory support.  It is
broken in some places like node.js doesn't entirely work with it
however I got non server node.js apps to work in it.  It also worked
for 3DS homebrew development which was a good thing because I couldn't
get the Windows environment for that to work properly for some reason
and it works fine in Linux so even though it might run a litle slower
it still worked out better for me.

Given that they have plenty of work to do.  Cygwin has had a huge head
start on them and managed to get many things emulated/implemented
already.  I'd personally be interested to see if they can get it done
right but I don't have my hopes up.

Now then as far as long lines?  It is better for the sender to handle
it.  Mailing lists are archived in most cases and it stores the
messages as sent by the client.  Most of the time the messages do not
wrap and when they do it wraps at the window border.  With larger
resolutions it looks like a huge line.  Wrapping at 72 or even 80
characters looks infinitely better than a run on line on the screen.
I think someone already posted an image of what one of the messages
looked like in the archive.

Robert Pendell
A perfect world is one of chaos.
Keybase: http://keybase.io/shinji257