public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: New Cygwin release
       [not found] ` <CA+sc5m=OWVvx+tJpxsbsW+BGe876wUj6AVB7kcNJqYyvViFJyQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2012-05-25 21:05   ` David Eisner
From: David Eisner @ 2012-05-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk, earnie

INSIARPCDAWFFUIHITSWKMTPLAOTFATPTIODIACIASTWAMPWTGYPAYHIPNHDNANWTSTW
(I'm not sure I agree. Reasonable people can disagree about whether
feedback from users is helpful in these situations.  Who knows, maybe
the project leads are on the fence, and this pushes them in one
direction. In any case, I am sure there was a more polite way to get
your point across.  Your hostility  is probably not helpful --
definitely not a nice way to start the weekend.)

-David

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Earnie Boyd
<earnie@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:55 PM, Karl M wrote:
>>
>> Hi All...
>>
>> With all of the recent bug fixes, could we have a new release once all the dust settles.
>
> WAUWOIDB (What a useless waste of internet data bits).  The CRT
> (Cygwin release team) will DIWTGATI (Do it when they get around to
> it).
>
> --
> Earnie
> -- https://sites.google.com/site/earnieboyd
>
> --
> Problem reports:       http://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                   http://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:         http://cygwin.com/docs.html

* Re: New Cygwin release
@ 2012-05-26 21:39     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-05-26 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 05:05:16PM -0400, David Eisner wrote:
>INSIARPCDAWFFUIHITSWKMTPLAOTFATPTIODIACIASTWAMPWTGYPAYHIPNHDNANWTSTW
>(I'm not sure I agree. Reasonable people can disagree about whether
>feedback from users is helpful in these situations.  Who knows, maybe
>the project leads are on the fence, and this pushes them in one
>direction. In any case, I am sure there was a more polite way to get
>your point across.  Your hostility  is probably not helpful --
>definitely not a nice way to start the weekend.)

Sorry but the "project leads" don't need joe users making obvious
suggestions.  We've obviously made many previous releases and don't
require a vague suggestion from someone to realize when it is time
for a new one.

Earnie's observations were spot on.  As a project maintainer himself he
knows what a waste of bandwidth these messages are.  If his message will
make someone think twice before sending something a similar "why don't
you do your job" message then that's a good thing.

cgf

* Re: New Cygwin release
@ 2012-05-26 22:35       ` David Eisner
From: David Eisner @ 2012-05-26 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> Earnie's observations were spot on.  As a project maintainer himself he
> knows what a waste of bandwidth these messages are.  If his message will
> make someone think twice before sending something a similar "why don't
> you do your job" message then that's a good thing.

I'm reading between the lines, but are you of the opinion that the
hostile tone is a helpful way to keep users from sending such messages
in the future?

-David

* Re: New Cygwin release
@ 2012-05-26 23:22         ` Linda Walsh
From: Linda Walsh @ 2012-05-26 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

David Eisner wrote:

>> Earnie's observations were spot on. �As a project maintainer himself he
>> knows what a waste of bandwidth these messages are. �If his message will
>> make someone think twice before sending something a similar "why don't
>> you do your job" message then that's a good thing.
>
> I'm reading between the lines, but are you of the opinion that the
> hostile tone is a helpful way to keep users from sending such messages
> in the future?

----
It's just in his nature...(meant with all due love and respect, of course!)

:-)

* RE: New Cygwin release
@ 2012-05-27  3:35         ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2012-05-27  3:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

David Eisner sent the following at Saturday, May 26, 2012 6:35 PM
>> Earnie's observations were spot on.  As a project maintainer himself he
>> knows what a waste of bandwidth these messages are.  If his message will
>> make someone think twice before sending something a similar "why don't
>> you do your job" message then that's a good thing.
>
>I'm reading between the lines, but are you of the opinion that the
>hostile tone is a helpful way to keep users from sending such messages
>in the future?

It's my fault.  I mentioned that Chris seemed to have mellowed so one might
have expected that he might try to prove otherwise.  But it still not to
the old standard.  (Sorry, Chris.)

The advantage of WJM is that people who are paying attention and want to
avoid flames take care to be respectful, thankful, and avoid being
presumptuous.  That is certainly what I've tried to do.

- Barry
  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are not made on behalf of NIAID.