public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2005-09-09  1:03 James R. Phillips
From: James R. Phillips @ 2005-09-09  1:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

The top-level web page links off to ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/,
instead of the lower-level install directory.  If you know it is there (I guess
you did), you'll find it, otherwise you won't find it by browsing from the top
of the web page hierarchy.

Anyway, at ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, there is no upset package.
Which is what I reported.

* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2005-09-09  1:27 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-09-09  1:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List, antiskid56-cygwin

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:

> The top-level web page links off to
> ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, instead of the lower-level
> install directory.  If you know it is there (I guess you did), you'll
> find it, otherwise you won't find it by browsing from the top of the web
> page hierarchy.
>
> Anyway, at ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, there is no upset
> package. Which is what I reported.

The Google results for the search string I gave point you directly at the
upset script on Yaakov's page -- no need to go through the top-level
page... :-D

May the hippo be with you...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2005-09-09  1:59   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2005-09-09  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:03:12PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:
>>The top-level web page links off to
>>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, instead of the lower-level
>>install directory.  If you know it is there (I guess you did), you'll
>>find it, otherwise you won't find it by browsing from the top of the
>>web page hierarchy.
>>
>>Anyway, at ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, there is no upset
>>package.  Which is what I reported.
>
>The Google results for the search string I gave point you directly at
>the upset script on Yaakov's page -- no need to go through the
>top-level page...  :-D

Cygwin: We make complicated things simple so that you can make simple
things complicated.

cgf

* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2005-09-09  5:10     ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2005-09-09  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On a gloomy Thursday, the 8th day of September, 2005, Christopher Faylor's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 09:03:12PM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> >On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:
> >>The top-level web page links off to
> >>ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, instead of the lower-level
> >>install directory.  If you know it is there (I guess you did), you'll
> >>find it, otherwise you won't find it by browsing from the top of the
> >>web page hierarchy.
> >>
> >>Anyway, at ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/cygwinports/, there is no upset
> >>package.  Which is what I reported.
> >
> >The Google results for the search string I gave point you directly at
> >the upset script on Yaakov's page -- no need to go through the
> >top-level page...  :-D
>
> Cygwin: We make complicated things simple so that you can make simple
> things complicated.

That's what makes it fun!

OAU

P.S. That slogan has GOT to go somewhere on cygwin.com
P.P.S. Besides <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-talk/2005-q3/msg00353.html>

* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2007-03-30 12:52   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-03-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 08:26:51AM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:
>James R. Phillips schrieb:

Why are you responding to a 1.5 year old message?

cgf

* Re: Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2007-03-30  6:27 ` Reini Urban
From: Reini Urban @ 2007-03-30  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

@ 2005-09-09  0:49 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-09-09  0:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List, antiskid56-cygwin

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:

Umm...

> > Subject: Re: Upset (was Re: [ITP] libmad/libmad0/libmad-devel: A high-quality
> > MPEG audio decoder

> > > How nice for you, and other long-time cygwin developers/packagers that
> > > have been grandfathered into this arrangement, because you downloaded
> > > upset when it was available, which it is not now, thus reducing the
> > > testability and quality of packages built by those not having this
> > > resource.  It must be wonderful to have powerful tools like this - kind
> > > of like having unix available in windows.
> >
> > I've asked this before, and didn't quite understand the rationale for
> > pulling upset from CVS (I *could* understand not accepting patches for it,
> > and vetoing attempts to add it to the distribution).  Upset is a tool that
> > lets others generate external mirrors with their own packages; keeping it
> > on sourceware essentially guarantees that those mirrors will have the
> > format compatible with setup.exe.  Perhaps we could bring it back as a
> > tool to aid packagers, with the comment at the top that it's not to be
> > changed or released by anyone except CGF?
> >
> > FWIW, googling for "cygwin setup upset" brings up two versions: Yaakov's
> > (at cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net), and Reini's (at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at).
> > HTH,
> > 	Igor
>
> Both these sites look interesting, and are probably of interest to a wider
> audience.  I only find a version of upset at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at.

Huh?  Do you mean that the upset script on Yaakov's site doesn't have a
version number?  Because there certainly is an upset script at
<http://cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net/install/>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Fwd: Re: Upset
@ 2005-09-09  0:13 James R. Phillips
From: James R. Phillips @ 2005-09-09  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> On Wed, 7 Sep 2005, James R. Phillips wrote:
>
> > --- Charles Wilson  wrote:
> >
> > > Side note: I often use an old copy of upset to generate setup.ini's for
> > > my locally built packages which I store in a cygwin/release tree on my
> > > private server, and add that URI to my setup.exe's URI list.  I once
> > > advocated ("RFD: A modest proposal #2: unsupported"
> > > http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00306.html) having an
> > > 'unsupported' tree on the official mirrors similar to the existing
> > > 'release' tree but that was shot down for good reason.  IIRC at some
> > > point in the discussion it was pointed out that the existing
> > > functionality in setup was sufficient to solve the problem I described,
> > > and much more flexible, and did not require official sanction from the
> > > cygwin mirror system.
> >
> > How nice for you, and other long-time cygwin developers/packagers that
> > have been grandfathered into this arrangement, because you downloaded
> > upset when it was available, which it is not now, thus reducing the
> > testability and quality of packages built by those not having this
> > resource.  It must be wonderful to have powerful tools like this - kind
> > of like having unix available in windows.
>
> I've asked this before, and didn't quite understand the rationale for
> pulling upset from CVS (I *could* understand not accepting patches for it,
> and vetoing attempts to add it to the distribution).  Upset is a tool that
> lets others generate external mirrors with their own packages; keeping it
> on sourceware essentially guarantees that those mirrors will have the
> format compatible with setup.exe.  Perhaps we could bring it back as a
> tool to aid packagers, with the comment at the top that it's not to be
> changed or released by anyone except CGF?
>
> FWIW, googling for "cygwin setup upset" brings up two versions: Yaakov's
> (at cygwin-ports.sourceforge.net), and Reini's (at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at).
> HTH,
> 	Igor
> --

Both these sites look interesting, and are probably of interest to a wider
audience.  I only find a version of upset at xarch.tu-graz.ac.at.

JRP