public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* RE: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-02 22:28 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2005-12-02 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
>
>> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

>>> I was a bit taken aback by seeing an unquoted initial "From" in a
>>> 	message, until I saw the raw message source.  Looks like Barry's
>>> mailer uses quoted-printable encoding to quote the initial "F" (as
>>> "=46").  Very clever -- I wonder what mailer that is... Igor
>>
>> Outlook 2003 SP1/Exchange Server with Outlook-QuoteFix ver. 0.90.
>> I've no control over it, except to use Outlook-QF.
>>
>> If "Very clever ..." was meant to be sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek,
>> sorry to have answered seriously.
>
> It wasn't, actually.  Thanks for a real answer.  It's always annoyed
> 	me to see the leading "From" appear as ">From"...  Heh,
Microsoft
> has done something right for a change... :-) Igor

From other postings, <= cut and paste from above.

Sure it's not Outlook-QuoteFix?  Immediately above, through the wonders
of cut-and-paste, is an experiment.  This email (though not its text)
has never seen Outlook-QuoteFix.  Did it still get =46 right?  (I'm
loath to give MS undeserved credit.)

- Barry

* RE: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-02 22:44 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-12-02 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >> Outlook 2003 SP1/Exchange Server with Outlook-QuoteFix ver. 0.90.
> >> I've no control over it, except to use Outlook-QF.
> >>
> >> If "Very clever ..." was meant to be sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek,
> >> sorry to have answered seriously.
> >
> > It wasn't, actually.  Thanks for a real answer.  It's always annoyed
> > me to see the leading "From" appear as ">From"...  Heh, Microsoft
> > has done something right for a change... :-) Igor
>
> >From other postings, <= cut and paste from above.
  ^^^^^
> Sure it's not Outlook-QuoteFix?  Immediately above, through the wonders
> of cut-and-paste, is an experiment.  This email (though not its text)
> has never seen Outlook-QuoteFix.  Did it still get =46 right?  (I'm
> loath to give MS undeserved credit.)

Yep, what do you know, the "grim 'greater' garb" is back...  Yay for
QuoteFix. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-04 17:43   ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2005-12-04 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:43:49PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
>
> > Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > It wasn't, actually.  Thanks for a real answer.  It's always annoyed
> > > me to see the leading "From" appear as ">From"...  Heh, Microsoft
> > > has done something right for a change... :-) Igor
> >
> > >From other postings, <= cut and paste from above.
>   ^^^^^
> > Sure it's not Outlook-QuoteFix?  Immediately above, through the wonders
> > of cut-and-paste, is an experiment.  This email (though not its text)
> > has never seen Outlook-QuoteFix.  Did it still get =46 right?  (I'm
> > loath to give MS undeserved credit.)
>
> Yep, what do you know, the "grim 'greater' garb" is back...  Yay for
> QuoteFix. :-)

I got an =46.

* Re: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-04 23:04     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-12-04 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Malingering List

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:43:49PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >   ^^^^^
> > > Sure it's not Outlook-QuoteFix?  Immediately above, through the wonders
> > > of cut-and-paste, is an experiment.  This email (though not its text)
> > > has never seen Outlook-QuoteFix.  Did it still get =46 right?  (I'm
> > > loath to give MS undeserved credit.)
> >
> > Yep, what do you know, the "grim 'greater' garb" is back...  Yay for
> > QuoteFix. :-)
>
> I got an =46.

Why, so you did (as did the web archives).  Interesting.  Looks like my
mailer (pine) is partly to blame for the leading "From" quoting...  I
wonder if the leading "From" will end up quoted when posting from pine:
From testing.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* RE: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-02 20:53 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2005-12-02 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Fri, 2 Dec 2005, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
> >>
> >> H. S. wrote:
> >> [snip]

> >> From other postings, I see that you've found the answer to your
> >> ^^^^^^ question.  But for completeness in the archives ....
> >>
> >> I don't use SSH so don't know what you are dealing with.  But in
> >> 	shell scripts, if test -z "${NVAR}"
> >> or
> >> 	if test ! -z "${VAR}"
> >> can test whether VAR has a value.
> >
> > I was a bit taken aback by seeing an unquoted initial "From" in a
> > 	message, until I saw the raw message source.  Looks like Barry's
> > mailer uses quoted-printable encoding to quote the initial "F" (as
> > "=46").  Very clever -- I wonder what mailer that is... Igor
>
> Outlook 2003 SP1/Exchange Server with Outlook-QuoteFix ver. 0.90.  I've
> no control over it, except to use Outlook-QF.
>
> If "Very clever ..." was meant to be sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek, sorry
> to have answered seriously.

It wasn't, actually.  Thanks for a real answer.  It's always annoyed me to
see the leading "From" appear as ">From"...  Heh, Microsoft has done
something right for a change... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Obligatory mention of hippos for an on-topic message... :-)

* RE: how to detect if Windows or Linux is running?
@ 2005-12-02 19:28 Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) @ 2005-12-02 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2005-12-02 15:41 Igor Pechtchanski