public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call
       [not found]   ` <C33FC55B-5CDC-4FB3-942E-43F7DB5819AC@andrew.cmu.edu>
@ 2006-08-28 19:11     ` mwoehlke
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk; +Cc: ejt

Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
> PS First attempt of this email got kicked back because it had a
> text/html mime type alongside the text/plain.

You mean we actually do that? Sweet!

> Oh my god, that's the  end of the world, let me tell you.

Apparently it was not, as we're both still here.

> Can't your list server just strip the html version if you dislike html
> so much?

I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL) from continuing to send the
stuff in ignorance; i.e. to force people to fix - or at least understand
- their mailer.

> And even so, is HTML really so bad?

Yes. Many people (including me) hate it, it's a security concern, it
leads to a non-homogeneous experience...

http://www.birdhouse.org/etc/evilmail.html
http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml (and links)
http://www.vexen.co.uk/notes/htmlemails.html

> Wouldn't it be nice to
> have syntax-highlighted code samples?

If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?), you
have too much time on your hands.

For the record, GRC's newsgroup also rejects HTML messages (as well as
anything over 20kb), so Cygwin isn't alone here.

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech

* html email (was Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call)
@ 2006-08-28 19:25       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:11:27PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>>PS First attempt of this email got kicked back because it had a
>>text/html mime type alongside the text/plain.
>
>You mean we actually do that? Sweet!

Yes, and as you surmised, it is a fairly good intelligence filter.

Btw, why move this topic to the cygwin-talk list?  As much as I think
it's a stupid discussion, it is on-topic for the cygwin list.

>>Wouldn't it be nice to have syntax-highlighted code samples?
>
>If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?), you
>have too much time on your hands.
>
>For the record, GRC's newsgroup also rejects HTML messages (as well as
>anything over 20kb), so Cygwin isn't alone here.

the same policy.

But, IMO, the technique of "I would like you to help me but, before I
do, let me tell you that the method you've chosen to allow me to do that
is really not to my liking" still seems like a pretty bad way of asking
for help if you are expecting results.

cgf

* Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call
@ 2006-08-28 19:57       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

mwoehlke wrote:
> Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>> Can't your list server just strip the html version if you dislike html
>> so much?
>
> I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
> point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
> don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL) from continuing to send the
> stuff in ignorance; i.e. to force people to fix - or at least understand
> - their mailer.

Clarification: someone e-mailed me privately
(http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE, btw) and pointed out that I meant
"HTML *mail*" in the above sentence.

--

@ 2006-08-28 20:00         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:57:25PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>mwoehlke wrote:
>>Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>>>Can't your list server just strip the html version if you dislike html
>>>so much?
>>
>>I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
>>point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
>>don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL) from continuing to send the
>>stuff in ignorance; i.e. to force people to fix - or at least understand
>>- their mailer.
>
>Clarification: someone e-mailed me privately
>(http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE, btw) and pointed out that I meant
>"HTML *mail*" in the above sentence.

Ahhhh...   I'm glad you clarified.  I was just busily changing the whole
Cygwin/Sourceware web site to raw text.

cgf

* Re: html email (was Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call)
@ 2006-08-28 20:03         ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:11:27PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>>> PS First attempt of this email got kicked back because it had a
>>> text/html mime type alongside the text/plain.
>> You mean we actually do that? Sweet!
>
> Yes, and as you surmised, it is a fairly good intelligence filter.
>
> Btw, why move this topic to the cygwin-talk list?  As much as I think
> it's a stupid discussion, it is on-topic for the cygwin list.

Because, as you pointed out, it is a stupid discussion? My own instinct
is to move anything that isn't Cygwin to -talk. This is about the list,
not Cygwin itself. But it was a border area, so if I have anything
purposeful to say I'll move it back.

>>> Wouldn't it be nice to have syntax-highlighted code samples?
>> If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?), you
>> have too much time on your hands.
>>
>> For the record, GRC's newsgroup also rejects HTML messages (as well as
>> anything over 20kb), so Cygwin isn't alone here.

> the same policy.
>
> But, IMO, the technique of "I would like you to help me but, before I
> do, let me tell you that the method you've chosen to allow me to do that
> is really not to my liking" still seems like a pretty bad way of asking
> for help if you are expecting results.

No argument here. :-)

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 20:08           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:02:42PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>>You mean we actually do that? Sweet!
>>
>>Yes, and as you surmised, it is a fairly good intelligence filter.
>>
>>Btw, why move this topic to the cygwin-talk list?  As much as I think
>>it's a stupid discussion, it is on-topic for the cygwin list.
>
>Because, as you pointed out, it is a stupid discussion? My own instinct
>is to move anything that isn't Cygwin to -talk. This is about the list,
>not Cygwin itself. But it was a border area, so if I have anything
>purposeful to say I'll move it back.

Ok.  I just think that sometimes points need to be made in the main list
and, because you were agreeing with me, these were obviously good points!

OTOH, if there isn't much more discussion about this subject on the main
cygwin list then your instincts were spot on.

cgf

* Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call
@ 2006-08-28 20:09           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:57:25PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> mwoehlke wrote:
>>> I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
>>> point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
>>> don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL) from continuing to send the
>>> stuff in ignorance; i.e. to force people to fix - or at least understand
>>> - their mailer.
>> Clarification: someone e-mailed me privately
>> (http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE, btw) and pointed out that I meant
>> "HTML *mail*" in the above sentence.
>
> Ahhhh...   I'm glad you clarified.  I was just busily changing the whole
> Cygwin/Sourceware web site to raw text.

Wow, I'm glad I MADE that mistake! It was worth it to read that. :-D

Excuse me while I look for something to soothe my aching diaphragm ;-).
Dr. Hippo! Dr. Hippo! Do you have anything for sore diaphragms?

--
Matthew
We are Microsoft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile. --Badtech

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 20:23       ` Ethan Tira-Thompson
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Ethan Tira-Thompson @ 2006-08-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Resending as per Mike's PPIOSPE (not sure why the 'reply' to you went
private, unless your original mail was private to me?  In which case
PPIOSPE back-atcha :)

---------------------------

> I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea.
> The point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and
> thus don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL)
That's a matter of opinion.  And if you don't like HTML or consider
it a security problem, just set your mail reader to ignore it and
display the plain text, and those of us who want to see the full
content of the message can see the HTML.  It's not that big a deal,
I'm surprised to see so much religious zealotry here.

All of those links you provide are arguments against HTML-only
email.  I agree that's a bad idea.  But when most mail programs send
both plain text and HTML, the arguments are moot.  As long as the
plain text version is there, what's the big deal?

For instance, you're right that it's non-homogenous.  But take that
to its conclusion: some people want to use lynx to view the web,
that's fine and there are ways to give them a usable experience (e.g.
'alt' tags for images), but non-homogeneity isn't a good enough
reason to deny the rest of us the full web page just because some
people want to live in their console.  There's no progress in
technology if everyone is held to the same lowest common denominator.

There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text
in email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich
text crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.

> If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
> you have too much time on your hands.
Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing
needs a standard?
In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping
it through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser
platform.

-ethan

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 20:51         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk, The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:23:24PM -0400, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text
>in email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich
>text crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.

There is a meta-issue implied by discussions like these.  You've entered
a zone where this kind of thing has been part of the culture for ten
years.  Obviously the people who run the sourceware.org site have strong
feelings about not allowing html mail.  What special qualifications do
you think you bring to the table which would sway someone?  Do you have
a lot of experience running a technical site like this one?  Are you an
expert in MIME?

FWIW, if you really want to bring about change, then the people who
decide about these things (I'm one of a handful of people with opinions
about this) hang out at the overseers mailing list at sourceware.org.

I can, again, say with very great certainty that none of them are
interested in changing the default for the site.

>>If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
>>you have too much time on your hands.
>Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing
>needs a standard?
>In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
>the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping
>it through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser
>platform.
>
>-ethan

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 20:54           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk, The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:23:24PM -0400, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text
>in email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich
>text crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.

There is a meta-issue implied by discussions like these.  You've entered
a zone where this kind of thing has been part of the culture for ten
years.  Obviously the people who run the sourceware.org site have strong
feelings about not allowing html mail.  What special qualifications do
you think you bring to the table which would sway someone?  Do you have
a lot of experience running a technical site like this one?  Are you an
expert in MIME?

FWIW, if you really want to bring about change, then the people who
decide about these things (I'm one of a handful of people with opinions
about this) hang out at the overseers mailing list at sourceware.org.

I can, again, say with very great certainty that none of them are
interested in changing the default for the site.

>>If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
>>you have too much time on your hands.
>Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing
>needs a standard?
>In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
>the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping
>it through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser
>platform.
>
>-ethan

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 20:57           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-28 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:51:04PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:23:24PM -0400, Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>>There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text
>>in email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich
>>text crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.
>
>There is a meta-issue implied by discussions like these.  You've entered
>a zone where this kind of thing has been part of the culture for ten
>years.  Obviously the people who run the sourceware.org site have strong
>feelings about not allowing html mail.  What special qualifications do
>you think you bring to the table which would sway someone?  Do you have
>a lot of experience running a technical site like this one?  Are you an
>expert in MIME?
>
>FWIW, if you really want to bring about change, then the people who
>decide about these things (I'm one of a handful of people with opinions
>about this) hang out at the overseers mailing list at sourceware.org.
>
>I can, again, say with very great certainty that none of them are
>interested in changing the default for the site.

When responding to the above, please remember to remove the inexplicably
added extra mailing list address which caused me to double post.

cgf

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 21:01         ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
> Resending as per Mike's PPIOSPE (not sure why the 'reply' to you went
> private, unless your original mail was private to me?  In which case
> PPIOSPE back-atcha :)

"Mike"? Who's "Mike"? :-)
As for your question, your question, a: because I can't set reply-to
(AFAIK Thunderbird doesn't let you set it on individual groups, which is
needed as I also subscribe to several non-Cygwin lists which would not
be amused if my reply-to was a Cygwin address), and b: because I CC'd
you, not knowing if you were watching cygwin-talk. Welcome! Watch for
falling hippos. Anyway, yes I did send to you privately, but *also* to
the list. :-) But no worries, you're here now.

And since you're here, I'll copy my reply (sans prior clarification) for
anyone else's benefit.

> All of those links you provide are arguments against HTML-only email.

(Right, because I meant "HTML *mail*", as clarified above and in private
mail :-). So I've snipped the bits that were only relevant to that slip
on my part.)

> I agree that's a bad idea.  But when most mail programs send both plain
> text and HTML, the arguments are moot.  As long as the plain text
> version is there, what's the big deal?

Keep in mind that this is a *mailing list*, and there are additional
concerns... like digests, archives, and that the list is proactively
preventing people from abusing HTML for nefarious purposes. That, and
you forgot the bandwidth issue.

> There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text in
> email.  I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich text
> crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.

In a word, bandwidth.

>> If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
>> you have too much time on your hands.
> Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing needs
> a standard?

Oh? Funny, when I look at source, keywords are green, comments are gray,
normal text is cyan, etc, and everything has a dark blue background. See
what I mean? :-) There are many ways to highlight code, and not all are
the same. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm just pointing out that
you and I may have different ideas on how it should be done.

> In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
> the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping it
> through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser platform.

Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).

--

@ 2006-08-28 21:09           ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-28 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 02:57:25PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
> >mwoehlke wrote:
> >>
> >>I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
> >>point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
> >>don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL) from continuing to send the
> >>stuff in ignorance; i.e. to force people to fix - or at least understand
> >>- their mailer.
> >
> >Clarification: someone e-mailed me privately
> >(http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PPIOSPE, btw) and pointed out that I meant
> >"HTML *mail*" in the above sentence.
>
> Ahhhh...   I'm glad you clarified.  I was just busily changing the whole
> Cygwin/Sourceware web site to raw text.

Isn't making people cut-and-paste the links into their browser very much
in line with the WJM philosophy? :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 21:30         ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-28 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a balmy Monday, the 28th day of August, 2006, Ethan Tira-Thompson's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> > I'm not sure silently stripping the HTML part is the right idea. The
> > point is to stop people that don't know what they're doing (and thus
> > don't understand why HTML is EVIL EVIL EVIL)
>
> That's a matter of opinion.  And if you don't like HTML or consider it a
> security problem, just set your mail reader to ignore it and display the
> plain text, and those of us who want to see the full content of the
> message can see the HTML.  It's not that big a deal, I'm surprised to
> see so much religious zealotry here.
>
> All of those links you provide are arguments against HTML-only email.
> I agree that's a bad idea.  But when most mail programs send both plain
> text and HTML, the arguments are moot.  As long as the plain text
> version is there, what's the big deal?

HTML takes up about 3 times as much space...

> For instance, you're right that it's non-homogenous.  But take that to
> its conclusion: some people want to use lynx to view the web, that's
> fine and there are ways to give them a usable experience (e.g. 'alt'
> tags for images), but non-homogeneity isn't a good enough reason to deny
> the rest of us the full web page just because some people want to live
> in their console.  There's no progress in technology if everyone is held
> to the same lowest common denominator.
>
> There's a well defined way to support both plain text and rich text in
> email. I don't see why the plain text crowd has to say the rich text
> crowd can't coexist when there's a viable way to support both.
>
> > If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
> > you have too much time on your hands.
>
> Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing needs
> a standard?

The style that uses red comments and blue keywords doesn't need a
standard, it needs an eye doctor.  Yuck!  Everyone knows keywords are dark
purple and bold and comments are blue and slanted.

Oh, and don't forget to set the right font for the code, otherwise it
looks even uglier.

> In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
> the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so, piping it
> through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a lesser platform.

Ah, so now we're talking about Postscript mail?

Besides, the readability of most code I've seen would benefit much more
from proper indentation than from syntax highlighting...

OAU

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-28 22:30           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-28 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

One Angry User wrote:
> On a balmy Monday, the 28th day of August, 2006, Ethan Tira-Thompson's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>>> If you plan to highlight your example code (and by what standard?),
>>> you have too much time on your hands.
>> Standard?  Keywords are blue, comments are red, that kind of thing needs
>> a standard?
>
> The style that uses red comments and blue keywords doesn't need a
> standard, it needs an eye doctor.  Yuck!  Everyone knows keywords are dark
> purple and bold and comments are blue and slanted.

My point exactly. :-)

--

@ 2006-08-29  0:59           ` George
From: George @ 2006-08-29  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 05:09:47PM -0400, One Angry User wrote:
> On a balmy Monday, the 28th day of August, 2006, Ethan Tira-Thompson's
> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
> > > [...]
>
> The style that uses red comments and blue keywords doesn't need a
> standard, it needs an eye doctor.  Yuck!  Everyone knows keywords are
> dark purple and bold and comments are blue and slanted.

> Oh, and don't forget to set the right font for the code, otherwise it
> looks even uglier.

These kids with their fancy text editors.  Syntax hilighting is for
sissies.  Text should be green, on a black background the way God
intended it to look.

> [...]
> Besides, the readability of most code I've seen would benefit much
> more from proper indentation than from syntax highlighting...

Only if you're using tabs with 4 characters per indent.  Otherwise, it
makes things as hard to read as email from people who insist on
indenting every paragraph of their email messages.  Go figure.

If you want me to go on arguing, you'll have to pay for another five
minutes.

--
George

* Re: html email (gold star)
@ 2006-08-29  1:45             ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-29  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>OTOH, if there isn't much more discussion about this subject on the main
>cygwin list then your instincts were spot on.

Can I get a gold star over here OA..., er, Igor for someone who wisely
moved a discussion to the talk list when cgf unwisely didn't think it
was necessary?

cgf

* Re: html email (gold star)
@ 2006-08-29  1:52               ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-29  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >OTOH, if there isn't much more discussion about this subject on the main
> >cygwin list then your instincts were spot on.
>
> Can I get a gold star over here OA..., er, Igor for someone who wisely

You meant CKOA, didn't you?

> moved a discussion to the talk list when cgf unwisely didn't think it
> was necessary?

Done.
	Igor
--

@ 2006-08-29  2:41         ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-29  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On 28 August 2006 20:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> But, IMO, the technique of "I would like you to help me but, before I
> do, let me tell you that the method you've chosen to allow me to do that
> is really not to my liking" still seems like a pretty bad way of asking
> for help if you are expecting results.

  Or, IOW, http://isbn.nu/0671723650 !

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: html email (gold star)
@ 2006-08-29  4:35               ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 04:08:02PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >OTOH, if there isn't much more discussion about this subject on the
> >main cygwin list then your instincts were spot on.
>
> Can I get a gold star over here OA..., er, Igor for someone
> who wisely moved a discussion to the talk list when cgf
> unwisely didn't think it was necessary?
>
> cgf

??? I did the same thing once and got "banned" (well, unsubscribed) for my
troubles.  Huh.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: html email (gold star)
@ 2006-08-29  9:18                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-29  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:12:10PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> [...]

You are one SERIOUSLY confused individual.

cgf

* RE: html email (gold star)
@ 2006-08-29  9:44                   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-29  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'the gary conspiracy'

On 29 August 2006 05:36, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 10:12:10PM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:

  Only one?  I reckon he's a committee!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: html email (was Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call)
@ 2006-08-29 15:15           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-29 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 28 August 2006 20:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> But, IMO, the technique of "I would like you to help me but, before I
>> do, let me tell you that the method you've chosen to allow me to do that
>> is really not to my liking" still seems like a pretty bad way of asking
>> for help if you are expecting results.
>
>   Or, IOW, http://isbn.nu/0671723650 !

"Hey! Where's the witty 'To:' field?" -- Hostess misquote :-)

--
Matthew
Ncurses. Blessing console programs since 1993.

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-29 15:38           ` Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes
From: Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes @ 2006-08-29 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:55:50PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
> this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).

KDE is a lesser platform -
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/ch19lev1sec2.html

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-29 15:48             ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-29 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:55:50PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
>> this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).
>
> KDE is a lesser platform -
> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/ch19lev1sec2.html

Excuse me... Pun Police! Where are the Pun Police? :-)

--

@ 2006-08-29 15:51               ` Sam Robb
From: Sam Robb @ 2006-08-29 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 10:43 -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
> Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:55:50PM -0500, mwoehlke wrote:
> >> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
> >> this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).
> >
> > KDE is a lesser platform -
> > http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/ch19lev1sec2.html
>
> Excuse me... Pun Police! Where are the Pun Police? :-)

Ask, and ye shall receive...

http://www.galactanet.com/comic/268.htm

-Samrobb

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-29 16:06           ` Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2006-08-29 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

mwoehlke wrote:
> Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>> In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
>> the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so,
>> piping it through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a
>> lesser platform.
>
> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
> this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).

Outlook will do that.  I was rather surprised the first time I saw it.

Can't remember what I was pasting from, though.  Probably VisualStudio.

Cary

* RE: html email (was Re: cygserver blocking on semctl(SETVAL) call)
@ 2006-08-29 16:20             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-29 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'alright, alright already, sometimes I just forget, ok?'

On 29 August 2006 15:47, mwoehlke wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 28 August 2006 20:26, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>> But, IMO, the technique of "I would like you to help me but, before I
>>> do, let me tell you that the method you've chosen to allow me to do that
>>> is really not to my liking" still seems like a pretty bad way of asking
>>> for help if you are expecting results.
>>
>>   Or, IOW, http://isbn.nu/0671723650 !
>
> "Hey! Where's the witty 'To:' field?" -- Hostess misquote :-)

  Better?  :)

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: html email
@ 2006-08-29 16:31             ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-29 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Cary Jamison wrote:
> mwoehlke wrote:
>> Ethan Tira-Thompson wrote:
>>> In any case, when I copy and paste code from my editor, it can retain
>>> the syntax coloring.  It's very straightforward.  But even so,
>>> piping it through enscript isn't difficult either if I was on a
>>> lesser platform.
>> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't do
>> this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).
>
> Outlook will do that.  I was rather surprised the first time I saw it.
> Can't remember what I was pasting from, though.  Probably VisualStudio.

Well, the "probably" is the interesting part. Whether or not Outlook can
paste RTF (I already knew it can) is beside the point, the question was
what editors ("probably Visual Studio") will put RTF on the clipboard? :-)

--

@ 2006-08-29 17:09               ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-29 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 29 August 2006 15:47, mwoehlke wrote:
>
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>   Or, IOW, http://isbn.nu/0671723650 !
>> "Hey! Where's the witty 'To:' field?" -- Hostess misquote :-)
>
>   Better?  :)

"Now that's the stuff!" ;-)

--

@ 2006-08-29 20:31               ` Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2006-08-29 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

mwoehlke wrote:
> Cary Jamison wrote:
>> mwoehlke wrote:
>>> Never saw that; what editor do you use? Anyway, AFAIK KATE doesn't
>>> do this (and I *dare* you to call it/KDE a "lesser platform" :-)).
>>
>> Outlook will do that.  I was rather surprised the first time I saw
>> it. Can't remember what I was pasting from, though.  Probably
>> VisualStudio.
>
> Well, the "probably" is the interesting part. Whether or not Outlook
> can paste RTF (I already knew it can) is beside the point, the
> question was what editors ("probably Visual Studio") will put RTF on
> the clipboard? :-)

Oops, you did ask which editor he was using.  I just did a quick test of the
various editors/ides I use that do syntax highlighting: jbuilder,
activestate python, xemacs, visualstudio.  It seems only visualstudio
supports this.

Cary