public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-27 21:52 Christopher Faylor
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-06-27 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina

cgf

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  0:17 ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-06-28  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  1:00 ` Cesar Strauss
From: Cesar Strauss @ 2007-06-28  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina
>
> cgf

From http://www.openlina.com/faq.html:

> 18. Q: What does LINA stand for?
>     A: LINA is not an acronym.

... or is it?

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  1:07   ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2007-06-28  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a rainy Wednesday night, the 27th day of June, 2007, Robert Pendell's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not
> via cygwin.
>
> On 6/27/07, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina
> >
> > cgf

Yeah, I can't wait to see it running on Windows 200!

OAU

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  1:09   ` Matthew Woehlke
From: Matthew Woehlke @ 2007-06-28  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Robert Pendell wrote:
> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not
> via cygwin.

Um... have you been paying *any* attention to KDE4 development? KDE 4.1
is planned to be available as native Windows programs :-).

If you're interested in KDE on Windows, you should come help out; we
desperately need Windows developers (I am not one ;-), I only do Linux).

--
Matthew
"Please remain calm... I may be mad, but I am a professional."

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  1:10   ` Matthew Woehlke
From: Matthew Woehlke @ 2007-06-28  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Cesar Strauss wrote:
> From http://www.openlina.com/faq.html:
>
>> 18. Q: What does LINA stand for?
>>     A: LINA is not an acronym.
>
> ... or is it?

It is now! ;-)

--

@ 2007-06-28  2:49     ` Ed C. Lueless
From: Ed C. Lueless @ 2007-06-28  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:07:07PM -0400, One Angry User wrote:
>On a rainy Wednesday night, the 27th day of June, 2007, Robert Pendell's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
>> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
>> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not
>> via cygwin.
>>
>> On 6/27/07, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> > http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina
>
>Yeah, I can't wait to see it running on Windows 200!

I don't think there is such a beast.  Maybe you mean Vi$ta.  I think
Mikeysoft might be interested in knowing about a version of Windoze
that was written before there were even computers!

EdC
--
   "Ed, you're the man"           -- my boss

   "...What will you do now with your pitiable moment?"

   "I shall continue to live it," Carmody said.  "That is what
    moments are for."
                -- Robert Sheckley, _Dimension of Miracles_

* RE: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  2:59       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-28  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'why in the name of sanity am i awake and writing
	mind-meltingly complex low-assembler code at this ungodly
	hour?'

On 28 June 2007 03:50, Ed C. Lueless wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 09:07:07PM -0400, One Angry User wrote:
>> On a rainy Wednesday night, the 27th day of June, 2007, Robert Pendell's
>> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>>
>>> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
>>> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
>>> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not via cygwin.

>> Yeah, I can't wait to see it running on Windows 200!
>
> I don't think there is such a beast.  Maybe you mean Vi$ta.  I think
> Mikeysoft might be interested in knowing about a version of Windoze
> that was written before there were even computers!
>
> EdC

  Nah, he means it.  Windows 200(BC) ran on most contemporary abacuses,
although many had to have more beads and thicker wires installed to handle the
heavy system load it imposed.  Known to the Romans as "Windows CC", it was the
first operating system to allow you to send a message to several citizens at
once (by dispatching a bunch of slaves in parallel), and to this day we still
refer to a secondary destination for an email in a "CC" line.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  4:01         ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2007-06-28  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Dave Korn wrote:

> Known to the Romans as "Windows CC"....

Oh, yeah, I remember that one.  It was back when BILLVS GATVS was
chairman of the company, right?

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28  7:07 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-28  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Jun 27 17:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina

The dual licensing thingy sounds vaguly like something I have heard
about before...

Corinna

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 10:17     ` Saro Engels
From: Saro Engels @ 2007-06-28 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
> Robert Pendell wrote:
>> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
>> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
>> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not
>> via cygwin.
>
> Um... have you been paying *any* attention to KDE4 development? KDE 4.1
> is planned to be available as native Windows programs :-).
>
> If you're interested in KDE on Windows, you should come help out; we
> desperately need Windows developers (I am not one ;-), I only do Linux).

Would you mind to post a point where to begin?
And is there any possibility to integrate KDE-apps a bit tighter into
cygwin? I am thinking of trying to build some cygwin packages.
SE

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 11:11       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-06-28 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 12:17:38PM +0200, Saro Engels wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
>> Robert Pendell wrote:
>>> Oh I hope that it works out well.  This will help with making
>>> more applications cross-platform.  I can see it now... KDE
>>> for windows -- running natively as the system shell and not
>>> via cygwin.
>> Um... have you been paying *any* attention to KDE4 development? KDE 4.1 is
>> planned to be available as native Windows programs :-).
>> If you're interested in KDE on Windows, you should come help out; we
>> desperately need Windows developers (I am not one ;-), I only do Linux).
> Would you mind to post a point where to begin?
> And is there any possibility to integrate KDE-apps a bit tighter into
> cygwin? I am thinking of trying to build some cygwin packages.

No.  It's absolutely impossible.  KDE-apps are known to chafe if
integrated too tightly.

From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-06-28 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:07:36AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Jun 27 17:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina
>
>The dual licensing thingy sounds vaguly like something I have heard
>about before...

Yeah.  Me too.  Now if I could only place where I heard about it.

cgf

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 12:48     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-06-28 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Jun 28 07:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:07:36AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Jun 27 17:52, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >> http://apcmag.com/6512/linux_on_windows_with_lina
> >
> >The dual licensing thingy sounds vaguly like something I have heard
> >about before...
>
> Yeah.  Me too.  Now if I could only place where I heard about it.

Something with C in the name..., or Y..., no, sorry, beats me.

Corinna

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 14:22         ` Andrew Louie
From: Andrew Louie @ 2007-06-28 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On 6/27/07, Dave Korn  wrote:
>   Nah, he means it.  Windows 200(BC) ran on most contemporary abacuses,
> although many had to have more beads and thicker wires installed to handle the
> heavy system load it imposed.  Known to the Romans as "Windows CC", it was the
> first operating system to allow you to send a message to several citizens at
> once (by dispatching a bunch of slaves in parallel), and to this day we still
> refer to a secondary destination for an email in a "CC" line.

Actually the key difference between windows 200 and other modern
abacuses at the time, was that windows 200 required an extra bead for
line breaks, which lead to many headaches for abacuses users trying
get their windows 200 programs to run on more modern abacuses.

--
-Andrew Louie

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 14:31       ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-06-28 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> On Jun 28 07:11, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> > >
> > >The dual licensing thingy sounds vaguly like something I have heard
> > >about before...
> >
> > Yeah.  Me too.  Now if I could only place where I heard about it.
>
> Something with C in the name..., or Y..., no, sorry, beats me.

"IN".  Definitely "IN".

No, wait, that's LINA...  Never mind.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 16:21       ` Matthew Woehlke
From: Matthew Woehlke @ 2007-06-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Saro Engels wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
>> If you're interested in KDE on Windows, you should come help out; we
>> desperately need Windows developers (I am not one ;-), I only do Linux).
>
> Would you mind to post a point where to begin?

Most newcomers introduce themselves on kde-devel, or you could pop onto
freenode (#kde4-devel) and ask where the Windows developers hang out.

Freenode: http://www.freenode.net

> And is there any possibility to integrate KDE-apps a bit tighter into
> cygwin? I am thinking of trying to build some cygwin packages.

You probably won't get a lot of support there, currently we're trying to
build KDE as /native/ Windows binaries, not Cygwin binaries. Maybe you
could talk about making them 'Cygwin aware' though? At any rate, this
should probably be moved to kde-devel AT kde DOT org.

A native Cygwin build is likely to be a major undertaking, since you
have to start with dbus, Qt4.3 and several other libraries that have
AFAIK never been tried on Cygwin, and as I've said, you're likely to be
the only one working on them.

--
Matthew
"Let's call it an accidental feature." -- Larry Wall

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 17:30         ` Saro Engels
From: Saro Engels @ 2007-06-28 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
> Saro Engels wrote:
>> And is there any possibility to integrate KDE-apps a bit tighter into
>> cygwin? I am thinking of trying to build some cygwin packages.

That was just wrong what I wrote:
As far as I can see (cf.
http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_MinGW_with_Qt_4.3)
cygwin provides most of the build environment for building KDE apps, as
well as packaging, distribution and installation. There is not such a
thing neither in the new KDE-apps nor in the existing ports for gtk+
etc. What I thought of was using cygwin packages to provide packaging
for windows apps - like having a subdirectory in the setup list with
native apps packaged and installing like ordinary cygwin-packages.
That would perhaps mean to extend cygwins setup to a complete package
manager, which is still missing imo.
SE

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 18:45           ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-06-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:30:25PM +0200, Saro Engels wrote:
> Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
>> Saro Engels wrote:
>>> And is there any possibility to integrate KDE-apps a bit tighter into
>>> cygwin? I am thinking of trying to build some cygwin packages.
>
> That was just wrong what I wrote:
> As far as I can see (cf.
> http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_MinGW_with_Qt_4.3)
> cygwin provides most of the build environment for building KDE apps, as well
> as packaging, distribution and installation. There is not such a thing
> neither in the new KDE-apps nor in the existing ports for gtk+ etc. What I
> thought of was using cygwin packages to provide packaging for windows apps -
> like having a subdirectory in the setup list with native apps packaged and
> installing like ordinary cygwin-packages.
> That would perhaps mean to extend cygwins setup to a complete package
> manager, which is still missing imo.

But, then, setup.exe was only designed to be a dessert topping so we are very
lucky that it does anything non-culinary at all.

cgf

* RE: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-28 18:53             ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-28 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'it beats as it sweeps as it cleans as it chops as it slices
	as it dices....'

On 28 June 2007 19:45, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:30:25PM +0200, Saro Engels wrote:
>> Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
>>
>> That was just wrong what I wrote:
>> As far as I can see (cf.

http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_MinGW_with_Qt_4
.3)
>> cygwin provides most of the build environment for building KDE apps, as
>> well as packaging, distribution and installation. There is not such a thing
>> neither in the new KDE-apps nor in the existing ports for gtk+ etc. What I
>> thought of was using cygwin packages to provide packaging for windows apps
>> - like having a subdirectory in the setup list with native apps packaged
>> and installing like ordinary cygwin-packages.
>> That would perhaps mean to extend cygwins setup to a complete package
>> manager, which is still missing imo.
>
> But, then, setup.exe was only designed to be a dessert topping so we are
> very lucky that it does anything non-culinary at all.
>
> cgf

  Yes, I ... <slips>  whoooaaaaaah!

  Say, the floor in here is looking beautifully shiny and clean...

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-29  1:16     ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-06-29  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Well I have been out of the linux loop for a while so I was unaware
that KDE had already planned on making a native windows version.  It
would be nice because then I can finally get a good reason to get rid
of explorer on my laptop.  Unfortunately I won't be able to contribute
since I can't really code.

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

Thawte Web of Trust Notary
CAcert Assurer
PGP Key Fingerprint: 41B2 C5E8 4203 300D FEC9 4E1B 5336 7246 AEB7 040B

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-29  2:37       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-06-29  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 09:16:00PM -0400, Robert Pendell wrote:
>Well I have been out of the linux loop for a while so I was unaware
>that KDE had already planned on making a native windows version.  It
>would be nice because then I can finally get a good reason to get rid
>of explorer on my laptop.  Unfortunately I won't be able to contribute
>since I can't really code.

I wish this discussion would code.

cgf

* RE: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-29  4:45           ` Gary R. Van Sickle
> >   Nah, he means it.  Windows 200(BC) ran on most contemporary
> > abacuses, although many had to have more beads and thicker wires
> > installed to handle the heavy system load it imposed.  Known to the
> > Romans as "Windows CC", it was the first operating system
> to allow you
> > to send a message to several citizens at once (by
> dispatching a bunch
> > of slaves in parallel), and to this day we still refer to a
> secondary destination for an email in a "CC" line.
>
> Actually the key difference between windows 200 and other
> modern abacuses at the time, was that windows 200 required an
> extra bead for line breaks,

...called a "line bead"...

--
Gary R. Van Sickle

* Re: Sounds interesting
@ 2007-06-29 14:42             ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-06-29 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 07:30:25PM +0200, Saro Engels wrote:
> > Matthew Woehlke schrieb:
> >
> > That was just wrong what I wrote:
> > As far as I can see (cf.
> > http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_MinGW_with_Qt_4.3)
> > cygwin provides most of the build environment for building KDE apps,
> > as well as packaging, distribution and installation. There is not such
> > a thing neither in the new KDE-apps nor in the existing ports for gtk+
> > etc. What I thought of was using cygwin packages to provide packaging
> > for windows apps - like having a subdirectory in the setup list with
> > native apps packaged and installing like ordinary cygwin-packages.
> > That would perhaps mean to extend cygwins setup to a complete package
> > manager, which is still missing imo.
>
> But, then, setup.exe was only designed to be a dessert topping so we are
> very lucky that it does anything non-culinary at all.

Can someone *please* add a kitchen sink[*] to setup.exe?
	Igor
[*] <about:kitchensink> in Firefox