public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-13 11:43 zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2007-10-13 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Hi
I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
CygWin, are any in progress?

--
zzapper
http://www.rayninfo.co.uk/vimtips.html

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-13 16:35 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-13 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 11:39:57AM +0000, zzapper wrote:
>Hi
>I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
>http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
>CygWin, are any in progress?

I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.  It
might provide some credibility to Cygwin, though.  I'm rather sick of
seeing it referred to as a "toy" by various people who think they're
insightful.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-14 13:02   ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2007-10-14 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 11:39:57AM +0000, zzapper wrote:
>>Hi
>>I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
>>http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
>>CygWin, are any in progress?
>
> I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
> publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.  It
> might provide some credibility to Cygwin, though.  I'm rather sick of
> seeing it referred to as a "toy" by various people who think they're
> insightful.
>
> cgf

As you say it would raise Cygwin's profile especially to corporates.
Perhaps it could be done as a team effort and you must have vast array of
material that could be garnered from your postings.

--

@ 2007-10-14 13:10     ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2007-10-14 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Wasn't someone posting here from the UBS domain? I think their disclaimer
came up a few times. LOL.  I've seen cygwin mentioned on stock
message boards.

Certainly the speed detracts from serious usage- I think the slow
std::string problem
was a bug unique to one g++ release ( and I now have all my own char*
string routines with
custom non-conforming allocators thank you very much .. ) but anything that
requires interaction
with windoze will be slow.

@ 2007-10-14 16:08       ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2007-10-14 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On 10/14/07, Mike Marchywka
<marchywka@theemailservicethatwasonceaperlscriptandnowisrunonvb4>
wrote:

> Wasn't someone posting here from the UBS domain? I think their disclaimer
> came up a few times. LOL.  I've seen cygwin mentioned on stock
> message boards.
>

> Certainly the speed detracts from serious usage- I think the slow
> std::string problem
> was a bug unique to one g++ release ( and I now have all my own char*
> string routines with
> custom non-conforming allocators thank you very much .. ) but anything that
> requires interaction
> with windoze will be slow.
>

> >From: zzapper <david@wowletsnotgivetheemailaddress!>
> >To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
> >Subject: Re: Cygwin Book?
> >Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 13:01:11 +0000 (UTC)

> > > I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
> > > publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.  It
> > > might provide some credibility to Cygwin, though.  I'm rather sick of
> > > seeing it referred to as a "toy" by various people who think they're
> > > insightful.
> > >
> > > cgf
> >
> >As you say it would raise Cygwin's profile especially to corporates.
> >Perhaps it could be done as a team effort and you must have vast array of
> >material that could be garnered from your postings.

How about we do it like every other major project has done: make a
book that gives the overeducated joe just a little bit of information
in every area so that they can learn.

--
Morgan gangwere

Please Excuse TOFU. Gmail/Mobile has no Power.

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-14 16:41         ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2007-10-14 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>On 10/14/07, Mike Marchywka
><marchywka@theemailservicethatwasonceaperlscriptandnowisrunonvb4>

Hey, that address isn't right. How will people find me if they want to
tell me about cheap v-ia-gr-a ?
LOL.

>From: "Morgan Gangwere" <0.fractalus@gmail.com>
>To: "The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List"
><cygwin-talk@cygwin.com>
>Subject: Re: Cygwin Book?
>Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 10:07:52 -0600
>
>On 10/14/07, Mike Marchywka
><marchywka@theemailservicethatwasonceaperlscriptandnowisrunonvb4>
>wrote:

Make every IM count. Download Messenger and join the iÂ’m Initiative now.
ItÂ’s free. http://im.live.com/messenger/im/home/?source=TAGHM

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 11:29   ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2007-10-15 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
> publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.

The trick is in deciding what to cover.

It seems to me that just getting Cygwin installed could be stretched to
maybe fill a chapter.  The hardest part is just finding the packages you
need in the tree, and because you can do it iteratively, it doesn't come
to much of a practical problem.  If I were writing it, I'd probably make
this Appendix A, not Chapter 1.

You could fill a book with chapters that are basically "how to use Linux
on Windows", but really, aren't 99% of Cygwin users *ix transplants
anyway?  Everyone knows how to use the tools, which is why they've
sought out Cygwin in the first place.  I guess there are a few who get
Cygwin foist upon them as a prerequisite for something else -- some
embedded systems compilers are like this, for instance -- but I'd bet
this is a tiny minority of users.

I point all this out because I think I know what would be the most
useful book, and you, cgf, are indeed one of the few people who can do
it justice: a book on how Cygwin works and why it is the way it is.  Not
just cygwin1.dll internals, but how setup.exe packages work, the way
various POSIX features are distorted by the Windows lens (symlinks,
mounts, IPC, fork, PIDs, permissions...), etc.

The Cygwin story is one of compromises, accommodations, and probably
even some outright hackery.  This is the story that those of us who wish
to understand Cygwin need to read.

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 12:20     ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2007-10-15 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>You could fill a book with chapters that are basically "how to use Linux on
>Windows", but really, aren't 99% of Cygwin users *ix transplants anyway?
>Everyone knows how to use the tools, which is

The marginal audience is the "gui-is-the-program" windoze people. The idea
is
that you can
convince them that text and information are as important as graphics without
having to convince them to load a new OS and hope they can learn.

It wouldn't be a tutorial on any particular tool but rather intro to many
tools, I've found scripting and text processing imporant, that allow
some useful results for beginners. This was how I got started.
Maybe you could solicit cygwin stories to give you some ideas.

Personally, I think there is a great public good in getting people to use
computers to automate data processing, not create a set of menus
that require human intervention to balance a check book. You can
theoretically write scripts to talk with your bank,etc.

>From: Warren Young <warren@etr-usa.com>
>To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
>Subject: Re: Cygwin Book?
>Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 05:29:03 -0600
>
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>>I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
>>publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.
>
>The trick is in deciding what to cover.
>
>It seems to me that just getting Cygwin installed could be stretched to
>maybe fill a chapter.  The hardest part is just finding the packages you
>need in the tree, and because you can do it iteratively, it doesn't come to
>much of a practical problem.  If I were writing it, I'd probably make this
>Appendix A, not Chapter 1.
>
>You could fill a book with chapters that are basically "how to use Linux on
>Windows", but really, aren't 99% of Cygwin users *ix transplants anyway?
>Everyone knows how to use the tools, which is why they've sought out Cygwin
>in the first place.  I guess there are a few who get Cygwin foist upon them
>as a prerequisite for something else -- some embedded systems compilers are
>like this, for instance -- but I'd bet this is a tiny minority of users.
>
>I point all this out because I think I know what would be the most useful
>book, and you, cgf, are indeed one of the few people who can do it justice:
>a book on how Cygwin works and why it is the way it is.  Not just
>cygwin1.dll internals, but how setup.exe packages work, the way various
>POSIX features are distorted by the Windows lens (symlinks, mounts, IPC,
>fork, PIDs, permissions...), etc.
>
>The Cygwin story is one of compromises, accommodations, and probably even
>some outright hackery.  This is the story that those of us who wish to
>understand Cygwin need to read.

Climb to the top of the charts! Play the word scramble challenge with star
power.
http://club.live.com/star_shuffle.aspx?icid=starshuffle_hotmailtextlink2_oct

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 16:22     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-15 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 05:29:03AM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I have gotten periodic requests to write a cygwin group from various
>>publishers but it has always seemed like a daunting task to me.
>
>The trick is in deciding what to cover.

Yes, exactly.

>It seems to me that just getting Cygwin installed could be stretched to
>maybe fill a chapter.  The hardest part is just finding the packages
>you need in the tree, and because you can do it iteratively, it doesn't
>come to much of a practical problem.  If I were writing it, I'd
>probably make this Appendix A, not Chapter 1.
>
>You could fill a book with chapters that are basically "how to use
>Linux on Windows", but really, aren't 99% of Cygwin users *ix
>transplants anyway?  Everyone knows how to use the tools, which is why
>they've sought out Cygwin in the first place.  I guess there are a few
>who get Cygwin foist upon them as a prerequisite for something else --
>some embedded systems compilers are like this, for instance -- but I'd
>bet this is a tiny minority of users.

It seems like more and more people are using Cygwin because they want a
package that is part of the distribution.  We get too many ignorant
questions for me to think that many of these people are at all familiar
with *IX systems.

>I point all this out because I think I know what would be the most
>useful book, and you, cgf, are indeed one of the few people who can do
>it justice: a book on how Cygwin works and why it is the way it is.
>Not just cygwin1.dll internals, but how setup.exe packages work, the
>way various POSIX features are distorted by the Windows lens (symlinks,
>mounts, IPC, fork, PIDs, permissions...), etc.
>
>The Cygwin story is one of compromises, accommodations, and probably
>even some outright hackery.  This is the story that those of us who
>wish to understand Cygwin need to read.

Actually, this is a book that I wouldn't mind writing (assuming I could
get Corinna's help).  I don't know how many people would be interested
in this though.

Writing a book with screen shots of setup.exe and instructions about
hitting "Next" is not something that I relish.  It may be what people
really need though.

Whenever I think about doing that, I always think about how many
problems people have with the concept of setup.exe and then I start
thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
utility.  Then I get discouraged and just fire up Unreal Tournament 2004
to forget about things.

I guess my point is that I'd hate to document the warts in Cygwin when
the most profitable use of time would be to fix the warts.  But I guess
that doesn't really matter since these days, I'm not doing much
documenting or fixing.  I've been focused on my "real job" for a couple
of years now while Corinna does the heavy Cygwin lifting.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 17:36       ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2007-10-15 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Oct 15 12:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Whenever I think about doing that, I always think about how many
> problems people have with the concept of setup.exe and then I start
> thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
> utility.  Then I get discouraged and just fire up Unreal Tournament 2004
> to forget about things.

I'm really glad to read that.  I was concerned you'd get depressed and
consume too much hippo dung to forget your problems.  You know how hippo
dung gets in your brain.  You're quicker addicted than you're able to
say "Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew."(*)

Corinna

(*) Sorry for being off-topic, but I couldn't find a tongue twister
    about hippos...

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 17:47         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-15 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 07:36:03PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>On Oct 15 12:22, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> Whenever I think about doing that, I always think about how many
>> problems people have with the concept of setup.exe and then I start
>> thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
>> utility.  Then I get discouraged and just fire up Unreal Tournament 2004
>> to forget about things.
>
>I'm really glad to read that.  I was concerned you'd get depressed and
>consume too much hippo dung to forget your problems.  You know how hippo
>dung gets in your brain.  You're quicker addicted than you're able to
>say "Through three cheese trees three free fleas flew."(*)

That is an intriguing idea, though.  Adding hippo-like aliens to Unreal
Tournament.  Hmm.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 18:04       ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2007-10-15 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> It seems like more and more people are using Cygwin because they want a
> package that is part of the distribution.  We get too many ignorant
> questions for me to think that many of these people are at all familiar
> with *IX systems.

Yeah, so Chapter 2 (or Appendix B) can be something on the overall
philosophy of *ix and how to use the most common tools.

My main point is that there's no need for The Unix System Administration
Handbook, Cygwin Edition.  If someone wants to learn *ix in general,
there are plenty of very good books for that, including the purple book.
  Cygwin is close enough to a "real" *ix that the difference generally
doesn't matter to a newbie.  This wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.

> Whenever I think about doing that, I always think about how many
> problems people have with the concept of setup.exe and then I start
> thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
> utility.

That'd be my vote.  I don't start threads about it because I know the
correct reply is SHTDI, and I'm capable of Doing It, so I can't get out
of it on an incompetence plea.  :)

> Then I get discouraged and just fire up Unreal Tournament 2004
> to forget about things.

Back in the day, there was a DOOM mod for Linux system administration.
Killing processes was quite natural, for instance.

Maybe we can mod one of the Quake engines to install Cygwin.  As the
packages download and install, new rooms are added.  The doors open and
each README is represented by a monster that comes out, which can't be
killed until you pop into console mode and page through it.  When the
install process completes, the boss monster, Bill Gates, is imprisoned
at the center of the complex to do slave labor on an exercise wheel that
turns the wheels that keep the complex running.

> I guess my point is that I'd hate to document the warts in Cygwin when
> the most profitable use of time would be to fix the warts.

I think it's pretty clear by now which ones aren't going away, at least
any time soon.  The point of the book isn't to deflate egos, it's to be
guru guidance in getting up to speed on the raisins de eater of the
whole shish-kebab.

As I envision it, the book will be maintained publically in DocBook
form, available as a PDF in a cygwin-manual package, and almost
incidentally published in paper form by any of the several publishers
who would be cool with that.  That lets us improve the book continuously
over time, as long as we have a willing maintainer.  FAQ++.

And yes, I'm aware that the correct reply to all this is also SHTDI, and
I'm halfway to volunteering.  The only thing holding me back is that I'm
not really a Cygwin power user.  There's a lot about it that I really
don't understand, even after using it since B16 or so.  Generally it
Just Works for my limited purposes, so I don't have much call to dig
deep into it.

What I do know is technical writing, DocBook, and the Unix Way.

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 18:21         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 12:04:03PM -0600, Warren Young wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> It seems like more and more people are using Cygwin because they want a
>> package that is part of the distribution.  We get too many ignorant
>> questions for me to think that many of these people are at all familiar
>> with *IX systems.
>
> Yeah, so Chapter 2 (or Appendix B) can be something on the overall
> philosophy of *ix and how to use the most common tools.
>
> My main point is that there's no need for The Unix System Administration
> Handbook, Cygwin Edition.  If someone wants to learn *ix in general, there
> are plenty of very good books for that, including the purple book.  Cygwin
> is close enough to a "real" *ix that the difference generally doesn't
> matter to a newbie.  This wheel doesn't need to be reinvented.
>
>> Whenever I think about doing that, I always think about how many
>> problems people have with the concept of setup.exe and then I start
>> thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
>> utility.
>
> That'd be my vote.  I don't start threads about it because I know the
> correct reply is SHTDI, and I'm capable of Doing It, so I can't get out of
> it on an incompetence plea.  :)
>
>> Then I get discouraged and just fire up Unreal Tournament 2004
>> to forget about things.
>
> Back in the day, there was a DOOM mod for Linux system administration.
> Killing processes was quite natural, for instance.
>
> Maybe we can mod one of the Quake engines to install Cygwin.  As the
> packages download and install, new rooms are added.  The doors open and
> each README is represented by a monster that comes out, which can't be
> killed until you pop into console mode and page through it.  When the
> install process completes, the boss monster, Bill Gates, is imprisoned at
> the center of the complex to do slave labor on an exercise wheel that turns
> the wheels that keep the complex running.

LOLAWIMC

(LOL At Work In My Cubicle)

> And yes, I'm aware that the correct reply to all this is also SHTDI, and
> I'm halfway to volunteering.  The only thing holding me back is that I'm
> not really a Cygwin power user.  There's a lot about it that I really don't
> understand, even after using it since B16 or so.  Generally it Just Works
> for my limited purposes, so I don't have much call to dig deep into it.
>
> What I do know is technical writing, DocBook, and the Unix Way.

In this case, the principle might just be "SHTSI" (Someone Has To Start
It).  If I had a framework to work with I might be interested in adding
to it from time to time.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-15 18:39         ` Mike Marchywka
From: Mike Marchywka @ 2007-10-15 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>>thinking that we should redesign the GUI and provide a command-line
>>utility.

Doh! Debian apt works ok. But,seriously, maybe for the new-to-gnu people,
a GUI app is a good intro. Obviously, you can't make them hunt down corrupt
.gz files everytime it crashes :)

As far as other points, you could get cygwin success stories. I can
contribute
scripts for mining specialty sources for e-mail addresses or the script that
caused commercial sites to reject a shared IP address for a while :)

> [...]
>guidance in getting up to speed on the raisins de eater of the whole
>shish-kebab.
>
>As I envision it, the book will be maintained publically in DocBook form,
>available as a PDF in a cygwin-manual package, and almost incidentally
>published in paper form by any of the several publishers who would be cool
>with that.  That lets us improve the book continuously over time, as long
>as we have a willing maintainer.  FAQ++.
>
>And yes, I'm aware that the correct reply to all this is also SHTDI, and
>I'm halfway to volunteering.  The only thing holding me back is that I'm
>not really a Cygwin power user.  There's a lot about it that I really don't
>understand, even after using it since B16 or so.  Generally it Just Works
>for my limited purposes, so I don't have much call to dig deep into it.
>
>What I do know is technical writing, DocBook, and the Unix Way.

Help yourself to FREE treats served up daily at the Messenger Café. Stop by
today!
http://www.cafemessenger.com/info/info_sweetstuff2.html?ocid=TXT_TAGHM_OctHMtagline

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-16 19:52 ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-10-16 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, zzapper wrote:

> Hi
> I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
> http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
> CygWin, are any in progress?

It's "Cygwin"... :-)
And you could try section 23.14 of http://safari.oreilly.com/0596527543
(short as it is).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Belief can be manipulated.  Only knowledge is dangerous.  -- Frank Herbert

* RE: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-17 15:56   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-10-17 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'oh noes!  they be stealin' mah bukk^H^H^H^Hhippoz!'

On 16 October 2007 20:52, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, zzapper wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
>> http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
>> CygWin, are any in progress?
>
> It's "Cygwin"... :-)
> And you could try section 23.14 of http://safari.oreilly.com/0596527543
> (short as it is).
> 	Igor

  Nope, that's IT: as far as I'm concerned, there's never going to be any
point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already allocated the hippo
pictures to Java.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html

  What /were/ they thinking of?

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-17 16:01     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2007-10-17 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 04:56:08PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>On 16 October 2007 20:52, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, zzapper wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
>>> http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
>>> CygWin, are any in progress?
>>
>> It's "Cygwin"... :-)
>> And you could try section 23.14 of http://safari.oreilly.com/0596527543
>> (short as it is).
>> 	Igor
>
>  Nope, that's IT: as far as I'm concerned, there's never going to be any
>point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already allocated the hippo
>pictures to Java.
>
>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html
>
>  What /were/ they thinking of?

I'll bet Microsoft put them up to it.  We all know that they have it in
for CygWin.

cgf

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-18 13:39       ` zzapper
From: zzapper @ 2007-10-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

>>point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already allocated the
>>hippo pictures to Java.
>>
>>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html
>>
> I'll bet Microsoft put them up to it.  We all know that they have it in
> for CygWin.

Drat!!

An important section of the hippothetical (sic) Cygwin book could be on the
Windows/Cygwin interactivity, from unix2dos, getclip, putclip, cygstart,
how/why you should use mounts, antiword, activating your shell from Windows-
Explorer, how you personalise your setup with aliases etc-etc.

How you can write a shell script to automate backups etc-etc

I really think there is a need for it!

--

@ 2007-10-18 16:37     ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-10-18 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 16 October 2007 20:52, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, zzapper wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> I was looking for suitable Technical Books to put on my SquidU
> >> http://www.squidoo.com/zzapper/ and was disappointed not to find one on
> >> CygWin, are any in progress?
> >
> > It's "Cygwin"... :-)
> > And you could try section 23.14 of http://safari.oreilly.com/0596527543
> > (short as it is).
> > 	Igor
>
>   Nope, that's IT: as far as I'm concerned, there's never going to be any
> point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already allocated the hippo
> pictures to Java.
>
> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html
>
>   What /were/ they thinking of?

And both river and sea otters are taken... :-(
	Igor
--

@ 2007-10-18 16:44         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-10-18 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, zzapper wrote:

> >>point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already allocated the
> >>hippo pictures to Java.
> >>
> >>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html
> >>
> > I'll bet Microsoft put them up to it.  We all know that they have it in
> > for CygWin.
>
> Drat!!
>
> An important section of the hippothetical (sic) Cygwin book could be on the
> Windows/Cygwin interactivity, from unix2dos, getclip, putclip, cygstart,
> how/why you should use mounts, antiword, activating your shell from Windows-
> Explorer, how you personalise your setup with aliases etc-etc.
>
> How you can write a shell script to automate backups etc-etc
>
> I really think there is a need for it!

The chapter of the book I quoted actually has all of the stuff you
mentioned...  It *is* rather short, though.
	Igor
--

@ 2007-10-18 16:50       ` Phil Betts
From: Phil Betts @ 2007-10-18 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Igor Peshansky wrote on Thursday, October 18, 2007 5:37 PM::

> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   Nope, that's IT: as far as I'm concerned, there's never going to
>> be any point writing a Cygwin book, because O'Reilly have already
>> allocated the hippo pictures to Java.
>>
>> http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscook/colophon.html
>>
>>   What /were/ they thinking of?
>
> And both river and sea otters are taken... :-(
> 	Igor

I think pygmy hippos are still available.  They're cuter than the
big ones and don't make as big a splat when they sit on you.
I'm just not sure they're mean enough to qualify as a cygwin mascot.

Phil

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-18 18:52       ` Cary Jamison
From: Cary Jamison @ 2007-10-18 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Igor Peshansky wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Dave Korn wrote:
>
> And both river and sea otters are taken... :-(

I never understood what happened to the poor otters.  They just suddenly
seemed to have been crushed by hippos!  One day everyone is talking about
making otters the mascot, there were icons and gifs flying around, and then
hippos just showed up and took over the party.

Cary

* Re: Cygwin Book?
@ 2007-10-18 19:19         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-10-18 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Cary Jamison wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, Dave Korn wrote:
> >
> > And both river and sea otters are taken... :-(
>
> I never understood what happened to the poor otters.  They just suddenly
> seemed to have been crushed by hippos!  One day everyone is talking about
> making otters the mascot, there were icons and gifs flying around, and then
> hippos just showed up and took over the party.

Hippos are meaner.
	Igor