public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Way cool!
@ 2007-06-30 20:48 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-30 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'hippo news'

http://hubpages.com/hub/There_is_a_Hippo_in_our_house

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1272876,00.html

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Way cool!
@ 2007-06-30 21:23 ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-06-30 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Oh man.  That's awesome.  I want a hippo as a pet but I guess it is
best to get them early on before they think of humans as enemies
rather than friends. ;)

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

Thawte Web of Trust Notary
CAcert Assurer
PGP Key Fingerprint: 41B2 C5E8 4203 300D FEC9 4E1B 5336 7246 AEB7 040B

* RE: Way cool!
@ 2007-06-30 21:33   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'CHOMP!'

On 30 June 2007 22:24, Robert Pendell wrote:

> Oh man.  That's awesome.  I want a hippo as a pet but I guess it is
> best to get them early on before they think of humans as enemies
> rather than friends. ;)

  I don't think they think of humans as enemies or friends, so much as they
think of them as kind of crunchy on the outside with a soft chewy center :)

> On 6/30/07, Dave Korn <dave.korn@PINKSPAMDEATHFROMHELL> wrote:

  PCYM Robert, thanks.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Way cool!
@ 2007-06-30 21:52     ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-06-30 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Oops.  Sorry.  There is no way to configure Gmail (check the headers
sometime) so I'm out of luck there but I will try and remember to
remove the email addresses myself.  I've been doing it and I think I
only slipped up one other time.  I've asked gmail to add the feature
before but I'll drop them another line sometime.

@ 2007-06-30 22:49       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-06-30 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Dept. of Contrafactual Scientific Research'

On 30 June 2007 22:53, Robert Pendell wrote:

> Oops.  Sorry.  There is no way to configure Gmail (check the headers
> sometime) so I'm out of luck there but I will try and remember to
> remove the email addresses myself.  I've been doing it and I think I
> only slipped up one other time.  I've asked gmail to add the feature
> before but I'll drop them another line sometime.

  Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot gmail is a PITA.  Never mind, here's something else
to think about:

A. Newton's first law of motion:

-  Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of
motion unless an external force is applied to it.

B. Murphy's law:

-  Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

  Multiply A by B and what do you get?

C. Murphy's corrollary to Newton's first law of motion:

-  Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of
motion unless it sees a chance to really screw things up for you by suddenly
springing into life of its own accord.

  This, to me, is the only satisfactory explanation how you can put a mug of
coffee down a good five centimeters from the edge of the table on a flat
surface and turn and walk away and only several seconds later does it tip over
and spill coffee everywhere.  It probably explains a lot of other so-called
'accidents' too.  Inanimate objects aren't as inanimate as they pretend to be
when we're looking.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Way cool!
@ 2007-06-30 23:30         ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-06-30 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On 6/30/07, Dave Korn wrote:
>   Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot gmail is a PITA.  Never mind, here's something else
> to think about:
>
> A. Newton's first law of motion:
>
> -  Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of
> motion unless an external force is applied to it.
>
> B. Murphy's law:
>
> -  Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
>

>   Multiply A by B and what do you get?
>
> C. Murphy's corrollary to Newton's first law of motion:
>
> -  Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of
> motion unless it sees a chance to really screw things up for you by suddenly
> springing into life of its own accord.
>

>   This, to me, is the only satisfactory explanation how you can put a mug of
> coffee down a good five centimeters from the edge of the table on a flat
> surface and turn and walk away and only several seconds later does it tip over
> and spill coffee everywhere.  It probably explains a lot of other so-called
> 'accidents' too.  Inanimate objects aren't as inanimate as they pretend to be
> when we're looking.
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
> --
> Can't think of a witty .sigline today....

Heh.  Thanks for the laugh.

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

Thawte Web of Trust Notary
CAcert Assurer

* Re: Way cool!
@ 2007-07-02  0:02   ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-07-02  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Ugh, top-posting...  Reformatted.

Ahem.  <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR>.

> > http://hubpages.com/hub/There_is_a_Hippo_in_our_house
> >
> > http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1272876,00.html
>
> Oh man.  That's awesome.  I want a hippo as a pet but I guess it is
> best to get them early on before they think of humans as enemies
> rather than friends. ;)

At the risk of <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#YSHFRTT>ing:
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtqIM_bPTws>.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

Freedom is just another word for "nothing left to lose"...  -- Janis Joplin

* RE: Way cool!
@ 2007-07-02  0:04         ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2007-07-02  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, Dave Korn wrote:

>   This, to me, is the only satisfactory explanation how you can put a
> mug of coffee down a good five centimeters from the edge of the table on
> a flat surface and turn and walk away and only several seconds later
> does it tip over and spill coffee everywhere.  It probably explains a
> lot of other so-called 'accidents' too.  Inanimate objects aren't as
> inanimate as they pretend to be when we're looking.

Free association: nothing destroys a computer like a mug of coffee...
	Igor
--

@ 2007-07-02  0:15     ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-07-02  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

--
Robert Pendell
shinji@elite-systems.org

Thawte Web of Trust Notary
CAcert Assurer
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8737 247A AAF7 BAF5 152F AFDC B673 2593 CC6D B1B9