public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-18 11:29 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-18 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-drinking-game@cygwin.com'

On 18 August 2006 12:01, sujit.menon@tcs wrote:

>   Hi CygWinners,
>   I would like to know the syntax of crontab, cron and at commands for
>   its use in task scheduling.
>
>   Also, can we do a Cron or AT job using Cygwin installation?
>
>   If yes, please tell me the procedure...  How do we allow permission's
>   for the cron job. What file needs to modified to add the user id.

  *sip*

>   Warm Regards,
>   Sujit Chandran Menon
>   Tata Consultancy Services Limited
>   Park West - II, Raheja Estate
>   Kulupwadi Road, Borivali (East)
>   Mumbai - 400 066,Maharashtra
>   India
>   Mailto: sujit.menon@tcs.
>   Website: http://www.tcs.com
>
> =====-----=====-----=====
> and any attachments. Thank you

  Hey, we left one out!

*  Any time someone posts one of those disclaimers, take a sip.  If it's part
of a huge sig and trailer that's longer than the entire body of their post,
take a glug.  If it's more than twice as many lines, take a double glug.  If
it's more than five times as many lines, finish your drink and get another.

  *glug* *glug*

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-18 14:30 ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-18 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 18 August 2006 12:01, sujit.menon@tcs wrote:
>>   Warm Regards,
>>   Sujit Chandran Menon
>>   Tata Consultancy Services Limited
>>   Park West - II, Raheja Estate
>>   Kulupwadi Road, Borivali (East)
>>   Mumbai - 400 066,Maharashtra
>>   India
>>   Mailto: sujit.menon@tcs.
>>   Website: http://www.tcs.com
>>
>> =====-----=====-----=====
>> Notice: The information contained in this e-mail
>> message and/or attachments to it may contain
>> confidential or privileged information. If you are
>> not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use,
>> review, distribution, printing or copying of the
>> information contained in this e-mail message
>> and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If
>> you have received this communication in error,
>> please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and
>> immediately and permanently delete the message
>> and any attachments. Thank you
>
>   Hey, we left one out!
>
> *  Any time someone posts one of those disclaimers, take a sip.  If it's part
> of a huge sig and trailer that's longer than the entire body of their post,
> take a glug.  If it's more than twice as many lines, take a double glug.  If
> it's more than five times as many lines, finish your drink and get another.
>
>   *glug* *glug*

Oh, my, yes, a glaring omission :-)

--
Matthew
KATE: Awesome Text Editor

* RE: FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-18 14:44   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-18 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'gurgle gloop hic!'

On 18 August 2006 15:28, mwoehlke wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 18 August 2006 12:01, sujit.menon@tcs wrote:
>>>   Warm Regards,

>>> and any attachments. Thank you
>>
>>   Hey, we left one out!
>>
>> *  Any time someone posts one of those disclaimers, take a sip.  If it's
>> part of a huge sig and trailer that's longer than the entire body of their
>> post, take a glug.  If it's more than twice as many lines, take a double
>> glug.  If it's more than five times as many lines, finish your drink and
>> get another.
>>
>>   *glug* *glug*
>
> Oh, my, yes, a glaring omission :-)

 *GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*  uuuurp  Ahhhhhhhh!

  Well, you /did/ just post one of those disclaimers.

  And at twenty-two lines long, it /was/ more than five times the size of your
one-line body content!

  Hmm, I guess I'd better go back and snip it out before I end up doing the
same thing.  But at least I've provided enough lines of text to keep the ratio
down, even if I were to quote it YA time....

@ 2006-08-18 15:15     ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-18 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 18 August 2006 15:28, mwoehlke wrote:
>> Dave Korn wrote:
>>>   Hey, we left one out!
>>>
>>> *  Any time someone posts one of those disclaimers, take a sip.  If it's
>>> part of a huge sig and trailer that's longer than the entire body of their
>>> post, take a glug.  If it's more than twice as many lines, take a double
>>> glug.  If it's more than five times as many lines, finish your drink and
>>> get another.
>>>
>>>   *glug* *glug*
>> Oh, my, yes, a glaring omission :-)
>
>  *GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*GLUG*  uuuurp  Ahhhhhhhh!
>
>   Well, you /did/ just post one of those disclaimers.
>
>   And at twenty-two lines long, it /was/ more than five times the size of your
> one-line body content!

Now, now, you should *know* I was just quoting the relevant context. ;-)

--
Matthew
KATE: Awesome Text Editor

* Re: FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-23 18:26   ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-23 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a muggy Wednesday, the 23rd day of August, 2006, Christopher Faylor's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:30:38PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>
> >Please, you've got to help me escape from "Mr.  Chuck".  I hope he
> >hasn't seen me write this.  I'm afraid of him.  His evil staring eyes
> >dig into my mind like a hot wire in the brain.  It hurts, it hurts so
> >bad I'd do anything
> >to make it stop..... make it stop ....    make him
> >STTTOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPAAAAaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgghghhhhh
>
> I think we have to get Dave sedated quickly.
>
> Could someone send a short message to the cygwin-apps list which
> mentions that make 3.81 broke MS-DOS paths building an application that
> no one has heard of, wonders if the issue would be fixed in B20, asks
> how to download B20, and then uses a really long disclaimer signature?
>
> I don't know if that will be sufficient but it should at least help.

A proponent of shock treatment, I see.

OAU

* RE: FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-23 16:51   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-23 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'The Lair of Mr. Chuck'

On 23 August 2006 17:40, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 05:30:38PM +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
>> On 23 August 2006 16:39, mwoehlke wrote:
>>
>>> Ugh, http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU - reformatted (but the .sig looks
>>> better, thanks!) Also, PCYMTNQREAIYR (although the cruddy line wrapping
>>> just barely saved mine from being quoted raw).

>>> Who is "Mr. Chuck"?
>>
>> "Mr.  Chuck" is the evil invisible hippo who sits on my left shoulder
>> and makes me type all those bad things.  I would be all sweetness and
>> light all the time if it wasn't for "Mr.  Chuck".  He wants to make me do
>> bad things.
>>
>> Sometimes, late at night, he whispers in my ear.  He tells me I have to
>> KILL KILL KILL KILL THEM KILL THEM KILL THEM ALL.  I don't want to have
>> to kill anyone but I'm scared he's going to make me do it.
>>
>> Please, you've got to help me escape from "Mr.  Chuck".  I hope he
>> hasn't seen me write this.  I'm afraid of him.  His evil staring eyes
>> dig into my mind like a hot wire in the brain.  It hurts, it hurts so bad
>> I'd do anything to make it stop..... make it stop ....    make him
>> STTTOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPAAAAaaaaaaaaaarrrrrgghghhhhh
>
> I think we have to get Dave sedated quickly.

 *sip*

> Could someone send a short message to the cygwin-apps list which
> mentions that make 3.81 broke MS-DOS paths building an application that
> no one has heard of, wonders if the issue would be fixed in B20, asks
> how to download B20, and then uses a really long disclaimer signature?

  *glug*glug*glug*glug*glug*

> I don't know if that will be sufficient but it should at least help.
>
> cgf

  *hic*  <grins>

@ 2006-08-23 16:40 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2006-08-23 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

@ 2006-08-23 16:30 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-23 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

@ 2006-08-23 13:08 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-23 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 23 August 2006 07:15, sujit.menon@tcs wrote:

> Hi Mr. mwoehlke,
>
> I have read the replies to my previous post and that is the very reason I
> am rewriting this mail,
> the previous mailer by Mr. chuck

  "Mr. chuck"!?!  I think I'm going to have to take offence!

> had just mentioned using "man crontab",
> which is not what I want.
> I am not using crontab and am using cron

  That's going to be fun to watch.  It's a neat trick if you can manage it....

> Warm Regards,
> Sujit Chandran Menon
> Tata Consultancy Services Limited
> INDIA

  Sigh.  He snipped his sig....

>              mwoehlke
>              <mwoehlke@tibco.c
>              om>                                                        To
>
>              08/22/2006 09:31                                           cc
>              PM                        sujit.menon@tcs.com
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
                          [ ... snip ... ]
> ForwardSourceID:NT0000304E
> =====-----=====-----=====

  but he quoted his entire earlier post.  *sip*.  Including the disclaimer.
*sip*

  However, at least he got his ratio of body-text lines to trailer lines down
below the threshold with that long rant!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* FW: Usage Of Cron and AT commands
@ 2006-08-22 13:18 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-22 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thread TITTTL'd!

On 22 August 2006 13:34, sujit.menon@tcs wrote:

>   Hi CygWinners,

  Body line count: 8

  Trailer/disclaimer line count: 24

  Ratio: 3:1

  Hence:  *glug* *glug*

  Also, this is a duplicate of his previous post, which was already answered.:
*sip*.

    cheers,
      DaveK