public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
From: mwoehlke <mwoehlke@tibco.com>
To: cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: copying and pasting in the terminal window?
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:17:00 -0000	[thread overview]

TITTTL'd, as this is becoming a "my terminal emulator is bigger than
your terminal emulator" contest.

Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> mwoehlke wrote:
>> Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
>>> It's awesome, if you're still using the DOS box change over
>>> immediately. Believe me now and thank me later.
>> Awesome?
>
> Awesome.

Maybe for you...

>> [it] is a PITA to configure,
>
> Mm, no, in the Unixoid scheme of things it's probably one of the easier
> programs to configure.  The main trick is (or at least used to be) getting
> your delete, home, end, etc keys working right, and I can send you my
> magical .initrc to take care of that post-haste.

What can I say, I like menus. 'Settings->Configure Konsole'. See how
easy that was? Console is just as easy. rxvt needs command line
switches, or something. I shouldn't have to read a manpage for this
stuff, as a *good* terminal emulator (like {C|K}onsole) will demonstrate.

>> has an ugly font,
>
> ???  You can pick whatever font you want, even the cmd one if you want.

Maybe if I go through that PITA configure process... but who has time
for manpages for something that should be 'View->Font'? I didn't check
if Console has documentation, but I've never needed it, just like with
Konsole. That, and on my other computer (that has Konsole), Cygwin X has
no fonts that *aren't* ugly.

>> And I
>> see exactly zero ways in which it is an improvement over Console.
>
> Copy/paste, scrollback buffer, and "Unix-like, X or no X" are three that
> immediately come to mind.

Hello? Even the CUI subsystem has scroll-back... And Console has the
added advantage of NON-Cygwin sessions, which is very useful to me. :-)

Have you tried the copy/paste in Console? It works just like it does in
Konsole or (AFAICT) rxvt.

>> Console is awesome, if you're still using rxvt change over
>> immediately.
>
> Nope, if you look back you'll turn into a pillar of salt!

Oh, my, I'm sure you're right. Better not touch rxvt again. :-)

>> Believe me now and thank me later. :-)
>
> I shall do neither! ;-)
>
>> If you *must* have an X-based terminal emulator for some
>> reason (or even just something that isn't using the CUI
>> subsystem under the covers), I would strongly recommend
>> Konsole as VASTLY superior to xterm/rxvt. You can get an old
>> version... um, somewhere, or wait and see if KDE4 makes good
>> on native Windows support (which I guess would no longer be
>> X-based, but would also not need an X server).
>
> Well you can rest assured I shall give it a try should they come out with a
> native port.

And it will have all the features of Console AND rxvt in one, and you'll
love it. :-)

> Now in the meantime, get rxvt installed before it's too
> late!!!  To get you started, here's the command line of the shortcut I've
> used for countless years of cmd-free Cygwinning:
>
> C:\unix\bin\rxvt.exe -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -sr -sl 1000 -fn "Lucida
> Console-bold-14" -e bash --login -i

Nice DOS path there... "bash: C:unixbinrxvt.exe: command not found" ;-)

See what I mean about configuration? With Console, it took me all of ten
seconds to figure out how to change the font, and I didn't have to read
anything but menus.

Oh, and...
"rxvt: can't open display 127.0.0.1:0"

And no tabs, and no menu, and no status bar, and I can't read anything
against the white background and now I'm going to have to read the
manpage, and...

Ok. So, after reading the manpage for half an hour, I wrote this script
that gets me *closer* to what Console does (no manpage required)...

----
#!/bin/bash
unset DISPLAY
font="Terminal--9"

colors() {
cat << EOF
--color0 #000000
--color1 #C00000
--color2 #00C000
--color3 #C08000
--color4 #0000C0
--color5 #C000C0
--color6 #00C0C0
--color7 #C0C0C0
--color8 #606060
--color9 #FF6060
--color10 #60FF60
--color11 #FFFF60
--color12 #6060FF
--color13 #FF60FF
--color14 #60FFFF
--color15 #FFFFFF
EOF
}

rxvt -tn rxvt-cygwin-native -sr -sl 1000 -fn "$font" -fb "$font" -fg 7
-bg 0 -cr '#C0C0C0' -pr 7 `colors` -e bash --login -i
----

...and I still don't know how to specify width and height. rxvt is
simply much more lacking in features; end of story.

--
Matthew
'$ time make world' -> real 5d:14h:37m:5.291s  user 0m:0.000s  sys