public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* FW: Re: Problem when using variable assignment, backticks in shell script
@ 2006-08-31 16:02 Charli Li
From: Charli Li @ 2006-08-31 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

cgf wrote:
>On Thu, Aug 31, 2006 at 05:04:08PM +0200, CARTER Alan wrote:
>>>Hmm...  9 lines of content, 10 of disclaimer...  *sip!* Eew, and the
>>>disclaimer isn't even line-wrapped...
>>
>>>(How come PCYMTNILOAUD is not on the OLOCA yet?  ;-))
>>
>>Ah.  You think I typed that, myself?  I didn't.  It was automatically
>>appended by the local email system.  Many corporate email systems do
>>this kind of thing, because (IMHO) the people that run them are more
>>concerned with posturing within their own value system (which does not
>>map to reality) than they are with doing anything useful.
>
>Whether you typed it yourself or not, those type of disclaimers are
>actually not allowed in mail to mailing lists at this site:
>
>http://sourceware.org/lists.html
>
>The same thing holds true for gcc.gnu.org.
>
>cygwin.com == sourceware.org == gcc.gnu.org
>
>Please find some other way of sending email which does not try to
>enforce some kind of faux-legal obligations on the reader.
>
>cgf

Thread TITTTL'd!

Charli
---
Do you have Prince Albert in a can?

* Re: FW: Re: Problem when using variable assignment, backticks in  shell script
@ 2006-09-01  1:11 ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-09-01  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Charli Li wrote:
> cgf wrote:
>>> Ah.  You think I typed that, myself?  I didn't.  It was automatically
>>> appended by the local email system.  Many corporate email systems do
>>> this kind of thing, because (IMHO) the people that run them are more
>>> concerned with posturing within their own value system (which does not
>>> map to reality) than they are with doing anything useful.
>> Whether you typed it yourself or not, those type of disclaimers are
>> actually not allowed in mail to mailing lists at this site:
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/lists.html
>>
>> The same thing holds true for gcc.gnu.org.
>>
>> cygwin.com == sourceware.org == gcc.gnu.org
>>
>> Please find some other way of sending email which does not try to
>> enforce some kind of faux-legal obligations on the reader.
>
> Thread TITTTL'd!

a: I already tried to do that*.
b: You just CC'd the main list. :-)
c: You almost made me do (b) as well!

Next time, you might want to reply with 'please TITTTL' and 'reply-to:'
set appropriately, to avoid (b) and (c). :-)

(* Actually, I had /also/ sent another reply with reply-to: cygwin-talk
that seems to have gone to /dev/null... but oh well; after CGF's post it
wasn't really adding anything anyway.)

--
Matthew
We apologize for the inconvenience.