public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
       [not found]   ` <44F4EC75.1090800@yahoo.com>
@ 2006-08-30  2:45     ` One Angry User
       [not found]     ` <92010c400608300510j202d6a7docff580f5c3cd2f6f@mail.gmail.com>
From: One Angry User @ 2006-08-30  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> > It's hosted on SourceForge, try the latest v2 beta (not demo!)
> >
> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
>
> I just downloaded Console Beta 125 - Sorry, a little dense here, how do
> you invoke it from Windows to launch a Cygwin bash shell?  Do you have a
> couple of example command lines to use?
>
> Could you provide one example for a user that would start with "Click
> Start/Run and type the following command"

Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps who
read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
configurability!

Besides, why would you want to launch a Cygwin bash shell if you can play
with all those colors for the command prompt?

OAU

* RE: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 14:17       ` Charli Li
From: Charli Li @ 2006-08-30 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Da Signin Walk Dragharin Liste

One Angry User screams at Keith Christian:
>On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith
>Christian's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>> > It's hosted on SourceForge, try the latest v2 beta (not demo!)
>> >
>> > http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
>>
>> I just downloaded Console Beta 125 - Sorry, a little dense here, how do
>> you invoke it from Windows to launch a Cygwin bash shell?  Do you have a
>> couple of example command lines to use?
>>
>> Could you provide one example for a user that would start with "Click
>> Start/Run and type the following command"
>
>Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps who
>read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
>configurability!
>
>Besides, why would you want to launch a Cygwin bash shell if you can play
>with all those colors for the command prompt?
>
>OAU

YEAH!  I think playing with the program, not actually using it, is better
than using it!

*sip*

Charli
---
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOYEAH!

@ 2006-08-30 15:15       ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-30 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, S. William Schulz wrote:

> Open Console, then Edit | Settings.  On the Console tab/page, I changed
> the shell to my Cygwin bat and the startup dir to my cygwin dir

LOL!

*sip*

	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 15:21       ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-30 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

One Angry User wrote:
> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>>> It's hosted on SourceForge, try the latest v2 beta (not demo!)
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/console
>> I just downloaded Console Beta 125 - Sorry, a little dense here, how do
>> you invoke it from Windows to launch a Cygwin bash shell?  Do you have a
>> couple of example command lines to use?
>>
>> Could you provide one example for a user that would start with "Click
>> Start/Run and type the following command"
>
> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps who
> read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
> configurability!

Sigh.

Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/ having
to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE, etc.
need manpages, and should only be configurable via command-line
switches? This means of course that you can't change settings on the
fly. That would be too convenient, and WJM after all.

--
Matthew
Now where did I put my hippo?

* RE: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 15:55         ` Dave Korn
                             ` (3 more replies)
From: Dave Korn @ 2006-08-30 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '35 more silly cygwin hippo references until beer o'clock'

On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:

> One Angry User wrote:
>> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's
>> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Could you provide one example for a user that would start with "Click
>>> Start/Run and type the following command"
>>
>> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps who
>> read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
>> configurability!
>
> Sigh.
>
> Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
> for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/ having
> to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE, etc.
> need manpages, and should only be configurable via command-line
> switches?

  It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't just a
GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you want to do is
script it - at which point, you *have* to have command-line options.

  So, command line options are wonderful for GUI programs *as well as* console
programs.  After all, consider the ever-popular post that goes ...

  "Hi, can anyone tell me what command-line options I can use to get setup.exe
to do a completely unattended installation and choose a selection of
packages?"

  Oops, I just said it.

  *sip*

  <heh>

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 16:09         ` Owen Rees
From: Owen Rees @ 2006-08-30 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

--On 30 August 2006 10:18 -0500 mwoehlke wrote:

> I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE, etc. need manpages, and
> should only be configurable via command-line switches?

Not 'only' but I would find life harder without the "-a firefox" and
"-remote ..." command line options to mozilla that let me do things from
scripts. The man page for mozilla is not great, but at least it exists and
points to a web page with some information.

--
Owen Rees
Hewlett Packard Laboratories, Bristol, UK

* RE: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 16:19           ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
                             ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2006-08-30 16:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:
>
>> One Angry User wrote:
>>> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith
>>> Christian's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for
>>> wimps who read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now,
>>> there's real configurability!
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
>> for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/
>> having to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox,
>> Thunderbird, IE, etc. need manpages, and should only be configurable
>> via command-line switches?
>
>   It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't
> just a GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you
> want to do is script it - at which point, you *have* to have
> command-line options.
>
>   So, command line options are wonderful for GUI programs *as well
> as* console programs.  After all, consider the ever-popular post that
> goes ...

Actually, one problem that console (from Console-2.00b120-Beta.zip) has
is that one cannot directly give command line options to the shells that
console loads.  So if one wants the shell to be
	c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i
or
	c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /f:on /e:on
one MUST run the shell from a batch file.

- Barry

* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 16:25             ` David Rothenberger
From: David Rothenberger @ 2006-08-30 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On 8/30/2006 9:09 AM, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
> Actually, one problem that console (from Console-2.00b120-Beta.zip) has
> is that one cannot directly give command line options to the shells that
> console loads.  So if one wants the shell to be
> 	c:\cygwin\bin\bash.exe -i
> or
> 	c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /f:on /e:on
> one MUST run the shell from a batch file.

It worked just fine for me with b125. I set my "bash" tab command to
"c:\cygwin\bin\bash -li". You can even pass additional arguments to the
tab's command with the -r switch:

    console -t bash -r "-c 'ssh somehost'"

--
David Rothenberger                spammer? -> spam@daveroth.dyndns.org
GPG/PGP: 0x92D68FD8, DB7C 5146 1AB0 483A 9D27 DFBA FBB9 E328 92D6 8FD8

Support Bingo, keep Grandma off the streets.

* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 16:40           ` mwoehlke
From: mwoehlke @ 2006-08-30 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

Dave Korn wrote:
> On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:
>> One Angry User wrote:
>>> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's
>>> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps who
>>> read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
>>> configurability!
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
>> for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/ having
>> to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE, etc.
>> need manpages, and should only be configurable via command-line
>> switches?
>
>   It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't just a
> GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you want to do is
> script it - at which point, you *have* to have command-line options.
> [snip]

No argument :-). I was taking issue with the apparent (and sarcastic)
disrespect of non-command-line configuration.

Maybe I should have just said:
http://isbn.nu/0671723650 ;-)

--
Matthew
Now where did I put my hippo?

* RE: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
@ 2006-08-30 17:12           ` Igor Peshansky
From: Igor Peshansky @ 2006-08-30 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Cygwin-Talk Maiming List

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:
>
> > One Angry User wrote:
> >> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's
> >> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

> >> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for
> >> wimps who read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now,
> >> there's real configurability!
> >
> > Sigh.
> >
> > Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
> > for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/ having
> > to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE,
> > etc. need manpages, and should only be configurable via command-line
> > switches?
>
>   It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't
> just a GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you want
> to do is script it - at which point, you *have* to have command-line
> options.
>
>   So, command line options are wonderful for GUI programs *as well as*
> console programs.  After all, consider the ever-popular post that goes
>
>   "Hi, can anyone tell me what command-line options I can use to get
> setup.exe to do a completely unattended installation and choose a
> selection of packages?"
>
>   Oops, I just said it.
>
>   *sip*

Except that setup.exe cannot be truly unattended with that little pop-up
in the end that says, unnecessarily, "Installation complete"...

*sip*

	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"

* Re: Console on Sourceforge with Cygwin
                             ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-09-06  2:07           ` Joe Smith
From: Joe Smith @ 2006-09-06  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

"Dave Korn" <dave.korn@artimi.com> wrote in message
> On 30 August 2006 16:19, mwoehlke wrote:
>
>> One Angry User wrote:
>>> On a drizzly Tuesday, the 29th day of August, 2006, Keith Christian's
>>> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>>> Oh, no, it doesn't work like that.  Command-line options are for wimps
>>> who
>>> read manpages!  Console uses menus!  MENUS, man!  Now, there's real
>>> configurability!
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Command line options are wonderful... for console programs. GUI's are
>> for writing apps such that settings can be discovered /without/ having
>> to resort to the doc. I suppose you think Firefox, Thunderbird, IE, etc.
>> need manpages, and should only be configurable via command-line
>> switches?
>
>  It's not as orthogonal as all that.  Sometimes a GUI program isn't just a
> GUI program.  Sometimes, even though it has a GUI, all you want to do is
> script it - at which point, you *have* to have command-line options.

No, that is not nessisary for scripting. Applescript works just fine on Mac
programs
that have no command line arguments. On Windows, COM (aka Active-X) allows
scripting of programs without command line arguments.

I will admit that batch command line scripting (as generally offered by
shells) is much
easier with command line options, but even then it might not be nessisary in
some circumstances.