public inbox for cygwin-talk@cygwin.com
* Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-17 16:34 Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-09-17 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'one... two....  duhhhhh.... many!'

  Another stunning display of skill, innovation, talent, and sheer unmitigated
competence from Microsoft, as they attempt to count up to four.  And fail!

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829019

MORE INFORMATION
There are currently three released versions of the .NET Framework:
.	The .NET Framework 3.0
.	The .NET Framework 2.0
.	The .NET Framework 1.1
Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
.	The .NET Framework 1.0
Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.

    cheers,
      DaveK

* Re: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-17 16:45 ` One Angry User
From: One Angry User @ 2007-09-17 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

On a chilly Monday morning, the 17th day of September, 2007, Dave Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

>   Another stunning display of skill, innovation, talent, and sheer
> unmitigated competence from Microsoft, as they attempt to count up to
> four.  And fail!
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829019
>
> MORE INFORMATION
> There are currently three released versions of the .NET Framework:
> .	The .NET Framework 3.0
> .	The .NET Framework 2.0
> .	The .NET Framework 1.1
> Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
> .	The .NET Framework 1.0
> Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.

They are used to much larger numbers...

OAU

* RE: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-17 18:51   ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-09-17 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'three IS four in base zero'

On 17 September 2007 17:34, One Angry User wrote:

> On a chilly Monday morning, the 17th day of September, 2007, Dave Korn's
> computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>
>>   Another stunning display of skill, innovation, talent, and sheer
>> unmitigated competence from Microsoft, as they attempt to count up to
>> four.  And fail!
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829019
>>
>> MORE INFORMATION
>> There are currently three released versions of the .NET Framework: .	The
>> .NET Framework 3.0 .	The .NET Framework 2.0
>> .	The .NET Framework 1.1
>> Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
>> .	The .NET Framework 1.0
>> Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.
>
> They are used to much larger numbers...
>
> OAU

  Or perhaps just none too clear on the difference between a release version
and a release series.

  Whatever the case, it's vulgar and unprofessional of them!

    cheers,
      DaveK

* RE: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-17 19:04     ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2007-09-17 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Dave Korn wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 12:45 PM:

> On 17 September 2007 17:34, One Angry User wrote:
>
>> On a chilly Monday morning, the 17th day of September, 2007, Dave
>> Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:
>>
>>>   Another stunning display of skill, innovation, talent, and sheer
>>> unmitigated competence from Microsoft, as they attempt to count up
>>> to four.  And fail!
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829019
>>>
>>> MORE INFORMATION
>>> There are currently three released versions of the .NET Framework:
>>> .	The .NET Framework 3.0
>>> .	The .NET Framework 2.0
>>> .	The .NET Framework 1.1
>>> Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
>>> .	The .NET Framework 1.0
>>> Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.
>>
>> They are used to much larger numbers...
>>
>> OAU
>
>   Or perhaps just none too clear on the difference between a release
> version and a release series.
>
>   Whatever the case, it's vulgar and unprofessional of them!
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK

But it's vulgar and unprofessional by design.  Remember that MS designs its products to be easy to use by people who don't know what they are doing.  The side effect is that it makes if harder to use by people who DO know what they're doing.  So MS counting professionally would be out of character.

- Barry
     -  Disclaimer:  Statements made herein are NOT made on behalf of NIAID or any component of the US Government.  But if you must complain, please see http://justice.gov/atr/contact/newcase.htm#file for instructions on how to file a complaint.

* RE: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-17 20:53       ` Dave Korn
From: Dave Korn @ 2007-09-17 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'all measurements accurate to three insignificant figures'

On 17 September 2007 19:51, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:

> Dave Korn wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 12:45 PM:
>
>> On 17 September 2007 17:34, One Angry User wrote:
>>
>>> On a chilly Monday morning, the 17th day of September, 2007, Dave
>>> Korn's computer deigned to emit the following stream of bytes:

The

>>> They are used to much larger numbers...
>>>
>>> OAU
>>
>>   Or perhaps just none too clear on the difference between a release
>> version and a release series.
>>
>>   Whatever the case, it's vulgar and unprofessional of them!
>>
>>     cheers,
>>       DaveK
>
> But it's vulgar and unprofessional by design.  Remember that MS designs its
> products to be easy to use by people who don't know what they are doing.
> The side effect is that it makes if harder to use by people who DO know
> what they're doing.  So MS counting professionally would be out of
> character.

  I have some bad news.  Microsoft just rushed a standard through the ISO
fast-track acceptance process, and now they've standardised the new value of
three as being four.

  <sigh> Now I've go back over all my old geometrical software and figure out
how to implement evaluatePIlikeIndiana97.[*]

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - that's 1897, of course :)

* RE: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-18  0:09         ` Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E]
From: Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] @ 2007-09-18  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List

Dave Korn wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 3:05 PM:

> On 17 September 2007 19:51, Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) wrote:
>
>> Dave Korn wrote on Monday, September 17, 2007 12:45 PM:

>>>   Or perhaps just none too clear on the difference between a
>>> release version and a release series.
>>>
>>>   Whatever the case, it's vulgar and unprofessional of them!
>>>
>>>     cheers,
>>>       DaveK
>>
>> But it's vulgar and unprofessional by design.  Remember that MS
>> designs its products to be easy to use by people who don't know what
>> they are doing. The side effect is that it makes if harder to use by
>> people who DO
>> know what they're doing.  So MS counting professionally would be out
>> of
>> character.
>
>   I have some bad news.  Microsoft just rushed a standard through the
> ISO fast-track acceptance process, and now they've standardised the
> new value of three as being four.
>
>   <sigh> Now I've go back over all my old geometrical software and
> figure out how to implement evaluatePIlikeIndiana97.[*]
>
>     cheers,
>       DaveK
>
> [*] - that's 1897, of course :)

But isn't that how computers work?  In base 2, the only digits are 0 and 1 so both 3 and 4 are undefined, meaningless, and, therefore, effectively identical.

* Re: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-09-18 12:14           ` Morgan Gangwere
From: Morgan Gangwere @ 2007-09-18 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Vulgar and extremely highly Unprofessional Cygwin-Talk List
	(now with more jolt cola)

> But isn't that how computers work?  In base 2, the only digits are 0 and 1 so both 3 and 4 are undefined, meaningless, and, therefore, effectively identical.

but thanks to math, 3=0! therfore, 4=0! (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invalid_proof#Proof_that_3.3D0 )

M$ must be using Hex Math... where -1=N
--
Morgan gangwere

Please Excuse TOFU. Gmail/Mobile has no Power.

"Space does not reflect society, it expresses it." -- Castells, M.,
Space of Flows, Space of Places: Materials for a Theory of Urbanism in
the Information Age, in The Cybercities Reader, S. Graham, Editor.
2004, Routledge: London. p. 82-93.

* Re: Microsoft can't count!
@ 2007-10-18 16:01 ` Robert Pendell
From: Robert Pendell @ 2007-10-18 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-talk

"Dave Korn" wrote in message

>  Another stunning display of skill, innovation, talent, and sheer
> unmitigated
> competence from Microsoft, as they attempt to count up to four.  And fail!
>

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;829019
>
> MORE INFORMATION
> There are currently three released versions of the .NET Framework:
> . The .NET Framework 3.0
> . The .NET Framework 2.0
> . The .NET Framework 1.1
> Service Pack 1 (SP1) is the latest service pack.
> . The .NET Framework 1.0
> Service Pack 3 (SP3) is the latest service pack.

Actually technically that is correct....

Version 1 (1.1 is included here)
Version 2.0
Version 3.0

I think they meant that there are currently three "major" versions of the
.NET Framework.  Version 1.1 is a minor release and last I looked you would
of had either 1.0 or 1.1.  1.1 upgrades a 1.0 install.  I'll let someone
know about it though so it can be changed.