* re: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03  4:14 Daniel Danger Bentley
From: Daniel Danger Bentley @ 2004-03-03  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have been having the same problem.  Attached is my XWin.log.

To clarify:  2 screens.  Any movement of a window makes it enter a state
where it is all white when on the right screen, and will display normally on
the left screen, except for the cursor.

I miss my rootless, multiwindow display!

Thanks,
Dan

Re:

 Ben Jackson wrote:

I have been (successfully) using XWin with -multimonitor -multiwindow
recently. However, since upgrading to the latest release (via setup.exe -
4.2.0-3)

4.2.0-3 of what? The only really useful version number is the version of the
XFree86-xserv package, and the current version is 4.3.0-49. Update tomorrow
and see how it works.

Harold

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.log --]

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 4.3.0.49
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin -multimonitors -multiwindow

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeDefaultScreens - w 1600 h 1200
winInitializeDefaultScreens - Returning
Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 4.3.0.49
Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

OsVendorInit - Creating bogus screen 0
winValidateArgs - g_iNumScreens: 1 iMaxConsecutiveScreen: 1
winDetectSupportedEngines - Windows NT/2000/XP
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - DirectDraw4 installed
winDetectSupportedEngines - Returning, supported engines 00000007
winScreenInit - dwWidth: 1600 dwHeight: 1200
winSetEngine - Multi Window => ShadowGDI
winAdjustVideoModeShadowGDI - Using Windows display depth of 32 bits per pixel
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - User w: 1600 h: 1200
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - Current w: 1600 h: 1200
winGetWorkArea - Original WorkArea: 0 0 1200 1600
winGetWorkArea - Virtual screen is 3200 x 1200
winGetWorkArea - Virtual screen origin is -1600, 0
winGetWorkArea - Primary screen is 1600 x 1200
winGetWorkArea - Adjusted WorkArea for multiple monitors: 0 -1600 1200 1600
winAdjustForAutoHide - Original WorkArea: 0 -1600 1200 1600
winAdjustForAutoHide - Adjusted WorkArea: 0 -1600 1200 1600
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed - WindowClient w 3200 h 1200 r 3200 l 0 b 1200 t 0
winCreateBoundingWindowWindowed -  Returning
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Creating DIB with width: 3200 height: 1200 depth: 32
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Dibsection width: 3200 height: 1200 depth: 32 size image: 15360000
winAllocateFBShadowGDI - Created shadow stride: 3200
winFinishScreenInitFB - Masks: 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff
winInitVisualsShadowGDI - Masks 00ff0000 0000ff00 000000ff BPRGB 8 d 24 bpp 32
winCreateDefColormap - Deferring to fbCreateDefColormap ()
null screen fn ReparentWindow
null screen fn RestackWindow
winFinishScreenInitFB - Calling winInitWM.
InitQueue - Calling pthread_mutex_init
InitQueue - pthread_mutex_init returned
InitQueue - Calling pthread_cond_init
InitQueue - pthread_cond_init returned
winInitWM - Returning.
winFinishScreenInitFB - returning
winScreenInit - returning
winInitMultiWindowWM - Hello
winInitMultiWindowWM - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Hello
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - Calling pthread_mutex_lock ()
InitOutput - Returning.
MIT-SHM extension disabled due to lack of kernel support
XFree86-Bigfont extension local-client optimization disabled due to lack of shared memory support in the kernel
(--) Setting autorepeat to delay=500, rate=31
(--) winConfigKeyboard - Layout: "00000409" (00000409)
Rules = "xfree86" Model = "pc101" Layout = "us" Variant = "(null)" Options = "(null)"
winPointerWarpCursor - Discarding first warp: 1600 600
winBlockHandler - Releasing pmServerStarted
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winInitMultiWindowWM - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_lock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0
winBlockHandler - pthread_mutex_unlock () returned
winProcEstablishConnection - Hello
winProcEstablishConnection - Clipboard is not enabled, returning.
winInitMultiWindowWM - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.
winMultiWindowXMsgProc - XOpenDisplay () returned and successfully opened the display.

* Re: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03  4:36 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-03-03  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Daniel Danger Bentley wrote:
> I have been having the same problem.  Attached is my XWin.log.
>
> To clarify:  2 screens.  Any movement of a window makes it enter a state
> where it is all white when on the right screen, and will display normally on
> the left screen, except for the cursor.
>
> I miss my rootless, multiwindow display!
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Hmm... maybe Takuma will know something about this since he was recently
changing code related to windows not redrawing correctly.

Takuma, any ideas?

Harold

* Re: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03 10:35   ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-03-03 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

> Hmm... maybe Takuma will know something about this since he was recently
> changing code related to windows not redrawing correctly.
>
> Takuma, any ideas?

I have committed a fix in winAdjustXWindow.

Takuma Murakami

* Re: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03 13:31     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-03-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks Takuma.

Takuma Murakami wrote:

> Harold,
>

>>Hmm... maybe Takuma will know something about this since he was recently
>>changing code related to windows not redrawing correctly.
>>
>>Takuma, any ideas?
>

> I have committed a fix in winAdjustXWindow.
>
> Takuma Murakami

* RE: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03 13:44       ` Ben Jackson
From: Ben Jackson @ 2004-03-03 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Bingo. That fixes my problem ;]

Thanks guys.

>>Hmm... maybe Takuma will know something about this since he was recently
>>changing code related to windows not redrawing correctly.
>>
>>Takuma, any ideas?
>

> I have committed a fix in winAdjustXWindow.
>
> Takuma Murakami

* multimonitor question
@ 2004-03-03 14:54         ` Ben Jackson
From: Ben Jackson @ 2004-03-03 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Is there any way to specify the default position of new windows when using:
-multimonitors -multiwindow?
as it stands, my left hand monitor is at a smaller res then the right, and
as the x server put it at 0,0 I have to right click the taskbar and "Move"
the window... this is quite frustrating... is there any solution? Or will I
have to download the 200+MB source tree?

Thanks

ben

* Re: multimonitor question
@ 2004-03-03 16:07           ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-03 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004, Ben Jackson wrote:

> Is there any way to specify the default position of new windows when using:
> -multimonitors -multiwindow?
> as it stands, my left hand monitor is at a smaller res then the right, and
> as the x server put it at 0,0 I have to right click the taskbar and "Move"
> the window... this is quite frustrating... is there any solution? Or will I
> have to download the 200+MB source tree?
>
> Thanks
> ben

Ben,

You can always supply the -geometry flag to any X application...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: multimonitor question
@ 2004-03-04  6:10           ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-03-04  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Ben,

Please utilize the -geometry option as Igor says.

Perhaps you are placing your monitors like the following
figure (fixed-width fonts are assumed).

+-----------+--------------+
|           |              |
|           |              |
|           |              |
+-----------+              |
|           |  monitor B   |
|           |              |
| monitor A |              |
|           |              |
+-----------+--------------+

Cygwin/X maps the top-left corner of the whole virtual screen
to (0, 0) on which new windows are to be placed.  As long as
you specify -multimonitors in those situations, you should
accept this result and make use of -display option.  Of course
proposals of better ways of mapping would be appreciated.

The true problem is that no matter if -multimonitors is
specified or not, some code assume the top-left corner of
the whole virtual screen is (0, 0).  Therefore users will
accidentally lose their new windows though they are willing
to use only the primary monitor.

Takuma Murakami

* Re: multimonitor question
@ 2004-03-04 13:22             ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-03-04 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004, Takuma Murakami wrote:

> Ben,
>
> Please utilize the -geometry option as Igor says.
>
> Perhaps you are placing your monitors like the following
> figure (fixed-width fonts are assumed).
>
> +-----------+--------------+
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+              |
> |           |  monitor B   |
> |           |              |
> | monitor A |              |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+--------------+
>
> Cygwin/X maps the top-left corner of the whole virtual screen
> to (0, 0) on which new windows are to be placed.  As long as
> you specify -multimonitors in those situations, you should
> accept this result and make use of -display option.  Of course
> proposals of better ways of mapping would be appreciated.
>
> The true problem is that no matter if -multimonitors is
> specified or not, some code assume the top-left corner of
> the whole virtual screen is (0, 0).  Therefore users will
> accidentally lose their new windows though they are willing
> to use only the primary monitor.
>
> Takuma Murakami

Takuma,

Not having looked at the code, I may be asking something naïve, but
isn't the following layout also possible?

+-----------+--------------+
|           |              |
|           |              |
| monitor A |              |
|           |  monitor B   |
|           |              |
+-----------+              |
|           |              |
|           |              |
+-----------+--------------+

And if it is (and I can think of others, too), shouldn't the choice of
layout be configurable somehow?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: multimonitor question
@ 2004-03-04 14:38               ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-03-04 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Igor,

> Not having looked at the code, I may be asking something naïve, but
> isn't the following layout also possible?
>
> +-----------+--------------+
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> | monitor A |              |
> |           |  monitor B   |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+              |
> |           |              |
> |           |              |
> +-----------+--------------+
>
> And if it is (and I can think of others, too), shouldn't the choice of
> layout be configurable somehow?

The placement of monitors is configured in the Windows layer.
With dual monitor systems you can freely move the monitors
in the display setting menu (I don't know the exact name in
English Windows; right-click desktop and select the rightmost
tab).  Windows let flexible placement to accommodate various
real layouts of monitors.

The virtual screen is formed as the smallest rectangle that
includes all monitors.  For example we can consider the
following placement which has two empty areas.

+-----------+--------------+
|           |              |
|           |              |
|           |  monitor B   |
+-----------+              |
|           |              |
|           +--------------+
| monitor A |              |
|           |              |
+-----------+--------------+

Hope this helps.

Takuma Murakami

* Re: multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-03  3:59 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-03-03  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Ben Jackson wrote:

> I have been (successfully) using XWin with -multimonitor -multiwindow
> recently. However, since upgrading to the latest release (via setup.exe -
> 4.2.0-3)

4.2.0-3 of what?  The only really useful version number is the version
of the XFree86-xserv package, and the current version is 4.3.0-49.
Update tomorrow and see how it works.

Harold

* multiwindow broken?
@ 2004-03-02 22:30 Ben Jackson
From: Ben Jackson @ 2004-03-02 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I have been (successfully) using XWin with -multimonitor -multiwindow
recently. However, since upgrading to the latest release (via setup.exe -
4.2.0-3) the multiwindow support seems to have gone crazy... it opens the
window ok (if in the top corner of the /other/ monitor), but then when I try
to move the window, I end up with two versions of the window being rendered,
and neither of them seem to respond, or redraw themselves. Has something
been changed? I'm running windows XP with 2 monitors, one at 1024x768
(left), one at 1280x1024(right). I've tried putting them to the same res and
it made no difference. I presume it works without multimonitor, but as I
cant move the windows that appear (they appear off the top of my left
screen) I can't be sure...

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Ben Jackson