* Re: Problem with xman
@ 2004-03-15 11:30 fergus
From: fergus @ 2004-03-15 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus, rodmedina

Rodrigo,

Thank you. Your mod to /bin/nroff provided as an attachment at
http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-03/msg00299.html worked
perfectly. That is, an xman page now appears with the expected enhanced
view rather than the escape codes.

As a separate issue, I have noticed that any attempt to view a second xman
page is defeated (at least in XP Pro) with an error message as follows:

    Xman Warning:
    Something went wrong trying to run the command:
    cd /usr/man ; tbl /usr/man/man1/{requested page} | neqn | nroff -man
..{rest of msg off screen}

and

    cannot create /tmp/xman002688: permission denied

whose solution may reside in something to do with permissions rather than
Xman ...

Fergus

* Re: Problem with xman
@ 2004-03-15 11:45 fergus
From: fergus @ 2004-03-15 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus, rodmedina

@ 2004-03-11 17:35 rodmedina
From: rodmedina @ 2004-03-11 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

 Sorry,
theb urls were wrong in the previous message

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-02/msg00158.html
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2004-02/msg00185.html
R.M.

* RE: Problem with xman
@ 2004-03-11 17:30 rodmedina
From: rodmedina @ 2004-03-11 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

 Fergus,

See

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cywin-xfree/2004-02/msg00158.html

and

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cywin-xfree/2004-02/msg00185.html

I undertand that the only way to make xman function properly is to
modify the script /bin/nroff in order to force the -c option. That is not
a clean solution. What should be done is to modify Xman in order to
include the -c option when Xman calls nroff. I believe that that
should be done by the XFree mantainers. In any case in the attachment
there is the modified nroff.

Rodrigo Medina

[-- Attachment #2: nroff.mod --]

#!/bin/sh
# Emulate nroff with groff.

prog="$0"
# Default device.
# First try the "locale charmap" command, because it's most reliable.
# On systems where it doesn't exist, look at the environment variables.
case "`locale charmap`" in
  UTF-8)
    T=-Tutf8 ;;
  ISO-8859-1)
    T=-Tlatin1 ;;
  IBM-1047)
    T=-Tcp1047 ;;
  *)
    case "${LC_ALL-${LC_CTYPE-${LANG}}}" in
      *.UTF-8)
        T=-Tutf8 ;;
      iso_8859_1 | *.ISO-8859-1)
        T=-Tlatin1 ;;
      *.IBM-1047)
        T=-Tcp1047 ;;
      *)
        case "$LESSCHARSET" in
          utf-8)
            T=-Tutf8 ;;
          latin1)
            T=-Tlatin1 ;;
          cp1047)
            T=-Tcp1047 ;;
          *)
            T=-Tascii ;;
          esac ;;
     esac ;;
esac 2>/dev/null
opts=

# `for i; do' doesn't work with some versions of sh

for i
  do
  case $1 in
    -c) ;;
#      opts="$opts -P-c" ;;
    -h)
      opts="$opts -P-h" ;;
    -[eq] | -s*)
      # ignore these options
      ;;
    -[mrnoT])
      echo "$prog: option $1 requires an argument" >&2
      exit 1 ;;
    -[iptSUC] | -[mrno]*)
      opts="$opts $1" ;;
    -Tascii | -Tlatin1 | -Tutf8 | -Tcp1047)
      T=$1 ;;
    -T*)
      # ignore other devices
      ;;
    -u*)
      # Solaris 2.2 `man' uses -u0; ignore it,
      # since `less' and `more' can use the emboldening info.
      ;;
    -v | --version)
      echo "GNU nroff (groff) version 1.18.1"
      exit 0 ;;
    --help)
      echo "usage: nroff [-cChipt] [-mNAME] [-nNUM] [-oLIST] [-rCN] [-Tname] [FILE...]"
      exit 0 ;;
    --)
      shift
      break ;;
    -)
      break ;;
    -*)
      echo "$prog: invalid option $1" >&2
      exit 1 ;;
    *)
      break ;;
  esac
  shift
done
# Esto es para forzar la opcion -c

opts="$opts -P-c"

# This shell script is intended for use with man, so warnings are
# probably not wanted.  Also load nroff-style character definitions.

: ${GROFF_BIN_PATH=/usr/bin}
export GROFF_BIN_PATH
PATH=$GROFF_BIN_PATH:$PATH groff -mtty-char $T $opts ${1+"$@"}

# eof

* Problem with xman
@ 2004-03-09 11:40 fergus
From: fergus @ 2004-03-09 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: fergus

I'm running XWin -51 and the 20040306 snapshot. If I try "xman" then
everything looks as though it's going to work beautifully (and it does, as
far as file access etc goes) but a typical man page, when it appears, shows
control instructions like this:

1mNAME0m
        diff - compare files line by line

1mSYNOPSIS0m
        1mdiff 22m[4mOPTION24m] ... 4mFILES0m

etc.

Anybody else get this? Do I need to do something simple to correct this
behaviour?

Fergus