* chmod
@ 2003-11-12  4:18 Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-12  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin list

Hi all,
I've sent to myself from my office a little bash program. With Xterm it is
impossible to change the peremissions even if 'chmod -v' says that new
permissions have take place. I have no idea about, do you have one?

Thank you

* Re: chmod
@ 2003-11-12 14:58 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-11-12 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lorenzo Travaglio; +Cc: cygwin, cygwin-xfree

Lorenzo,

This doesn't seem to be XFree-related, so the proper list is <cygwin at
cygwin dot com>.  I've redirected this there.

More replies inline below.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've sent to myself from my office a little bash program. With Xterm it is
> impossible to change the peremissions even if 'chmod -v' says that new
> permissions have take place. I have no idea about, do you have one?
>
> Thank you

The FAQ is your friend: <http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#SEC45>
However, that entry is missing one important bit: if you're on a FAT32
filesystem, you're out of luck as well.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: chmod
@ 2003-11-12 16:55 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-12 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin list, Lorenzo Travaglio

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> I've sent to myself from my office a little bash program. With Xterm it is
> impossible to change the peremissions even if 'chmod -v' says that new
> permissions have take place. I have no idea about, do you have one?

You mean you can change the permissions in a bash console window with
chmod, but not with chmod from an Xterm?

More likely, you are running an NT variant at work and 9x at home?  See:

http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC45 and
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PERM

In that case, this is not Xfree86 related, so next time please use the
main cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.  Also, see:

http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html

for how to report this issue correctly so that someone can answer without
guessing.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: chmod
@ 2003-11-13 23:38   ` Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-13 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

The only interface with Cygwin that actually works is the bash console, I'm
sorry for the mistake. Looking at the sae file with Windows Explorer it is
possible, however, to change the attributes, but not with chmod, That's
looks strange, but I didn't found any way to solve the problem.

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:
>
> > I've sent to myself from my office a little bash program. With Xterm it
is
> > impossible to change the peremissions even if 'chmod -v' says that new
> > permissions have take place. I have no idea about, do you have one?
> >
> You mean you can change the permissions in a bash console window with
> chmod, but not with chmod from an Xterm?
>
> More likely, you are running an NT variant at work and 9x at home?  See:
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC45 and
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/highlights.html#OV-HI-PERM
>
> In that case, this is not Xfree86 related, so next time please use the
> main cygwin@cygwin.com mailing list.  Also, see:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> for how to report this issue correctly so that someone can answer without
> guessing.  Thanks.
>
> --
> Brian Ford
> Senior Realtime Software Engineer
> VITAL - Visual Simulation Systems
> FlightSafety International
> Phone: 314-551-8460
> Fax:   314-551-8444

* Re: chmod
@ 2003-11-14  0:37     ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-14  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Lorenzo Travaglio

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> The only interface with Cygwin that actually works is the bash console, I'm
> sorry for the mistake. Looking at the sae file with Windows Explorer it is
> possible, however, to change the attributes, but not with chmod, That's
> looks strange, but I didn't found any way to solve the problem.

Ugh.  Again, what OS and what filesystem, and:

--

@ 2003-11-15  5:49       ` Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-15  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Ugh.  Again, what OS and what filesystem, and:
Sorry. Win98.