* Re: no key input
@ 2003-10-24 22:10 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-24 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks Harold for the special XWin.exe
but I must report "still no key input" on local xterms.

I noticed that my XWin.exe is dated as Oct 6. The latest
xserv went public on last Friday Oct 17 and I updated
it on the following Monday Oct 20. I know I was able
to move around on Oct 17(before I updated to the latest).

The latest package didn't update XWin.exe, did it?
Almost all other exe files in /usr/X11R6/bin are dated
as Oct 16 now so they are probably included in the latest
package but I don't think XWin.exe is.

This leads me to think that XWin.exe is not the culprit.

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-11-17 19:52       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-17 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Fabrice,

Fabrice Coudert wrote:

> After more investigation this bug appears when shared build of libXaw,
> libXmu and libXt was
> enabled in the CVS
> (http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/config/cf/cygwin.rules.diff?r1=3.26&r2=3.27).
>
> Xterm works fine if I build the latest HEAD branch with cygwin.rules
> rev. 3.26.
>
> Now what is the real problem with those libraries ? Any clues will be
> appreciated.

The real problem is that we need an OS/2-style call to the
_XawFixupVendorShell function, along with a few other good bits.  I
enabled a call to this function and tested a rebuild of Xaw... it works
as expected.  The patch is in the following email:

http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-11/msg00221.html

Harold

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-11-06 23:31     ` Fabrice Coudert
From: Fabrice Coudert @ 2003-11-06 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

After more investigation this bug appears when shared build of libXaw,
libXmu and libXt was
enabled in the CVS
(http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/config/cf/cygwin.rules.diff?r1=3.26&r2=3.27).
Xterm works fine if I build the latest HEAD branch with cygwin.rules
rev. 3.26.

Now what is the real problem with those libraries ?
Any clues will be appreciated.

Fabrice.

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-11-01  2:14 Colin Harrison
From: Colin Harrison @ 2003-11-01  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

>I didn't realize you were building from CVS...
>I didn't realize anyone was doing that.

Yep some of us are still using CVS + various patches and customisations and
bodges (no pain no gain!).
My xc tree (XFree latest as of yesterday + patches) is as close as I thing
the game is and is still doing the job for me! (e.g. I've even patched for
new 'shared' rootless and haven't even used/tested it!).

Keep up the good work...I'll try to build/test new trees as they materialise
(within my scope...multiwindow and/or XDMCP on XP and Windows 2003 server
platforms)

Colin

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-10-31 17:47   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-31 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Fabrice,

Fabrice Coudert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I made some investigation in -multiwindow mode :
> - the problem also occurs on latest Cygwin release with X-Win32 5.4 and
> Cygwin xterm 4.2.99.903(174)
> - remote xterm 4.2.99.3(172) from a Mandrake 9.1 is ok.
> - a port of the release 172 into Cygwin doesn't solve the problem.
> - cvs release xf-4_3_0 is ok
> - cvs release xf-4_3_0_1 is ok
> - cvs release xf-4_3_99_14 is ok
> - cvs HEAD grabed at 10.31.2003 00:05 GMT+1 doesn't build :p
>
> xf-4_3_99_14 is enought for me to work with Cygwin/XFree86 in
> multiwindowed mode but, I continue further investigation in background
> on the HEAD branch trying to build it and using -D selector.

You mean to tell me that the problem doesn't happen in the XFree86-*
packages that I released?  I thought that was what had the problem.  I
didn't realize you were building from CVS... I didn't realize anyone was
doing that.  In any case, I think you know more about the problem that I
do now.  However, there have been updates to the XFree86 CVS that should
have been applied but were not, thus the public breakup that happened
earlier this week.  I am working on getting a tree setup at
freedesktop.org, so perhaps we can start debugging this better when that
tree is setup.

Thanks for looking into this,

Harold

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-10-31 13:09 ` Fabrice Coudert
From: Fabrice Coudert @ 2003-10-31 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

I made some investigation in -multiwindow mode :
- the problem also occurs on latest Cygwin release with X-Win32 5.4 and
Cygwin xterm 4.2.99.903(174)
- remote xterm 4.2.99.3(172) from a Mandrake 9.1 is ok.
- a port of the release 172 into Cygwin doesn't solve the problem.
- cvs release xf-4_3_0 is ok
- cvs release xf-4_3_0_1 is ok
- cvs release xf-4_3_99_14 is ok
- cvs HEAD grabed at 10.31.2003 00:05 GMT+1 doesn't build :p

xf-4_3_99_14 is enought for me to work with Cygwin/XFree86 in
multiwindowed mode but, I continue further investigation in background
on the HEAD branch trying to build it and using -D selector.

Hope this help you.

Fabrice.

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-10-27  4:02     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27  4:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Good point.  I think this has to do with the shared Xt library.  I will
check into this.

Harold

Kensuke Matsuzaki wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Even if I use X-Win32 and eXcursion trial version, I can't input using
> keyboard when mouse cursor is not on xterm.
> And remote xterm is all right.
> So perhaps this problem depends on client side.
>
> Kensuke Matsuzaki

* Re: no key input
@ 2003-10-25  3:32   ` Kensuke Matsuzaki
From: Kensuke Matsuzaki @ 2003-10-25  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-10-24 21:24 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Dai,

Very good documentation of your bug.  Thanks.

One undocumented change I made somewhere between October 4th and October
24th was to include the final version of Ivan Pascal's
xc/programs/Xserver/os/WaitFor.c patch:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/xoncygwin/xc/programs/Xserver/os/WaitFor.c?r1=1.2&r2=1.3

I suspect that this patch may be involved with the keyboard focus
problems, since the problem seems to affect multi-window, rootless, and
standard modes of operation.  I have not yet merged Kensuke's new
rootless code into a release, so I know that his new code has nothing to
do with this at all.

I have built a special test version of XWin.exe for you to check out.
The test version's only difference from 4.3.0-20 is that it reverts the
above patch to WaitFor.c.  Please run it and report your results:

http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/XWin-4.3.0-20-Test01.exe.bz2

Thanks for testing,

Harold

Dai Itasaka wrote:

> My startxwin.sh gives me the root window and an xterm window in it.
> I login to a remote host from this xterm after doing xhost for it.
> From there, I invoke xterm specifying the local PC as the display.
> Now I have two xterm windows here: one invoked locally, the other
> invoked from the remote host.
>
> TWM is my window manager. My preference is to show the IconManager
> at the upper right hand corner of the root, in which I can move
> from one icon to the next by pressing the keyboard combo specified
> in the ~/.twmrc as "f.downiconmgr" or "f.upiconmgr". If I press
> the key combo, no matter where the mouse cursor is at, it jumps
> to the IconManager area and points to the window that has the keyboard
> focus at the time. As I press the "up" or the "down" key, the mouse
> cursor jumps to one icon up or down, and the keyboard focus moves
> to the corresponding window at once. This is the equivalent of
> MS Windows' Alt-Tab for me in X(no autoraise by default though).
> This is how I move the keyboard focus from one window to another.
> I can't live without this as I have been doing this for over 10
> years now. I'm so accustomed to it that I sometimes do it in MS
> Windows.
>
> Now, with the latest Cygwin install, I still can move the keyboard
> focus by pressing the "up" or "down" key, thus I can toggle the
> keyboard focus between the two xterm windows I mentioned above.
> But, the xterm that is locally executed(cygwin xterm) doesnt take
> any key input unless I move the mouse cursor over the xterm
> window area, while the one that is remotely executed can take key
> inputs as usual without moving a mouse(the mouse cursor stays in
> the IconManager area).
>
> Until the one before the latest(XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-18?), this was
> not the case. I was able to move around AND TYPE. Something that
> was added since then broke this capability.

* no key input
@ 2003-10-24 20:59 Dai Itasaka
From: Dai Itasaka @ 2003-10-24 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree