* RE: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault WAS Re: c ompiling DDD
@ 2003-12-04 14:49 Richard Campbell
From: Richard Campbell @ 2003-12-04 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'; +Cc: bug-ddd

>That is a bug in gcc on cygwin related to "#pragma interface".
>Please look for help on the cygwin mailing list.

Arnaud, the problem is with both "#pragma interface" and "#pragma
implementation".

Guarding all "#pragma interface" and "#pragma implementation" calls with
ifndef __CYGWIN__

allows everything to compile cleanly - is this something that could be
applied to the main baseline?

>Modifying ddd/config.h will not help. There is a problem with the
>lesstif distribution on cygwin. See:
>http://www.lesstif.org/INSTALL.html

Is the following what you are referring to?

"On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
static libraries. Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32
is the moronic DLL format. Specifically - it is not possible to export
data from a Win32 DLL in a form that can be used to statically initialize
another global variable. Data access from a DLL requires at least one
pointer indirection, and hence executable code. This is why X11R6 doesn't
have DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32."

If yes, these rules have been changing.  Brian, isn't this what you
were specifically working on recently?

-Richard Campbell.

* Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault WAS Re: c ompiling DDD
@ 2003-12-04 15:49 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-04 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: bug-ddd

Richard Campbell wrote:
>>Modifying ddd/config.h will not help. There is a problem with the
>>lesstif distribution on cygwin. See:
>>http://www.lesstif.org/INSTALL.html
>

> Is the following what you are referring to?
>
> "On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
> static libraries. Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32
> is the moronic DLL format. Specifically - it is not possible to export
> data from a Win32 DLL in a form that can be used to statically initialize
> another global variable. Data access from a DLL requires at least one
> pointer indirection, and hence executable code. This is why X11R6 doesn't
> have DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32."
>
> If yes, these rules have been changing.  Brian, isn't this what you
> were specifically working on recently?

The statement in quotes above is now misleading and completely
incorrect.  We are distributing *only* a shared version of LessTif on
Cygwin now.  The various problems mentioned in the quote all have
work-arounds, some of which were already used by OS/2; we enabled those
work-arounds and adding one or two more of our own and the shared
LessTif library compiles and works fine now.

The problem is not with Cygwin's LessTif... the problem is in how DDD is
detecting LessTif on Cygwin.  It must be assuming that the file name for
the import library with be of the format foo.a whereas the name is of
the format foo.dll.a on Cygwin.

Harold

* Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault WAS Re: compiling DDD
@ 2003-12-04 16:51 ` Arnaud Desitter
From: Arnaud Desitter @ 2003-12-04 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, richard.campbell; +Cc: bug-ddd

> >That is a bug in gcc on cygwin related to "#pragma interface".
> >Please look for help on the cygwin mailing list.
>
> Arnaud, the problem is with both "#pragma interface" and "#pragma
> implementation".
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2003-07/msg00463.html
>
> Guarding all "#pragma interface" and "#pragma implementation" calls with
> ifndef __CYGWIN__
>
> allows everything to compile cleanly - is this something that could be
> applied to the main baseline?

It may be better to fix gcc. However, you can try to convince the ddd
maintainer.

> >Modifying ddd/config.h will not help. There is a problem with the
> >lesstif distribution on cygwin. See:
> >http://www.lesstif.org/INSTALL.html
>
> Is the following what you are referring to?

What I was referring to is that in the curent lesstif version, the
compatibility
mode is hard-coded at build time. Therefore, there is no compatibility
switch to play with once lesstif is installed.

Please try on Cygwin:
>cat Xmcheck.c
#include <Xm/Xm.h>
#include <stdio.h>
int main(void){
  printf("xmUseVersion=%d XmVersion=%d\n",
         xmUseVersion, XmVersion);
  return 0;
}
>gcc -Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include Xmcheck.c -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm
>./a.out
xmUseVersion=2002 XmVersion=2002

If it gives different numbers, there is a good chance that your lesstif
library won't work properly.

Regards,

@ 2003-12-04 17:34   ` Arnaud Desitter
From: Arnaud Desitter @ 2003-12-04 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, huntharo

> > "On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
> > static libraries. Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32
> > is the moronic DLL format. Specifically - it is not possible to export
> > data from a Win32 DLL in a form that can be used to statically
initialize
> > another global variable. Data access from a DLL requires at least one
> > pointer indirection, and hence executable code. This is why X11R6
doesn't
> > have DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32."
> >
> > If yes, these rules have been changing.  Brian, isn't this what you
> > were specifically working on recently?
>
> The statement in quotes above is now misleading and completely
> incorrect.  We are distributing *only* a shared version of LessTif on
> Cygwin now.  The various problems mentioned in the quote all have
> work-arounds, some of which were already used by OS/2; we enabled those
> work-arounds and adding one or two more of our own and the shared
> LessTif library compiles and works fine now.

Fill free to contact the lesstif guys to fix it.

Regards,

* Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault WAS Re: c ompiling DDD
@ 2003-12-04 19:00     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-04 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnaud Desitter; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

Arnaud Desitter wrote:
>>>If yes, these rules have been changing.  Brian, isn't this what you
>>>were specifically working on recently?
>>
>>The statement in quotes above is now misleading and completely
>>incorrect.  We are distributing *only* a shared version of LessTif on
>>Cygwin now.  The various problems mentioned in the quote all have
>>work-arounds, some of which were already used by OS/2; we enabled those
>>work-arounds and adding one or two more of our own and the shared
>>LessTif library compiles and works fine now.
>>

> Fill free to contact the lesstif guys to fix it.
>
> Regards,

Regards,

My bad... I'm just a clueless newbie to this whole open-source
development thingy majig.

Harold

* INSTALL.html#compile_Windows was (Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault)
@ 2003-12-04 19:35     ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-12-04 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: lesstif, bug-ddd

Arnaud Desitter wrote:
> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>> Richard Campbell wrote:
>>>
>>> "On windows using Cygwin, U/WIN or Interix, LessTif must be built as
>>> static libraries. Because, one of the biggest issues with X on Win32
>>> is the moronic DLL format. Specifically - it is not possible to export
>>> data from a Win32 DLL in a form that can be used to statically initialize
>>> another global variable. Data access from a DLL requires at least one
>>> pointer indirection, and hence executable code. This is why X11R6 doesn't
>>> have DLLs for Xt/Xmu/Xaw (and Motif) on Win32."
>>>
>>> If yes, these rules have been changing.  Brian, isn't this what you
>>> were specifically working on recently?

I was just trying to help pick up the pieces.

Ralf Habacker and Harold L Hunt II fixed the shared Xt problem here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00173.html

Then, Zhangrong Huang and Harold L Hunt II fixed lesstif here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00347.html

> > The statement in quotes above is now misleading and completely
> > incorrect.  We are distributing *only* a shared version of LessTif on
> > Cygwin now.  The various problems mentioned in the quote all have
> > work-arounds, some of which were already used by OS/2; we enabled those
> > work-arounds and adding one or two more of our own and the shared
> > LessTif library compiles and works fine now.

I'll take an action item to push these changes back upstream to lesstif,
but don't expect any particular time line.

> Fill free to contact the lesstif guys to fix it.

I did, here:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00291.html

They have not, yet.

I guess I need to supply an actual documentation patch.  Again, I'll put
it on my list.  But, don't expect immediate action.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: [Lesstif] INSTALL.html#compile_Windows was (Re: DDD 3.3.8 (i686-pc-cygwin) gets `Segmentation fault)
@ 2003-12-07 10:41       ` Danny Backx
From: Danny Backx @ 2003-12-07 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, maybe I didn't read some message carefully enough to figure
out that this was a complete and working patch set, not work
in progress.

If that is so, my apologies.

Anyway : I've located the messages in your mail and worked through
the patch set. I've applied them. One was wrong (aclocal.m4 is a
generated file, ac_find_xft.m4 needed to be changed instead.

I've edited the INSTALL document, you may want to read the
changes. I am not sure whether Interix and others still exist,
maybe you'd like me to add more comments about Cygwin. If you
do, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't run Cygwin regularly so I'm not in a position to test
these changes. Can someone check ? Do you want me to create
another release of LessTif with this change ?

	Danny

@ 2003-12-08 18:57         ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-12-08 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Danny Backx wrote:

> Hmm, maybe I didn't read some message carefully enough to figure
> out that this was a complete and working patch set, not work
> in progress.

At the time, a lesstif DLL for Cygwin was still a work in progress, all be
it an iminent one.  But, the Xt/Xmu/Xaw DLLs described by your
documentation as the reason for its impossibility did already exist.
Hence, I requested a documentation update while soliciting help for the
work in progress.

> If that is so, my apologies.

It was confusing, and I should have supplied an actual documentation patch
instead of just the commentary.  So, my appologies as well.

> Anyway : I've located the messages in your mail and worked through
> the patch set. I've applied them. One was wrong (aclocal.m4 is a
> generated file, ac_find_xft.m4 needed to be changed instead.

I definately did not expect you to do this.  As I stated previously, I
intended to clean them up and submit them myself given sufficient time.
At the time of the first report, this patch set did not exist, yet.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to do this.  I have not yet had the
time to review the resul, but I will try to soon.

> I've edited the INSTALL document, you may want to read the
> changes. I am not sure whether Interix and others still exist,
> maybe you'd like me to add more comments about Cygwin. If you
> do, don't hesitate to ask.

This looks fine for now.  Thank you again.

> I don't run Cygwin regularly so I'm not in a position to test
> these changes. Can someone check ? Do you want me to create
> another release of LessTif with this change ?

I will check as soon as I find time.

Cygwin distributes its own binary and source releases independant of the
lesstif release schedule, so a new release from you is not necessary.
Thanks for the offer.

@ 2003-12-04 18:23 ` Arnaud Desitter
From: Arnaud Desitter @ 2003-12-04 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, richard.campbell; +Cc: bug-ddd

From: Arnaud Desitter @ 2003-12-04 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, richard.campbell; +Cc: bug-ddd

> >  printf("xmUseVersion=%d XmVersion=%d\n",
> >         xmUseVersion, XmVersion);
> >  return 0;
> >}
> >>gcc -Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include Xmcheck.c -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm
> >>./a.out
> >xmUseVersion=2002 XmVersion=2002
> >
> >If it gives different numbers, there is a good chance that your lesstif
> >library won't work properly.
>
> bash-2.05b$ gcc -Wall -I/usr/X11R6/include Xmcheck.c -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXm
> Info: resolving _xmUseVersion by linking to __imp__xmUseVersion
> (auto-import)
> bash-2.05b$ ./a.exe
> xmUseVersion=2001 XmVersion=2001
>
> Same numbers.

That's progress. Could you try to perform the link using the same commands
as ddd ?
You posted:
g++ -DNDEBUG -O2 -g -W -Wall -trigraphs -o ddd.exe ddd.o basename.o
compare.o cook.o cwd.o glob.o
<snip many more *.o files>
UndoBuffer.o UndoBE.o WhatNextCB.o configinfo.o  -L/usr/X11R6/lib
.libs/libimp-cygXm-2.a -lXft -lXrender .libs/libimp-cygfontconfig-1.a
.libs/libimp-cygfreetype-6.a -lz .libs/libimp-cygexpat-0.a -lXaw -lXmu -lXt
-lXpm -lXp -lXext -lX11 -lSM -lICE -lncurses -ly ../libiberty/libiberty.a
-Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/X11R6/lib

@ 2003-12-04 10:19     ` Arnaud Desitter
From: Arnaud Desitter @ 2003-12-04 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, subbuk; +Cc: bug-ddd

Hi,