From: Jack <ostroffjh@sbcglobal.net>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: xfig: Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2013 00:27:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 2013.02.04 10:26, Jon TURNEY wrote:
> On 04/02/2013 00:11, Andy wrote:
> > When I start xfig, I get the following:
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
> >    ^GCan't open compose key file '/usr/lib/xfig/CompKeyDB',
> >       no multi-key sequences available
> Yes, this error message from libX11 is pretty bad, and should tell
> you the charsets that are missing.
>
> If I recall correctly, this warning is usually caused when you are
> using an UTF-8 locale (like the default C.UTF-8 locale), because when
> making the fontset, libX11 searches for matching fonts with all the
> encodings it knows about, and there are no matching fonts with CJK
> encodings (as no CJK fonts are installed).
>
> Installing the fonts font-isas-misc, font-jis-misc and
> font-daewoo-misc should work around the problem.
>
> You could also use a non-UTF-8 locale, but I wouldn't recommend that.

I'm getting the same three warnings, followed by
Warning: Cannot convert string
"-*-times-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-bold-r-normal--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*,-*-*-*-r-*--16-*-*-*-*-*-*-*"
to type FontSet
but not the compose key message.

I already have those three fonts installed, and my locale is
en_US.UTF-8.

I see some similar issues in the past in the list archive, including an
unanswered post from Yaakov 17 Dec 2009 which looks exactly like this
question.

I've also seen posts suggsting other fonts or packages - none of which
I see on cygwin, so I don't know if they're not available or just named
differently.  (Examples include gsfonts-x11, xfonts-base,
xfonts-encodings, xfonts-scalable)

Any other troubleshooting you can suggest?

Jack