From: Deryl Steinert <dus@ornl.gov>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: text fields in app don't allow input when running Cygwin X
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 14:02:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I am seeing this same issue with running a Java 7 app through the Cygwin
xserver in multiwindowed mode (startxwin).

Once a Java window loses keyboard focus I can't get it to regain focus for
keyboard events.
Basically all keyboard input to a window must be completed without the
window losing focus or the
window will appear to hang. At least my users are seeing it as a hang even
though the app is still
responsive to other interaction (buttons, menus, etc). Just not keyboard
input. New Java windows that
are opened do have keyboard input focus until that window loses focus.

As KM states it all works fine when running the Cygwin xserver in windowed
mode (startx rather than startxwin).

A possible explanation is that the Focus model has changed in Java 7.
See section "2.7.2 Communication With Native Focus System" from the
following link;

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/webnotes/tsg/TSG-Desktop/html/awt.html

So, is this a bug in Cygwin, Java 7 or our apps?

Thank you for any insight.