I have run Cygwin on multiple versions of Windows including recently on Windows XP and don't think I ever had this problem. Resizing or specifying a geometry always resulted in the exact number of columns requested, with increments of 1 column being available when dragging the borders of a window to resize. Now, after upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit, I cannot get the window to have 80 columns on resize. It jumps in increments of two or three, depending on the number of columns prior to resizing. For example: $ tput cols 66 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 69 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 71 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 73 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 75 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 77 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 79 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 82 xx50283@PP75W9D0R1 ~ $ tput cols 84 Each one of those was queried after dragging the right-hand edge of the window by the smallest it would change. I don't know if it is related, but there is also several pixels (I would say around 20) gap between the window manager border decoration and the parts of the display presented by xterm. I did alter from the default Windows config for the desktop, because I don't want the large default borders. I set "Border Padding" to have a value of zero. Should I be able to resize by increments of one column? I have attached cygcheck output as requested in problem reporting guidelines, and also /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log files. Thanks for any help. Linus