From: Yaakov Selkowitz <yselkowitz@cygwin.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: packages rebuilt for libpng16, tiff-4
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2015 00:39:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 18:12 -0500, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 2/8/2015 9:56 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
> > * fontconfig-2.11.1-2
>
> I see that you decided not to restore the TeX Live font directories to
> /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.  If that's your actual decision, and not just an
> oversight,

It was an oversight; thanks for the reminder.  As for a decision:

AFAICS these fonts aren't intended for general usage (e.g. within X), so
I've tried to understand how fontconfig should be used within TeX Live.
In Fedora, for instance, the texlive font directories are not in
fonts.conf:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/fontconfig.git/tree/fontconfig.spec#n66

and the texlive package doesn't include any references to conf.d or
conf.avail:

http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/texlive.git/tree/texlive.spec

However, Arch Linux's documentation actually addresses this clearly:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TeX_Live#Fonts

and suggests a solution similar to yours by providing the file in
conf.avail without automatically creating the symlink.

The TeX Live manual further suggests that such a file may already
included in xetex:

https://www.tug.org/texlive/doc/texlive-en/texlive-en.html#x1-350003.4.4

But I don't see such a file on my system, nor is it mentioned in
Fedora's texlive.spec.  Besides the location, though, the solution is
the same.

>  then I guess one of the TeX Live packages should add a
> suitable file to /usr/share/fontconfig/conf.avail, with a link to it in
> /etc/fonts/conf.d.  Or I could just add the file directly to
> /etc/fonts/conf.d and skip the symlink, whichever you prefer.  The
> contents would be
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
> <fontconfig>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
>    <dir>/usr/share/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
> </fontconfig>
>
> and I would call it 09-texlive.conf, as suggested in the TeX Live manual.
>
> Is this how you want me to handle it?

Based on the above, and various mailing list discussions on the topic, I
think we should provide that file but NOT the symlink, and document this
in an appropriate place.

--
Yaakov