* RE: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-07  1:06 Orrigo, Giampaolo .
From: Orrigo, Giampaolo . @ 2003-12-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Here another one:

QVTNet 5.1.2 (QPC Software, www.qpc.com) ships with cygwin1.dll version
1.3.5 and with cygz.dll

@ 2003-12-07  1:10 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-07  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 08:07:35PM -0500, Orrigo, Giampaolo . wrote:
>Here another one:
>
>QVTNet 5.1.2 (QPC Software, www.qpc.com) ships with cygwin1.dll version
>1.3.5 and with cygz.dll

And no source...?

cgf

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-09 16:15   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-09 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 08:22:21PM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>On Tuesday 09 December 2003 19:33, Martin Schmid wrote:
>>The Windows XP explorer really seems to have a problem finding files
>>:-(
>
>That has been my experience, and it seems, the experience of a number
>of others on the list.

It's odd that this is the very first time I've heard that XP find doesn't
find files in system directories.  I guess that's one for the FAQ.

cgf

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-09  9:21 ` Rasjid Wilcox
From: Rasjid Wilcox @ 2003-12-09  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 19:33, Martin Schmid wrote:
> The Windows XP explorer really seems to have a problem finding files :-(

That has been my experience, and it seems, the experience of a number of
others on the list.

No doubt there is a magic combinaiton of 'tick this box' and 'untick that
box', and it will all work fine.  And people that already have that magic
combination will not see any problems.

Personally, I liked Jack Tanners:

dir cygwin1.dll /s /a /b

solution.  Seems guaranteed to work regardless of what options are ticked or
otherwise.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--
Rasjid Wilcox
Canberra, Australia (UTC +10 hrs)

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-09  8:33 Martin Schmid
From: Martin Schmid @ 2003-12-09  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello Rasjid

Thanks for your tip which was not daft at all, since cygwin was actually
running, I just couldn't start xfree from the cygwin shell.
In fact, the cygwin find utility did find another copy of cygwin1.dll in the
c:\windows folder, and deleting this file did solve the problem. Before
deleting it, I repeated trying to find this file with the Windows XP Explorer.
The first try was searching in C:, which failed to find c:\windows\cygwin1.dll
but found C:\cygwin\cygwin1.dll (sic!), then I tried searching in C:\windows
(without changing anything else), and this time c:\windows\cygwin1.dll was
found.
The Windows XP explorer really seems to have a problem finding files :-(

Cheers, Martin

@ 2003-12-07 23:23                   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-07 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 05:31:57PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>The overall point to be taken home here is that you can't trust the
>>search facility in XP unless you are prepared to ask people if they have
>>done things in a very specific way *and* you are prepared to trust their
>>response to those questions.  It ends up being a huge waste of time when
>>you could instead run a command-line search and be done with it.
>

> I'm pretty certain that using the search facility in XP for the purpose
> of searching for duplicate cygwin1.dll's should work just fine.

Again, it might work in this case.  But, I'm talking about reasons for
using a different approach that works in all cases.  It really doesn't
matter though.

> Using cygwin's command-line search in a scenario where cygwin doesn't
> work is obviously not going to work and using dir/s is rather laborious
> and error-prone if you have multiple drives.

I guess.

> In the many years of advising people to use GUI utility, I've never
> heard anyone say that they failed to find what they were looking for
> with this method.

Well, many years of prior experience doesn't really matter since I am
complaining about the broken search functionality in XP, which isn't
many years old :)  Search did work fine in Windows until XP, but now it
has a lot of caveats, and I am not good at remembering caveats.

Harold

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-07 23:11                 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-12-07 22:32               ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-07 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jack Tanner wrote:
> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>> It works fine in Windows 2000, but they broke it horribly in Windows
>> XP when they "extended" it to ignore certain directories and types of
>> files.  You have to jump through all sorts of hoops and enable the
>> indexing service in order to get it to search all files in XP.  So,
>> the results of the utility cannot be trusted in XP.
>

> What's wrong with Start, Search, All files and folders, Look in Local
> Hard Drives? I just tested it on XP SP1, it worked well. Doesn't it get
> around what you describe if you click "All files and folders" instead of
> "Pictures, music, or video" or "Documents"?

Nope, doesn't work, at least not in the cases that I use the most, but
might not be entirely relevant to the discussion at hand.  The case I am
referring to is when you are searching for text in a file, which is a
little different than what we are talking about here.  In that case, you
have to configure the indexing service specially and turn it on in order
to be able to search through .c and .h files (and all the other files a
programmer would use) without having Visual Studio .NET installed (which
I think installs handlers that allow some of these file types to be
searched.

@ 2003-12-07 21:26             ` Jack Tanner
From: Jack Tanner @ 2003-12-07 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> It works fine in Windows 2000, but they broke it horribly in Windows XP
> when they "extended" it to ignore certain directories and types of
> files.  You have to jump through all sorts of hoops and enable the
> indexing service in order to get it to search all files in XP.  So, the
> results of the utility cannot be trusted in XP.

What's wrong with Start, Search, All files and folders, Look in Local
Hard Drives? I just tested it on XP SP1, it worked well. Doesn't it get
around what you describe if you click "All files and folders" instead of
"Pictures, music, or video" or "Documents"?

-JT

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-07 20:58           ` Jack Tanner
From: Jack Tanner @ 2003-12-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> What's wrong with using the Windows Find/Search utility?

Nothing; it's capable of the same thing, but you have to explicitly turn
on "Show hidden and system files" in Folder Options (in case the dll is
on the drive, but hidden from view because of attributes). In another
sense, the Windows Search utility is actually better because you can
search multiple drives at once, whereas with the CLI, you have to repeat
the dir command for every drive.

>>Off topic: I just tried that on my machine and I found that CDRDAO ships
>>a cygwin1.dll with their Windows build (I have version 1.1.7). If
>>someone is in the habit of slapping wrists for that sort of thing,
>>there's your cue.
>
> I need a better cue than that.  Where did you get the binary?

http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/ is the main site;
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cdrdao/ is the download page where 1.1.7
is available. The main developer is Andreas Mueller (andreasm at
users.sourceforge.net), but since it's a SourceForge-hosted project,
they have a bug db available through the site.

Best,
JT

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-07 20:46           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-12-07 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-12-07  0:59         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-07  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-12-07  0:24       ` Jack Tanner
From: Jack Tanner @ 2003-12-07  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2003-12-06 23:32     ` Rasjid Wilcox
From: Rasjid Wilcox @ 2003-12-06 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Martin Schmid

@ 2003-12-06  0:48     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-06  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, Dec 06, 2003 at 11:02:51AM +1100, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
>On Saturday 06 December 2003 01:58, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:37:19AM +0100, Martin Schmid wrote:
>>>I do trust the wisdom of the archives, that's why I checked my whole
>>>hard disk for any other copy of cygwin1.dll, and why I rebooted three
>>>times before posting the message.
>>
>>That would have been an interesting thing to mention in your first
>>problem report.
>>
>>>There definitely must be another reason for the problem.  Any
>>>suggestion?
>>
>>There are no other reasons for the problem.
>
>I am probably displaying my complete ignorance of dll's here, but is it
>possible for this problem to occur even if the second 'cygwin1.dll' as
>been named something different?

No.

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-06  0:01   ` Rasjid Wilcox
From: Rasjid Wilcox @ 2003-12-06  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Saturday 06 December 2003 01:58, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:37:19AM +0100, Martin Schmid wrote:
> >I do trust the wisdom of the archives, that's why I checked my whole
> >hard disk for any other copy of cygwin1.dll, and why I rebooted three
> >times before posting the message.
>
> That would have been an interesting thing to mention in your first
> problem report.
>
> >There definitely must be another reason for the problem.  Any
> >suggestion?
>
> There are no other reasons for the problem.

I am probably displaying my complete ignorance of dll's here, but is it
possible for this problem to occur even if the second 'cygwin1.dll' as been
named something different?

Also, Martin, I assume that you used the Windows Find Files search funciton.
Have you tried using the cygwin find utility instead?  I have on occasions
found the Windows find files search function to skip whole directories for no
apparent reason.

Cheers,

Rasjid.

--

@ 2003-12-05 14:58 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-05 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 11:37:19AM +0100, Martin Schmid wrote:
>I do trust the wisdom of the archives, that's why I checked my whole
>hard disk for any other copy of cygwin1.dll, and why I rebooted three
>times before posting the message.

That would have been an interesting thing to mention in your first
problem report.

>There definitely must be another reason for the problem.  Any
>suggestion?

There are no other reasons for the problem.

Possibly following the guidelines at: http://cygwin.com/problems.html
will provide a clue.

cgf

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-05 10:37 Martin Schmid
From: Martin Schmid @ 2003-12-05 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello all

Thanks, Christopher, for your answer

I do trust the wisdom of the archives, that's why I checked my whole hard
disk for any other copy of cygwin1.dll, and why I rebooted three times before
posting the message.
There definitely must be another reason for the problem.
Any suggestion?

Martin

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:23:38PM +0100, Martin Schmid wrote:
>Hello
>
>I try running xfree/cygwin on a PC with Windows XP. When I try to start
>xfree either directly from the windows explorer with startxwin.bat or from
>cygwin bash or csh shell with startxwin.sh, I always get the error:
>
>The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
>link library cygwin1.dll
>
>I have made a search in previous messages and they most of them suggest
that
>similar errors are usually caused by having several versions of cygwin1.dll
>or an outdated version of this file. However I have only one version of
>cygwin1.dll on my hard disk, the one that came with cygwin 1.5.5-1 which is
>dated
>to 20.09.03 You should trust the wisdom of the archives.  You either have
two versions
of the DLL around, or you need to reboot.  There are no other reasons for
this problem.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org

* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-04 15:46   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2003-12-04 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

       [not found] <5012.1070538696@www47.gmx.net>
@ 2003-12-04 12:23 ` Martin Schmid
From: Martin Schmid @ 2003-12-04 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello

I try running xfree/cygwin on a PC with Windows XP. When I try to start
xfree either directly from the windows explorer with startxwin.bat or from a
cygwin bash or csh shell with startxwin.sh, I always get the error:

The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
link library cygwin1.dll

I have made a search in previous messages and they most of them suggest that
similar errors are usually caused by having several versions of cygwin1.dll
or an outdated version of this file. However I have only one version of
cygwin1.dll on my hard disk, the one that came with cygwin 1.5.5-1 which is
dated
to 20.09.03

Has anyone another suggestion for the cause of the problem?

Thanks, Martin