* Re: Error: procedure entry point in cygwin1.dll
@ 2003-12-09  8:33 Martin Schmid
From: Martin Schmid @ 2003-12-09  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello Rasjid

Thanks for your tip which was not daft at all, since cygwin was actually
running, I just couldn't start xfree from the cygwin shell.
In fact, the cygwin find utility did find another copy of cygwin1.dll in the
c:\windows folder, and deleting this file did solve the problem. Before
deleting it, I repeated trying to find this file with the Windows XP Explorer.
The first try was searching in C:, which failed to find c:\windows\cygwin1.dll
but found C:\cygwin\cygwin1.dll (sic!), then I tried searching in C:\windows
(without changing anything else), and this time c:\windows\cygwin1.dll was
found.
The Windows XP explorer really seems to have a problem finding files :-(

Cheers, Martin

@ 2003-12-07  1:06 Orrigo, Giampaolo .
From: Orrigo, Giampaolo . @ 2003-12-07  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Here another one:

QVTNet 5.1.2 (QPC Software, www.qpc.com) ships with cygwin1.dll version
1.3.5 and with cygz.dll

@ 2003-12-05 10:37 Martin Schmid
From: Martin Schmid @ 2003-12-05 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello all

Thanks, Christopher, for your answer

I do trust the wisdom of the archives, that's why I checked my whole hard
disk for any other copy of cygwin1.dll, and why I rebooted three times before
posting the message.
There definitely must be another reason for the problem.
Any suggestion?

Martin

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 01:23:38PM +0100, Martin Schmid wrote:
>Hello
>
>I try running xfree/cygwin on a PC with Windows XP. When I try to start
>xfree either directly from the windows explorer with startxwin.bat or from
>cygwin bash or csh shell with startxwin.sh, I always get the error:
>
>The procedure entry point __getreent could not be located in the dynamic
>link library cygwin1.dll
>
>I have made a search in previous messages and they most of them suggest
that
>similar errors are usually caused by having several versions of cygwin1.dll
>or an outdated version of this file. However I have only one version of
>cygwin1.dll on my hard disk, the one that came with cygwin 1.5.5-1 which is
>dated
>to 20.09.03 You should trust the wisdom of the archives.  You either have
two versions
of the DLL around, or you need to reboot.  There are no other reasons for
this problem.
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org