* Re: Exclusive window manager for -multiwindow
@ 2004-02-22 22:15 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-02-22 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Takuma,

> I have committed a change for -multiwindow window manager
> to the xorg tree.  Now the wm should be able to detect
> another wm and the others can detect it.  This change
> corresponds to the second item (Window manager detection)
> in the To-Do list.
>
> To do so the internal wm grabs ButtonPressMask, which is
> allowed only one client at once.  Thus other wm's will fail
> to obtain the mask and immediately exit when invoked.
>
> Takuma Murakami

I am taking this item off the To Do list.  Thanks so much for fixing it.
  I tested your fix and it works fine with twm.  Doing a 'startkde' on a
remote box does not fail like twm does... it still works and has weird
behavior.  I wonder if there is something else that we need to do to
work with modern window managers?  In any case, your fix is better than
what we had before.  :)

Harold

* Re: Exclusive window manager for -multiwindow
@ 2004-02-25 10:14 ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-02-25 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

>   I tested your fix and it works fine with twm.  Doing a 'startkde' on a
> remote box does not fail like twm does... it still works and has weird
> behavior.  I wonder if there is something else that we need to do to
> work with modern window managers?  In any case, your fix is better than
> what we had before.  :)

Yes, it works only for twm and those who inherit twm's code
(e.g. wmaker).  The default window manager for KDE, kwin, uses
SubstructureRedirectMask for wm detection.  However we cannot
do just grabbing the mask, unlike ButtonPressMask for twm.
For the mask it is necessary to properly handle three requests
dispatched by the mask in winMultiWindowXMsgProc.

It may or not may be a little work, but what I'm really afraid
of is that win32rootless combined with XWinWM could have
already implemented it, though I don't know.  I must avoid
to make things duplicate.

Takuma Murakami

* Re: Exclusive window manager for -multiwindow
@ 2004-02-12 12:34   ` Takuma Murakami
From: Takuma Murakami @ 2004-02-12 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

> Excellent.  I wonder why the commit did not generate an email to the
> xorg-commit list.  I'll try to get this into my local branch soon and
> make a new release.

I'm wondering, too.  I saw a message like
mailing to someone@suse....
when committed.  I believe there was the string 'suse'
though the account name is uncertain.  Shall I report
to the xorg mailing list?

Takuma Murakami

* Re: Exclusive window manager for -multiwindow
@ 2004-02-11 20:30 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-02-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Takuma,