* Re: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-06  8:30 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-06  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> I would like to launch an xterm terminal using "Monospace" font.
>> Monospace is the font used by default by gvim.
>> I tried:
>> xterm -fn "Monospace"

> xterm -fa "Monospace"

> is perhaps what you meant.

Thank you for your quick answer.
xterm -fa "Monospace"
gives no error message but open xterm with the same font (which is not
Monospace) as:
xterm

If you try
xterm -fa "foobar"
you also get the same result, for any "foobar" string.

Best regards.

Jean Johner

* Re: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-06  8:34 ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2010-08-06  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>>> I would like to launch an xterm terminal using "Monospace" font.
>>> Monospace is the font used by default by gvim.
>>> I tried:
>>> xterm -fn "Monospace"
>
>> xterm -fa "Monospace"
>
>> is perhaps what you meant.
>
> Thank you for your quick answer.
> xterm -fa "Monospace"
> gives no error message but open xterm with the same font (which is not
> Monospace) as:
> xterm

yes (one of the features of Xft is that it provides no error messages,
but simply uses the default font if there's any problem...)

> If you try
> xterm -fa "foobar"
> you also get the same result, for any "foobar" string.

That sounds as if the strings you're giving don't match the available
font family names.  If you have "fc-list", it can give a list of names.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* RE: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-10  8:41 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-10  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Brian Timares wrote:
>Jean,

>I think this is what you want.  I have:
>XTerm*font: -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*
>in my .Xdefaults

>Other than colors, here is my .Xdefaults (in my home directory, natch):
>XTerm*scrollBar: on
>XTerm*saveLines: 99999
>XTerm*font: -*-courier-medium-r-*-*-*-140-*-*-*-*-*-*
>XTerm*visualBell: true
>XTerm*titeInhibit: true
>urxvt*secondaryScreen: false

>The most important part is the XTerm*titeInhibit: true, it is beyond me
>why that isn't the default everywhere (it prevents a screen clear when
>you're, say, done reading a man page).  I want to get rid of the title
>bar but haven't explored that as I launch most of my xterms from a
>script. Extract:

>nohup xterm -name $h -title $h -ls -mc none +tb +mb -vb -sb -sl 99999
>-background grey95 -fg black -cr black -ms black -font
>"-*-lucidatypewriter-medium-*-*-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-*" -e ssh -Yq root@$h
>/dev/null & 2>&1

>Naturally $h is the server :)

>To get the fonts I launched xfontsel and went through it and
>experimented.  Use the 'select' button to put the string into the
>buffer.

>Brian

Thank you, Brian.
It seems that full XLFD font name was necessary.
Best regards.
Jean Johner

* RE: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-06 16:17   ` Timares, Brian (HP)
From: Timares, Brian (HP) @ 2010-08-06 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I wrote:
>I want to get rid of the title
>bar

Sorry, make that "Toolbar".

Brian

* RE: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-06 16:10 ` Timares, Brian (HP)
From: Timares, Brian (HP) @ 2010-08-06 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

JOHNER Jean wrote:
>Has anybody been able to launch xterm with a font (any is welcome)
which

@ 2010-08-06  9:41 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-06  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Thomas Dickey wrote:
>> If you try
>> xterm -fa "foobar"
>> you also get the same result, for any "foobar" string.
>
> That sounds as if the strings you're giving don't match the available
> font family names.  If you have "fc-list", it can give a list of
names.

fc-list results in many fonts being listed but no Monospace!
"Times" is in the list. I tried:
xterm -fn "Times"
xterm -fn "Times-12"
xterm -fa "Times"
xterm -fa "Times-12"

Always the same result with the same default font.

Has anybody been able to launch xterm with a font (any is welcome) which
is not the default?

That would give a track before going in the details of unix fonts
literature.

Thank you for your help.

Jean Johner

* Re: How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-05 22:32 ` Thomas Dickey
From: Thomas Dickey @ 2010-08-05 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, 5 Aug 2010, JOHNER Jean 066030 wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to launch an xterm terminal using "Monospace" font.
> Monospace is the font used by default by gvim.
> I tried:
> xterm -fn "Monospace"
   xterm -fa "Monospace"

is perhaps what you meant.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net

* How to launch an xterm using "Monospace" font
@ 2010-08-05 20:57 JOHNER Jean 066030
From: JOHNER Jean 066030 @ 2010-08-05 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hello,

I would like to launch an xterm terminal using "Monospace" font.
Monospace is the font used by default by gvim.
I tried:
xterm -fn "Monospace"
which gives an error message.

Thank you for your help.