From: Ekkard Gerlach <egerlach@aiai.de>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: is latest 1.7.9-1 alpha status? Bugs, files missing, ..?
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 22:25:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hi,

i just installed latest 1.7.9-1 with setup.exe programm in WinXP Prof.
I configured nothing so far. I ran startx -- -multiwindow -clipboard
and it works, great!

To enable shared memory (MIT-SHM) I ran

Anmeld@AAnmeldung ~ cygserver-config
/usr/bin/cygserver-config: line 6: $'\r': command not found
/usr/bin/cygserver-config: line 10: $'\r': command not found
/usr/bin/cygserver-config: line 13: $'\r': command not found
/usr/bin/cygserver-config: line 14: syntax error near unexpected token `$'\r''
'usr/bin/cygserver-config: line 14: `request()

There seem to be DOS carriage returns in it.

A little bug in 1.7.9-1 ?

# cat cygserver-config | head -n 20
#!/bin/bash
#
# cygserver-config, Copyright 2003 Red Hat Inc.
#
# This file is part of the Cygwin DLL.

# Directory where the config files are stored
SYSCONFDIR=/etc
LOCALSTATEDIR=/var

progname=$0
auto_answer=""

request()
{
  if [ "${auto_answer}" = "yes" ]
  then
    echo "$1 (yes/no) yes"
    return 0
  elif [ "${auto_answer}" = "no" ]

okay, i run dos2unix cygserver-config  on my linux machine (lenny).
I copied cygserver-config back and it was running a little bit.
I asked me whether I want to run cygserver as service, I answered
"yes" the the script prompts: "line 176: cygrunsrv not existing"
And indeed, cygrunsrv is not delivered in my installtion.

Is 1.7.9-1 alpha status? - Why is this version advised for
download and install?

Where can I get a running version? How can I delete the installed
version? - Deleting c:\cygwin directory?

thx
Ekkard