From: Ekkard Gerlach <egerlach@aiai.de>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: how to enable shared memory?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 02:43:00 -0000	[thread overview]

I found some stuff on my own:

searching "missing cygrunsrv" with google leaded me to a
not installed package cygrunsrv. I started setup.exe again,
selected the Admin -> cygrunsrv and installed the package.

Now cygserver-config runs, asked me whether to start cygserver
as service. I don't know why, I want to enabel shared memory only.
The skript telled me to have generated /etc/cygserver.conf.
I lookes at it: lots of options concerning shared mem. But
I don't understand ..

I uncommented some shared and shm stuff:

kern.srv.sharedmem yes

kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs 8192
kern.ipc.shmmni 192
kern.ipc.shmseg 128

After I stared cygwin again with startx -- -multiwindow  ,
I typed "xhost +" so that kuickshow from a linux-Server
can be displayed. But kuickshow png and jpg rest black.

The script cygserver-config  proposed me to start cygserver
as service. The cygserver within den cygserver as service??
I don't understand. But I did so:

net start cygserver
or
cygrunsrv -S cygserver

was proposed, I took net start cygserver  within a cygwin terminal.
I got success messages. What is now better than before?

I started kuickshow from linux server again. But png and jpg
are still displayed black.

Is shared memory enabled now? How can I detect settings?
What have I to do to enabled shared memory?

thx!
Ekkard