* X doesn't start for user without admin rights
@ 2011-03-05 14:07 Paul Maier
From: Paul Maier @ 2011-03-05 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

X starts fine under a user with local administrator rights.
When logged in to the same machine with another user that has no admin rights,
X won't start.

The log indicates that another X were already running, but it's not.

Output on the console is:

giving up.
/bin3/startxwin:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
/bin3/startxwin:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.

Log attached.

Thanks for help!

Regards,
  Paul

[-- Attachment #2: XWin.0.log --]

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 1.9.0.0 (10900000)
Build Date: 2010-10-12

Contact: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
XWin was started with the following command line:

/bin/XWin :0 -emulate3buttons 100 -logverbose 3 -multiwindow

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
_XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
_XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/<PCNAME>:0
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
_XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed
_XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: server already running

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't already running

* Re: X doesn't start for user without admin rights
@ 2011-03-05 18:02 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2011-03-05 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: Paul Maier

On 05/03/2011 14:07, Paul Maier wrote:
> X starts fine under a user with local administrator rights.
> When logged in to the same machine with another user that has no admin rights,
> X won't start.
>
> The log indicates that another X were already running, but it's not.
>
> Output on the console is:
>
> giving up.
> /bin3/startxwin:  Connection refused (errno 111):  unable to connect to X server
> /bin3/startxwin:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
>

> Log attached.

> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/<PCNAME>:0
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
> _XSERVTransSocketUNIXCreateListener: ...SocketCreateListener() failed

Assuming you don't have IPv6 installed, this last line should be the
significant error here.

You should check if /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 exists and is owned by an administrator
(this unix socket should be removed when the X server exits) and that the
directory is writeable by the user you are attempting to run the X server with.

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer

* AW: X doesn't start for user without admin rights
@ 2011-03-05 19:20   ` Paul Maier
From: Paul Maier @ 2011-03-05 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi Jon,

great help, yes the problem is related to /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 and /tmp/.X0-lock.
When these files are not present, the underpriviledged user can start X fine.
The situation is now as follows:

SCENARIO 1:
Log in as administrator. Start X.
Reboot PC and log in as normal user.
-> The files are present.
=> The normal user can't start X.

SCENARIO 2:
Log in as administrator. Start X.
Manually shut down X by double-clicking on the X-icon in the taskbar (near the clock).
Reboot PC and log in as normal user.
-> The files are not present.
=> The normal user can start X.

It seems that on reboot of the PC, X doesn't shut down properly, and instead just gets killed.

I played around with the access rights of the /tmp dir: I gave everybody (world) full rights.
But that doesn't help because the files get their own ACL when they are (re)created.

So currently the administrator is required to not forget to manually shut down his X server,
otherwise normal users can't start X.

Cygwin and Cygwin/X are great products, BTW.

With kind regards,
  Paul.