From: Rasputin Paskudniak <rpaskudniak@yahoo.com>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: startxwin opens an xwindow, then complains and dies
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 02:28:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Greetings after a long absence. (Anyone miss me?  Don't answer that.. :-)  )

I have installed Cygwin on my new-ish Windows-7 box.  I recall you could not
simple start running xterm, you have to start the X-Windows subsystem.
Under XP it was something like xtgart.bat or startx.bat. Now, if I have read
the on-line doc correctly, I need to run startxwin.  I try to and here;s
what I get:

1. It displays a warning message:
    Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
2. A small x-window opens.  At least this is consistent with the previous
startx (or whatever).
   And equally annoying, but not that bad.
3. The small x-window suddenly closes.
4. Error message:
    xterm:  fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) or
KillClient on X server ":0.0"

Now, if I try it again, I get an additional couple of lines before the fatal
xterm error:
  1 [main] xterm 7800 exception::handle: Exception: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
684 [main] xterm 7800 open_stackdumpfile: Dumping stack trace to
xterm.exe.stackdump

OK, what have I left out of the Cygwin installation?  I did download a
****load of fonts when I first saw this error but that was obviously not the
problem because the identical warning crops up..

My search has found many similar questions but none quite on this point.

BTW, after doing all the above I tried running startx again.  It opens a
big, black background, like a windows manager, opens 3 bash windows, ad
complains about not finding some utilities (twm, xclock) which I will simply
download and worry about it later.  But for now: What's the story with
startxwin.

Clues?  Spoon-fed answers?

Thanks much!

Rasputin Paskudniak

-----
+- May be depriving a village somewhere of its idiot by being here.:-p -+