* freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-10-27 19:52 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Would someone here care to set us up an IRC channel on irc.freenode.net?
  I think 'cygwinx' would be an appropriate name.

We could have some development discussions there as well as answering
questions from users.  I think it would be a beneficial format.

With that being said, I don't op IRC channels, so someone else could
probably do a much better job setting this up than I could.

Any volunteers?  I'd like to get it setup within the next few hours, if
possible.

Harold

* Re: freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-10-27 20:03 ` Jay Smith
From: Jay Smith @ 2003-10-27 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,

I hope you are not suggesting that this entire newsgroup/list would move to
IRC.

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com  mailto:Jay@JaySmith.com
website: http://www.JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991
Toll-Free Phone in US & Canada:
	1-800-447-8267
Fax: Int+US+336-376-6750

* Re: freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-10-27 20:11   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Of course not, don't be silly.

This is something that we could do in addition to this mailing list.

I like the format of IRC and I think I could answer questions more
quickly there.  I also think that some development discussions would be
better off in IRC.  It is something I want to try, that is all.

Harold

@ 2003-10-27 20:36 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2003-10-27 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Would someone here care to set us up an IRC channel on
> irc.freenode.net? I think 'cygwinx' would be an appropriate
> name.

Any particular reason to create it on irc.freenode.net instead
of irc.oftc.net ?

I don't use IRC that often anymore, don't know if anything
changed since then, but would read
http://slashdot.org/articles/02/08/17/2147232.shtml before
considering having a channel on freenode. I recall the
#kernelnewbies move.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-10-27 21:19     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-10-27 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> I like the format of IRC and I think I could answer questions more
> quickly there.  I also think that some development discussions would be
> better off in IRC.  It is something I want to try, that is all.

Discussing in the messaging systems (irc or icq) is sometimes more productive
than via email. Especially when trying new ideas or debugging strange errors.

I like the idea of setting up the channel. But the where and how should be
discussed by the people who are more comfortable with this topic than I am.

bye
    ago
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-10-27 21:20   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Frédéric,

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> Any particular reason to create it on irc.freenode.net instead
> of irc.oftc.net ?

Three other channels that I monitor are on irc.freenode.net... in
particular, the freedesktop.org folks are there and I see us working
closely with them.

> I don't use IRC that often anymore, don't know if anything
> changed since then, but would read
> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/08/17/2147232.shtml before
> considering having a channel on freenode. I recall the
> #kernelnewbies move.

I think we will be okay.  There are still lots of very high profile
projects on freenode.net.

@ 2003-11-01 22:39       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-01 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

> Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>I like the format of IRC and I think I could answer questions more
>>quickly there.  I also think that some development discussions would be
>>better off in IRC.  It is something I want to try, that is all.
>

> Discussing in the messaging systems (irc or icq) is sometimes more productive
> than via email. Especially when trying new ideas or debugging strange errors.

I agree.  IRC will help us to be more productive.

> I like the idea of setting up the channel. But the where and how should be
> discussed by the people who are more comfortable with this topic than I am.

Hmm... bummer... I was hoping that someone would have some knowledge
about setting up a channel on freenode.net.  I'm not having a lot of
luck figuring out how they do it.  The documentation they have tells how
you should operate your channel, but it doesn't tell you if the channels
have to registered/reserved and doesn't tell you how to go about doing
that if that is the case.

I don't want to pester the freedesktop.org folks asking them too many
questions about IRC...

@ 2003-11-01 23:13         ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2003-11-01 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> I don't want to pester the freedesktop.org folks asking them
> too many questions about IRC...

I may be able to help you. I'm fredlwm.

But first do a
/msg chanserv help
/msg chanserv help register

:-)

I don't even know if your nickname is registered. If it isn't,
do a
/msg nickserv help
/msg nickserv help register

/msg nickserv register password is enough.

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: freenode.net - IRC channel for the project?
@ 2003-11-01 23:56           ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-01 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Frédéric,