* RE: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-28 18:30 Armbrust, Daniel C.
From: Armbrust, Daniel C. @ 2003-10-28 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com'

Harold,

I have been lurking on this list for a while now.  I don't know much about XFree86, or the politics, or any history.  But I read the threads that led up to your decision.  I applaud you.  You asked for something completely reasonable, and (pardon the language) David Dawes came off as a complete jackass.

I have worked with Jakarta Ant, the Eclipse Project, and Jakarta Lucene to varying degrees.  And I have never seen someone on any of those mailing lists get treated like you were.  And, as an example of a well functioning open source project, when someone new came to lucene, he turned in some quality patches over the course of about a month.  About the equivalent to what I see you commit on this mailing list in a week.  And they made him a full fledged committer.  No problems, no insults, no lie detector tests.  They voted, and it was done.

That it how it is supposed to work.

The XFree86 organization looks like it is being run by a bunch of power hungry fools.

Thanks for all of your time and work,

Dan

* Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-28 18:41 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-28 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Daniel,

Armbrust, Daniel C. wrote:

> Harold,
>
> I have been lurking on this list for a while now.  I don't know much about XFree86, or the politics, or any history.  But I read the threads that led up to your decision.  I applaud you.  You asked for something completely reasonable, and (pardon the language) David Dawes came off as a complete jackass.
>
> I have worked with Jakarta Ant, the Eclipse Project, and Jakarta Lucene to varying degrees.  And I have never seen someone on any of those mailing lists get treated like you were.  And, as an example of a well functioning open source project, when someone new came to lucene, he turned in some quality patches over the course of about a month.  About the equivalent to what I see you commit on this mailing list in a week.  And they made him a full fledged committer.  No problems, no insults, no lie detector tests.  They voted, and it was done.
>
> That it how it is supposed to work.
>
> The XFree86 organization looks like it is being run by a bunch of power hungry fools.
>
> Thanks for all of your time and work,

No problem.  I enjoy it.

Thanks for your support.

Harold

* Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-28 22:31     ` Jason Dufair
From: Jason Dufair @ 2003-10-28 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I'll also chime in as a lurker to say that you have kicked some major
ass for us Cygwin/XFree86 users, Harold, and I think you've been nothing
but helpful and responsive on the list.  I think your plea on the
XFree86 list was reasonable.  Good luck as you explore other options.

--
Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/

* Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-28 16:30   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-28 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: eich

Egbert,

@ 2003-10-28 13:42 ` Egbert Eich
From: Egbert Eich @ 2003-10-28 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harold L Hunt II; +Cc: cygx

[...]

Cheers,
	Egbert.

* Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-27 17:26   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: devel

Alan Hourihane wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:35:20AM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>
>>6) Alternatives are being evaluated for hosting Cygwin/XFree86 code in
>>CVS.  Hosts that can provide CVS commit access for at least five
>>Cygwin/XFree86 developers will be given priority.
>

> Harold,
>
> I thought you already had the CVS for Cygwin/XFree86 sorted out, by
> using what you'd already setup in http://sf.net/projects/xoncygwin ?

It is something I am looking into.

It all depends on if we want to have to import and maintain the clients.

> You and Alexander Gottwald (and myself) have already been using this for
> quite some time now. Couldn't you give Kensuke et al commit access there rather
> than seeking out yet another repository ?

Looking into it.

Harold

* Re: Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-27 16:45 ` Alan Hourihane
From: Alan Hourihane @ 2003-10-27 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: devel

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 11:35:20AM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> 6) Alternatives are being evaluated for hosting Cygwin/XFree86 code in
> CVS.  Hosts that can provide CVS commit access for at least five
> Cygwin/XFree86 developers will be given priority.

Harold,

I thought you already had the CVS for Cygwin/XFree86 sorted out, by
using what you'd already setup in http://sf.net/projects/xoncygwin ?

You and Alexander Gottwald (and myself) have already been using this for
quite some time now. Couldn't you give Kensuke et al commit access there rather
than seeking out yet another repository ?

Alan.

* Cygwin/XFree86 - No longer associated with XFree86.org
@ 2003-10-27 16:35 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-27 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: devel; +Cc: cygx

It seems that David Dawes has made his decision not to let the
Cygwin/XFree86 project commit patches directly to the XFree86.org CVS
tree; he doesn't seem to want to go on record saying this, but he has
written several messages during this discussion about ftp servers, cvs
servers, etc., while making no attempt to provide a direct answer to my
question.  Had he intended otherwise he could have easily said, "Gotta
wait until the next board meeting", or "Sorry, server died, gonna have
to wait a couple days".  I can only interpret his ignoring the issue as
a passive refusal to grant Cygwin/XFree86 CVS commit access.

In the interests of providing a more open development model, the
Cygwin/XFree86 project will no longer be maintaining code in the
XFree86.org CVS tree.  Maintaining code in XFree86.org's CVS tree
provides little benefit in relation to the amount of time required to do
so; XFree86.org is passively unwilling to work with Cygwin/XFree86 to
reduce the amount of time required.

What this means for Cygwin/XFree86 users and developers
cygwin.com.

3) Builds will continue to be made from the 4.3.0 snapshot, patched with
the latest Cygwin/XFree86 patches.

4) A 4.4.0 snapshot may be pulled to make builds from.

5) Patches for Cygwin-specific code will no longer be sent to
XFree86.org.  Non Cygwin-specific patches should still be sent, to be
dealt with as XFree86 pleases.

6) Alternatives are being evaluated for hosting Cygwin/XFree86 code in
CVS.  Hosts that can provide CVS commit access for at least five
Cygwin/XFree86 developers will be given priority.

What this means for Cygwin
Nothing.  Nada.  Zilch.  They were not involved in this at all.

What this means for XFree86
Some will say nothing.  Some will say good riddance.  Some will say this
is the beginning of the end.  Who knows?  Who cares?  Let /. figure it out.

Harold