* freetype2, fontconfig, and rebuild of dependent packages coming shortly
@ 2003-10-28 22:45 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-28 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Just wanted to drop a note for anyone that saw the updates on the site
that indicate that the above was released today around 13:55 EST.

I ran into an issue at the last minute when I looked at the LessTif
rebuild and realized that it was not using freetype and fontconfig
because it was looking in /usr/X11R6/bin for freetype-config and
fontconfig-config, when freetype-config has moved to /usr/bin and
fontconfig-config was will altogether.

Looks like I have a little more work to do to get this setup properly.

A release of the new freetype2 and fontconfig packages, as well as a
rebuild of all dependent packages, will be coming later tonight.  Please
be patient.

Harold

* Re: freetype2, fontconfig, and rebuild of dependent packages coming shortly
@ 2003-10-28 23:33 ` Frédéric L. W. Meunier
From: Frédéric L. W. Meunier @ 2003-10-28 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> A release of the new freetype2 and fontconfig packages, as
> well as a rebuild of all dependent packages, will be coming
> later tonight.  Please be patient.

Is there anything wrong with fontconfig 2.2.1 ? I noticed you
mentioned 2.2.0 in the last e-mails.

The changes:
http://mail.fontconfig.org/pipermail/fontconfig/2003-June/000437.html

--
How to contact me - http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html

* Re: freetype2, fontconfig, and rebuild of dependent packages coming shortly
@ 2003-10-28 23:49 ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-10-28 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> I ran into an issue at the last minute when I looked at the LessTif
> rebuild and realized that it was not using freetype and fontconfig
> because it was looking in /usr/X11R6/bin for freetype-config and
> fontconfig-config, when freetype-config has moved to /usr/bin and
> fontconfig-config was will altogether.

I thought we had decided to disable this support.  Did that change?

>From http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00441.html :

Additionally, I have disabled the experimental Xft support for antialiased
fonts using freetype/fontconfig that was enabled by default in this
release. For details about this choice, see:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00348.html

Feedback about this issue is welcomed and should be directed to the
cygwin-xfree mailing list mentioned at the end of this announcement.

And:

Changes:

* configure.in (AC_FIND_XFT): Disable Keith Packard's experimental Xft
support.

Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: freetype2, fontconfig, and rebuild of dependent packages coming shortly
@ 2003-10-29  0:29   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-29  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>A release of the new freetype2 and fontconfig packages, as
>>well as a rebuild of all dependent packages, will be coming
>>later tonight.  Please be patient.
>

> Is there anything wrong with fontconfig 2.2.1 ? I noticed you
> mentioned 2.2.0 in the last e-mails.
>
> The changes:
> http://mail.fontconfig.org/pipermail/fontconfig/2003-June/000437.html

The release page only links to 2.2.0:

http://freedesktop.org/software/fontconfig

In my discussions with Keith, he hasn't mentioned that 2.2.0 wasn't the
latest "stable" version.  He has mentioned the 2.3.0 pre-releases better
known as 2.2.9x... but I think he said to stick with 2.2.0 because it
was the latest stable release.  I could be wrong though.

In any case, it will be much easier to release a newer version of
fontconfig after one is out the door.  There is a lot of legwork in
getting this done the first time.

@ 2003-10-29  0:30   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-29  0:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Brian,

Brian Ford wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
>

>>I ran into an issue at the last minute when I looked at the LessTif
>>rebuild and realized that it was not using freetype and fontconfig
>>because it was looking in /usr/X11R6/bin for freetype-config and
>>fontconfig-config, when freetype-config has moved to /usr/bin and
>>fontconfig-config was will altogether.
>>

> I thought we had decided to disable this support.  Did that change?

I'm sorry... Nicholas and I were talking about this off-list and he
enabled it and seemed to think it worked okay, so I took his word for it
and enabled it.  I can always disable it if it turns out to be horribly
broken.

@ 2003-10-29 19:32   ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-10-29 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> Brian Ford wrote:
> > Well, I sent this last night before the new lesstif release, but somehow
> > it evaporated.
> >
> Nope, didn't evaporate... I even replied to it :)

Sorry, Harold.  I should have checked the archives first.  Strangely
though, neither made it to my inbox.

>From that (http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00375.html) reply:

> > On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:
> >>I ran into an issue at the last minute when I looked at the LessTif
> >>rebuild and realized that it was not using freetype and fontconfig
> >>because it was looking in /usr/X11R6/bin for freetype-config and
> >>fontconfig-config, when freetype-config has moved to /usr/bin and
> >>fontconfig-config was will altogether.
> >>
> >I thought we had decided to disable this support.  Did that change?
> >
>I'm sorry... Nicholas and I were talking about this off-list and he
>enabled it and seemed to think it worked okay, so I took his word for it
>and enabled it. I can always disable it if it turns out to be horribly
>broken.

Yeah, it would be great to have those conversations on-list next time.  I
assume they were just inseparably mixed in with the shared lesstif
conversion discussion, which I guess was ok to have off list (although
it might have been nice to see that too).  So, ok.

I wasn't as worried about it being broken :) as I was this
(from http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-09/msg00348.html):

> My other concern is the additional link time dependencies this will add.
> (Obviously, we would need to add additional setup.hint dependencies
> too.) libtool enabled applications should just get it right via the
> libXm.la file, but non libtool aware applications might break at compile
> time if their configure scripts or the like are not smart enough.
[snip]
> Current Cygwin 1.3.22/Xfree 4.2.x libXm.la (0.93.41):
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lXt -lXp -lXext -lX11'
>
> Possible new Cygwin 1.5.x/Xfree 4.3.x libXm.la (0.93.91):
>
> # Libraries that this one depends upon.
> dependency_libs=' -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lXt -lXp -lXext -lX11
> -lfreetype -lXft -lXrender -lfontconfig'

Our apps happen to be examples of those who don't use libtool and don't
yet have configure scripts smart enough to take this into account.  No big
deal here; I'll fix them.  But, I'm sure this change will generate some list
traffic when apps that used to compile OOTB now don't.

We'll see...

--

@ 2003-10-29 16:55 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-29 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)