* Updated: XFree86-bin-4.3.0-7, XFree86-etc-4.3.0-5, XFree86-fsrv-4.3.0-5, and XFree86-prog-4.3.0-10
@ 2003-10-30 16:57 Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-10-30 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx, cygxannounce

The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

*** XFree86-bin-4.3.0-7
*** XFree86-etc-4.3.0-5
*** XFree86-fsrv-4.3.0-5
*** XFree86-prog-4.3.0-10

Changes
=======

1) XFree86-bin, XFree86-prog - Remove Xaw3d files accidentally included
from when I was building Xaw3d in the xc/ tree.  Caught by: (Dr. Volker
Zell)

2) XFree86-etc - Include /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm* and
/etc/X11/app-defaults/UXTerm.  Had to 'touch' the source files for these
before they started getting installed by 'make install'.  Caught by:
(Dr. Volker Zell)

3) XFree86-fsrv - Include the man file for xfs.  Had to run 'make
install.man' in programs/xfs/.  (Harold L Hunt II)

--
Harold Hunt

To update your installation, click on the "Install Cygwin now" link on
the http://cygwin.com/ web page.  This downloads setup.exe to your
system.  Once you've downloaded setup.exe, run it and select "XFree86"
and then click on the appropriate field until the above announced
version number appears if it is not displayed already.

If your mirror doesn't yet have the latest version of this package after
24 hours, you can either continue to wait for that site to be updated or
you can try to find another mirror.

Please send questions or comments to the Cygwin/XFree86 mailing list at:
cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com

If you want to subscribe go to:
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/

I would appreciate if you would use this mailing list rather than
emailing me directly.  This includes ideas and comments about the setup
utility or Cygwin/XFree86 in general.

If you want to make a point or ask a question the Cygwin/XFree86 mailing
list is the appropriate place.

* xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.
@ 2003-11-02  5:12 ` Constantine
From: Constantine @ 2003-11-02  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Hello,

After I have updated my installation today, and when I am running xinit
now, I get a Windows window with the message that "cygfreetype-6.dll was
not found".

After I did the following, everything worked again:

cd /usr/X11R6/bin/
cp cygfreetype-9.dll cygfreetype-6.dll

Cheers,
Constantine A. Murenin.

* Re: xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.
@ 2003-11-02 18:14   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-02 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Constantine wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After I have updated my installation today, and when I am running xinit
> now, I get a Windows window with the message that "cygfreetype-6.dll was
> not found".
>
> After I did the following, everything worked again:
>
> cd /usr/X11R6/bin/
> cp cygfreetype-9.dll cygfreetype-6.dll

Constantine,

Hmm... I would appreciate it if you could help me to figure out what the
real problem is here.  The new XFree86-bin-4.3.0-7 package no longer
contains cygfreetype-9.dll, as this library is now distributed as part
of the freetype2/libfreetype26 package.  freetype2 defines the version
of the freetype2 library as '6' instead of the '9' that XFree86 was
using as the library version.  I added a copy of cygfreetype-9.dll to
the XFree86-lib-compat package for those that need the old library.

However, I want to know what application was failing in your xinit
scripts.  There should not be an application that requires
cygfreetype-9.dll in the default script.  Have you modified your script?
  What program are you launching that requires this DLL?  Are you
launching emacs?

I would like to get any old applications that use cygfreetype-9.dll rebuilt.

Thanks for testing,

Harold

* Re: xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.
@ 2003-11-07 13:12     ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-11-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

(I'm not Constantine, but I see the same problem)
> However, I want to know what application was failing in your xinit
> scripts.  There should not be an application that requires
> cygfreetype-9.dll in the default script.  Have you modified your
> script?

Yes.

I've added two xterms doing an ssh -X into linux boxes I always work
on, and there is a sleep between each xterm start.

> What program are you launching that requires this DLL?

The dialog that pops up, has the title:
	XWin.exe - Unable To Locate DLL

> Are you launching emacs?

No.

I did the update today.

* Re: xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.
@ 2003-11-07 14:31       ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-11-07 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

>> However, I want to know what application was failing in your xinit
>> scripts.  There should not be an application that requires
>> cygfreetype-9.dll in the default script.
[snip!]
>> What program are you launching that requires this DLL?

> The dialog that pops up, has the title:
> 	XWin.exe - Unable To Locate DLL
[snip!]

> I did the update today.

The version of XFree86-xserv is 4.3.0-21.

The version of XFree86-lib-compat is 4.3.0-2, with no available
upgrade candidates.

* Re: xinit: The application has failed to start because cygfreetype-6.dll was not found.
@ 2003-11-07 17:40       ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Steinar,

You need the libfreetype26 package, which is gotten by selecting the
freetype2 package.  It should have been automatically selected, but it
looks like it wasn't in your case.

Also, make sure that you have the fontconfig package (it auto-selects
libfontconfig0).

Harold

@ 2003-11-12 11:38         ` Steinar Bang
From: Steinar Bang @ 2003-11-12 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> You need the libfreetype26 package, which is gotten by selecting the
> freetype2 package.  It should have been automatically selected, but
> it looks like it wasn't in your case.

When I started setup.exe right now, and clicked keep on the
XFree86-xserv package, the libfreetype26 package was selected and was
installed.

> Also, make sure that you have the fontconfig package (it
> auto-selects libfontconfig0).

Forgot to check that, but I guess it was installed, because it works
now.

Thanx!