* Re: Define a foreign language keyboard in HP-Ux CDE, with theAltGrkey?
@ 2003-11-13 10:06 Franz Roters
From: Franz Roters @ 2003-11-13 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Just a wild guess:
>
> CDE uses an older X11 Release where ISO_Level3_Shift was still called
> Mode_switch. I guess CDE changes the modmap and sets AltGr to a symbol
> which is not recognized as Level3-Shift by the xserver.

Maybe this gets us closer to the point:

Exceed uses a file called 'german.kbf' for input.
This is what I get from the XKey tool they use to edit these files
for AltGr:

Current X mapping for Key labeled ALT GR:
                     Scan code: 0x138 (ALT GR)

               Unshifted     Shifted     ModeSwitch Shift Mode Switch

Keysym:  ModeSwitch NoSymbol NoSymbol    NoSymbol

Key State:  Mod3

> You can start xev for debugging. If it is not available with CDE,
you can
> start a local xterm (from cygwin) after loggin into CDE and start
xev from
> the cygwin xterm.

Sorry I am no expert at all in these things, but if you could give a
step by step instruction how to do this. I would be glad to help.

Bye

Franz

* Re: Define a foreign language keyboard in HP-Ux CDE, with theAltGrkey?
@ 2003-11-13 10:34 ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-13 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, roters

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Franz Roters wrote:

> Sorry I am no expert at all in these things, but if you could give a
> step by step instruction how to do this. I would be glad to help.

Start xwin
login to CDE
start a CDE xterm
  $ xhost +
start cygwin bash
  $ DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 xev

A white window should open. Move the pointer into the window and press
AltGr. The logmessages now go to the bash window.

--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: Define a foreign language keyboard in HP-Ux CDE, with theAltGrkey?
@ 2003-11-13 13:52   ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2003-11-13 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Looks interesting to do 'X tricks'.

REMARKABLE OBSERVATION:
It looks like the AltGr key is mapped well to the keyboard. Shift-key
combinations work well for a Spanish keyboard.

IMPORTANT:
The command "xmodmap -pk" shows that there is NO third definition -so no
definition for usage of AltGr key- for any key. All other keys using
Shift (2nd definition for a key) shows the Spanish keyboard is mapped fine.

Changing the keyboard from Spanish to English in WindowsXP didn't make
any difference.

So what happened to the definition of the 3rd meaning (being AltGr) of
the keys?

Is there a mix between US keyboards (with no AltGr key combinations) and
other keyboards with AltGr combinations, but still loading the two
definitions from the keyboard language mapping?

Regards,

Hans.

I did the following:

Defined in XF86Config:

     Option "XkbModel"    "pc105"
     Option "XkbLayout"   "es"
     Option "XkbVariant"  "basic" # As the "es" file below opts.
     Option RightAlt      "ModeShift"

The file /etc/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/es is changed to (because the RightAlt
option in XF86Config doesn't seem to change the mapping of AltGr):

     key <RALT>  { type[Group1]="TWO_LEVEL",
                   [ Mode_switch, Multi_key ]   };
     modifier_map Mod5   { <RALT> };

Output from xev, using Alexander Gottwalt's directions:

KeyPress event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
	root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 2395765, (1,139), root:(535,281)
	stat 0x10, keycode 113 (keysym 0xff7e, Mode_switch), same_screen YES
	XlookupString gives 0 bytes: ""

KeyRelease event, serial 23, synthetic NO, window 0x1800001,
	root 0x3a, subw 0x0, time 20395875, (1,139), root:(535,281)

@ 2003-11-13 15:39     ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-13 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, hans.dekker.ext

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003, Hans Dekker wrote:

> Looks interesting to do 'X tricks'.
>
> REMARKABLE OBSERVATION:
> It looks like the AltGr key is mapped well to the keyboard. Shift-key
> combinations work well for a Spanish keyboard.
>
> IMPORTANT:
> The command "xmodmap -pk" shows that there is NO third definition -so no
> definition for usage of AltGr key- for any key. All other keys using
> Shift (2nd definition for a key) shows the Spanish keyboard is mapped fine.

Most likely CDE resets the keyboardlayout.

Please start from the cygwin bash "DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 setxkbmap es"

Does AltGr work now?

bye
	ago
--

@ 2003-11-13 16:58       ` Hans Dekker
From: Hans Dekker @ 2003-11-13 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Gottwald; +Cc: cygwin-xfree

Nope. Unfortunately not. The output of setxkbmap es -print is:

xkb_keymap {
	xkb_keycodes 	{ include "xfree86+aliases(qwerty)"	};
	xkb_types 	{ include "complete"	};
	xkb_compat	{ include "complete"	};
	xkb_symbols	{ include "pc/pc(102)+pc/es"	};
	xkb_geometry	{ include "pc(pc102)"	};
};

See you, Hans.