* wmaker
@ 2003-11-12  4:18 Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-12  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin list

Every time I start Xwin32 ZoneAlarm asks me if I want to allow XWin32 to run
as a server, so I answer yes. Then when I start Xterm from program bar
ZoneAlarm asks me if I want to allow Xterm (or every other X app) to access
the Internet. Nothing happens, neither I answer yes nor no. I want only run
wmaker but I'm not connected in a LAN environment, I'm at home not in the
office. What I've to do to reach to run wmaker?

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-12  4:21 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-12  4:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

You talking about X-Win32 or XWin.exe?  The former is a commercial
product supported by a company not related to the Cygwin/X project
(contact them for assistance), while the latter is the our executable
that we can help you with.  Please advise.

Harold

@ 2003-11-12  4:43   ` Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-12  4:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

XWIN.exe is started automatically if I run startxwin.bat

@ 2003-11-12  5:24     ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-12  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> XWIN.exe is started automatically if I run startxwin.bat

Of course, XWin.exe is started from startxwin.bat, but you said "Every
time I start Xwin32".  See, you said Xwin32, which confused me.  All I
have to go on is what *you* write.  I cannot assume that you did not
mean to write what you wrote, especially when what you wrote matches the
name of something that I know to exist and that could be easily confused
with our project.

So, you are running startxwin.bat and getting the problem, not launching
that other X Server called X-Win32, right?

Harold

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-12  8:03 ` Tomasz Rojek
From: Tomasz Rojek @ 2003-11-12  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> office. What I've to do to reach to run wmaker?
Hi,

My advise is a workaround, not a solution, but if I were you I would choose
Kerio Personal Firewall instead of ZoneAlarm. Besides other advantages KPF
does not cause such problems.

--

Best regards

Tomasz Rojek

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-13 23:38       ` Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-13 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

You're right, I'm sorry. My environment is composed by an Intel P3 running
at 350Mhz with Win98. I've downloaded Cygwin on a CD in the office (where
Cygwin runs on Win2000) and I've installed at home from that CD.
I know three ways to run X application, from startxwin.bat, from Windows
application bar and from inside a bash shell.
The first one produces only the message related to XWin.exe.
The second one produces only the ZoneAlarm alerts and nothing more even if I
answer 'yes' to ZoneAlarm's request to allow the application to access the
Internet (why? I haven't such a LAN!).
The third one starts an X window but nothing more. After "X&" from bash,
when I try to run "wmaker&" the answer is only an error.

Bye

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-14  0:34         ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-14  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Lorenzo Travaglio

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> I know three ways to run X application, from startxwin.bat, from Windows
> application bar and from inside a bash shell.
> The first one produces only the message related to XWin.exe.

What message?  It should produce an xterm.

> The second one produces only the ZoneAlarm alerts and nothing more even if I
> answer 'yes' to ZoneAlarm's request to allow the application to access the
> Internet (why? I haven't such a LAN!).

X11 uses the loopback interface with IP address 127.0.0.1 and so need
"Internet" access.  This is normal.

> The third one starts an X window but nothing more. After "X&" from bash,
> when I try to run "wmaker&" the answer is only an error.

What error?

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-15  5:49           ` Lorenzo Travaglio
From: Lorenzo Travaglio @ 2003-11-15  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> What message?  It should produce an xterm.
No. the only message is "startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me"
fisplayed into a DOS console, and nothing more

> X11 uses the loopback interface with IP address 127.0.0.1 and so need
> "Internet" access.  This is normal.
OK.

> > The third one starts an X window but nothing more. After "X&" from bash,
> > when I try to run "wmaker&" the answer is only an error.
> >
> What error?
- wmaker fatal error. Could not open display "".
Please note that there isn't $DISPLAY or $COMPUTERNAME or other sounds-like
environment variables (like in my office's installation) and even if I try
to set such variable nothing happens. I use all the batch files like
provided by the installation. I've not modified them because I don't known
what to do.

* Re: wmaker
@ 2003-11-15 17:31             ` Brian Ford
From: Brian Ford @ 2003-11-15 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, Lorenzo Travaglio

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> > What message?  It should produce an xterm.
> No. the only message is "startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me"
> fisplayed into a DOS console, and nothing more

Have you edited startxwin.bat?  Is there an X icon in the icon tray?
Please look at /tmp/XWin.log for errors.

Have you run it successfully as another user?  If so, you may need to
delete /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.

Harold,

we have this problem all the time.  One user logs in, uses X, logs out,
then the next user logs in and X won't start because they can't
delete/open /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Even if the second user has administrator privledges, the startxwin.bat
script can not delete the unix socket.  Only if the second user explicitly
does a chown to themselves can they/startxwin.bat delete the file.

> > X11 uses the loopback interface with IP address 127.0.0.1 and so need
> > "Internet" access.  This is normal.
> OK.
>
> > > The third one starts an X window but nothing more. After "X&" from bash,
> > > when I try to run "wmaker&" the answer is only an error.
> > >
> > What error?
> - wmaker fatal error. Could not open display "".
> Please note that there isn't $DISPLAY or $COMPUTERNAME or other sounds-like
> environment variables (like in my office's installation) and even if I try
> to set such variable nothing happens. I use all the batch files like
> provided by the installation. I've not modified them because I don't known
> what to do.

Yes, you need to set DISPLAY to something like :0.0 if you are going to
start X manually from bash.  If you use startxwin.bat, this will be taken
care of for you.

Please post the contents of /tmp/Xwin.log.  Thanks.

--

@ 2003-11-17 18:11               ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-17 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Brian,

Brian Ford wrote:

> Harold,
>
> we have this problem all the time.  One user logs in, uses X, logs out,
> then the next user logs in and X won't start because they can't
> delete/open /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.  Does anyone know how to fix this?
>
> Even if the second user has administrator privledges, the startxwin.bat
> script can not delete the unix socket.  Only if the second user explicitly
> does a chown to themselves can they/startxwin.bat delete the file.

Hmm... I ran into this once a long time ago.  Are the users actually
exiting XWin.exe, or are they leaving it open?  You know, Takuma
Murakami added a catch for WM_ENDSESSION in XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-22; this
message is thrown when a user logs off and catching it causes XWin.exe
to shutdown cleanly.  Thus, 4.3.0-22 might fix your problem.  Have you
tried 4.3.0-22?

Harold