* Re: Can't type in login window via XDMCP
@ 2003-11-18 19:14 jae.ellers
From: jae.ellers @ 2003-11-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Harold,
>Jae, I am not sure I understand your problem. You are, of course, clicking
in >the text boxes where you type the user name and password, right? What
sort of >OS is the remote machine running?

Yes, I'm clicking in the boxes.  As I said, the remote system is running
RedHat ES (Enterprise Server) 2.1, analogous to approx RH 8.0 I think.  My
system is running WXP_SP1.

You're right in that the WaitFor.c wasn't the problem.

Here's the problem. I start X by running:
xwin -query <server>

I get the XDMCP login.  I can operate all controls with the mouse, but
nothing shows in the login or password windows when I type.  However, when I
hit the capslock key, the login box tells me I have it pressed.

I may try wiping things out and starting over.  It sounds to me like there's
a conflict in versions somewhere, but how to tell?

Thanks
Jae Ellers		Tektronix, Inc.
jae.ellers@tek.com

* Re: Can't type in login window via XDMCP
@ 2003-11-18 19:25 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-18 19:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jae,

Try clicking in the user name box, leaving the mouse over it, typing
your user name, clicking in the password box, leaving the mouse over it,
type your password, then click the Login button.  See if it logs in :)
If it logs in, then there is something wacky with output, not input.  It
would be nice to know which is really the problem here.

Is everything using US keyboard layouts and English as the language?  If
not, then our non-U.S. experts will need to be consulted for further
information.

Harold

@ 2003-11-19 13:58   ` Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2003-11-19 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: jae.ellers

On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jay Smith wrote:

> The other thing I wonder about is fonts.  I am ignorant on the subject, but
> is there a chance that not all the fonts needed are being loaded (on either
> end?)

You will only have access to the fonts installed with Cygwin/XFree unless you
run a fontserver on the linux machine and add tcp/linuxserver:7100 to the
fontpath.

bye
	ago
--
 Alexander.Gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723

* Re: Can't type in login window via XDMCP
@ 2003-11-18 20:29 ` Jay Smith
From: Jay Smith @ 2003-11-18 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, jae.ellers

Jae,

I have been told on this list that it "shouldn't" (or was it "doesn't"?)
make a difference, however, when logging into an RH8 box, I *had* to put
the -query as the last element on the line.  Try this to see if it makes
any difference (you seem to be having somewhat different problems, thus I
am not sure...)

c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xwin -from 192.168.1.4 -query zephyr.mydomain.com

The other thing I wonder about is fonts.  I am ignorant on the subject, but
is there a chance that not all the fonts needed are being loaded (on either
end?)

Jay

--
Jay Smith

e-mail: Jay@JaySmith.com  mailto:Jay@JaySmith.com
website: http://www.JaySmith.com

Jay Smith & Associates
P.O. Box 650
Snow Camp, NC  27349  USA

Phone: Int+US+336-376-9991
Toll-Free Phone in US & Canada:
	1-800-447-8267
Fax: Int+US+336-376-6750

* Re: Can't type in login window via XDMCP
@ 2003-11-18  5:19 ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2003-11-18  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Jae,

jae.ellers@exgate.tek.com wrote:

> Hi folks,
> First thanks to all who contribute.  Xfree on Cygwin has been great.
> However, I was seeing 2Gb+ XWin.log files and felt I needed to update.  SO I
> updated today and now I can't login via XDMCP.  Here's the command line I
> use:
>
> c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\xwin -query zephyr.mydomain.com -from 192.168.1.4
>
> The system I'm logging into is a RH ES2.1 server.  I've been using the same
> setup for months now.
>
> The problem is that I can't type in the login window.  Nothing appears.  The
> only thing I can see getting thru is the Caps Lock, which I find very
> strange.
>
> Even if I start xwin and then twm and an xterm I can't type in the xterm.
>
> I do see a message in /tmp/XWin.log:
> (EE) Unable to locate/open config file
> InitOutput - Error reading config file

I am not sure I understand your problem.  You are, of course, clicking
in the text boxes where you type the user name and password, right?
What sort of OS is the remote machine running?

> Do I need a config file?  I haven't used one before.

No, you do not need a config file.

> I found this message:
> http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-10/msg00303.html and tested
> http://www.msu.edu/~huntharo/xwin/devel/server/XWin-4.3.0-20-Test01.exe.bz2
> and I can login.  So it looks like the problem is in the new WaitFor.c code.

Actually, I really doubt it is a problem with WaitFor.c.  The changes
were made in 4.3.0-16 on or around 2003/10/04:

http://xfree86.cygwin.com/devel/server/changelog.html

The keyboard focus problem referred to in that mailing list message was
actually due to problems with shared Xt/Xaw/Xaw6/LessTif libraries.
That has just now been fixed.  You could try updating your installation
tomorrow (when the new packages hit the mirrors) and see if it fixes
your problem; it might.

Harold

* Can't type in login window via XDMCP
@ 2003-11-17 19:13 jae.ellers