* Initiating a remote X session
@ 2004-01-21 15:31 Steve Howie
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Howie @ 2004-01-21 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: bszk, bo

Howdy,

We've just had a look at cygwin-xfree and are very impressed. However,
we'd like to bundle it for our users so that we have a some pre-defined
'sessions' available e.g. connect to a Unix host, run SAS then have the
output sent to an cygwin-xfree server. Unix commands are not the forte
of most of our users.

This is fine with a static IP address  - we would launch a program which
does something like:

from the Cygwin shell. All bets are off, however, since most of our IP
addresses are served out by DHCP.

We currently use X-Win32 which has a nifty feature for getting around
this - you can specify $MYIP:0 which picks up the current IP address of
the X-server and passes it to the session definition which is sent to
the host which will run the application.

So ideally we would like something similar to this in cygwin-xfree :

rexec <host> -l <username> "setenv DISPLAY $MYIP:0; /opt/SAS82/sas"

I did a quick dig through the archives and noticed something similar to
this question - but it was from a while ago - we'd ideally like to have
the user get a popup prompting them for a username/password for the
host, then pass this information via a command such as the one above,
and also pick up the X-servers IP address whether static or dynamic. Is
something like this available already?

Any info would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Scotty