* different resolutions on different monitors
@ 2004-02-11 21:38 Chad Haynes
From: Chad Haynes @ 2004-02-11 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I am using 2 monitors, one with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768.
When I start the X server using the -multiwindow option then start an
app (such as xterm) the application always opens in the top corner of
the smaller monitor at a point where the top of the window is off the
screen.  I can't get to the title bar to move the window so in order to
see everything I have to tile or cascade the windows which is a pain.
Is there some way to set the default location on the screen the windows
open?

Thanks for the help.

-Chad

* Re: different resolutions on different monitors
@ 2004-02-11 23:10 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2004-02-11 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chad Haynes wrote:

> I am using 2 monitors, one with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768.
> When I start the X server using the -multiwindow option then start an
> app (such as xterm) the application always opens in the top corner of
> the smaller monitor at a point where the top of the window is off the
> screen.  I can't get to the title bar to move the window so in order to
> see everything I have to tile or cascade the windows which is a pain.

This could be a bug in the -multiplemonitors implementation.  Please post
the exact command you use to invoke XWin.exe.

> Is there some way to set the default location on the screen the windows
> open?
>
> Thanks for the help.
> -Chad

As a temporary workaround, look into the "-geometry" option that any X app
should support ('PAGER="less -p GEOMETRY" man X' should do it).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

* Re: different resolutions on different monitors
@ 2004-02-12  6:11   ` Earle F. Philhower III
From: Earle F. Philhower III @ 2004-02-12  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Howdy...

At 06:10 PM 2/11/2004 -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Chad Haynes wrote:
> > I am using 2 monitors, one with 1280x1024 and the other with 1024x768.
> > When I start the X server using the -multiwindow option then start an
> > app (such as xterm) the application always opens in the top corner of
> > the smaller monitor at a point where the top of the window is off the
> > screen.  I can't get to the title bar to move the window so in order to
> > see everything I have to tile or cascade the windows which is a pain.
>This could be a bug in the -multiplemonitors implementation.  Please post
>the exact command you use to invoke XWin.exe.

Actually, I think it's a feature.  Chad's got a non-rectangular Windows
desktop:   (Bad ASCII alert!)     xxxxx      x=monitor 1 1024x768
                               yyyyxxxxx      y=monitor 2 1280x1024
                               yyyyxxxxx

What the rootless is doing is getting the max desktop extents from Windoze,
which gives (1024+1280)x1024.  That becomes a window whose origin (0,0) is
off-screen, so when the current WM makes a new window (always @ X coord 0,0)
the upper bits of it are gone.  The alternative is to take the min extents,
but then you wouldn't be able to move a window around freely on the bigger
monitor...

Does Xinerama allow non-rectangular root windows?  Maybe there's something
in there to look at?

> > Is there some way to set the default location on the screen the windows
> > open?
>As a temporary workaround, look into the "-geometry" option that any X app
>should support ('PAGER="less -p GEOMETRY" man X' should do it).

Also, you can right-click on the X term window label in the taskbar, select
"Move", then *before touching the mouse* hit any arrow key.  Then move the
mouse and the window will follow...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com

* Re: different resolutions on different monitors
@ 2004-02-12  6:18     ` Earle F. Philhower III
From: Earle F. Philhower III @ 2004-02-12  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

At 10:11 PM 2/11/2004 -0800, I wrote:
>Actually, I think it's a feature.  Chad's got a non-rectangular Windows
>desktop:   (Bad ASCII alert!)     xxxxx      x=monitor 1 1024x768
>                               yyyyxxxxx      y=monitor 2 1280x1024
>                               yyyyxxxxx

Oops, make that "y=1024x768, x=1280x1024)...

@ 2004-02-12 15:08   ` Chad Haynes
From: Chad Haynes @ 2004-02-12 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The command I am using to invoke XWin is just:
XWin -multiwindow -multimonitors

-Chad