* RE: Windows XP SP2 and Firewall
@ 2004-03-02 14:58 Stuart Adamson
From: Stuart Adamson @ 2004-03-02 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com '

> I'll do some research on how to change the firewall settings from
> a running program.
>
> Any comments and ideas?

What happens when X crashes?  We *have* to restore the firewall in this
case.  I *think* we can catch this case using SEH - but we can't compile
using gcc then...

Maybe we need a wrapper script when runs "disable firewall", "run X",
"enable firewall".  Works well (until the use kills the wrapper script...)

Stuart

* Windows XP SP2 and Firewall
@ 2004-03-02 10:19 Alexander Gottwald
From: Alexander Gottwald @ 2004-03-02 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi,

With the upcoming Servicepack 2 for Windows XP we will get more
network related bugreports. XP will then enable the built-in firewall
(ICF) by default and the xserver will become unusable from the network
without changes to ICF configuration.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/security/productinfo/xpsp2/default.aspx

I propose a new commandline switch "-icf-adjust" which (if possible)
changes the configuration of the firewall to allow incoming traffic
on port 6000+x and restores the old settings on exit.

I'll do some research on how to change the firewall settings from
a running program.

Any comments and ideas?

bye
	ago