* Re: Updated: XFree86-[base,xserv]
       [not found] <405855F4.5070908@codeweavers.com>
@ 2004-03-17 15:01 ` Danilo Turina
From: Danilo Turina @ 2004-03-17 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygx

Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> The following packages have been updated in the Cygwin distribution:
>
> *** XFree86-base-4.3.0-7
> *** XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-57
>
> Changes
> =======
>
> 1) xserv - Cascade Win32 windows when -geometry is
> not specified, using CW_USEDEFAULT, instead of always creating at
> X(0,0).  (Earle F. Philhower III)

Now all the "secondary windows" (I don't know how they are called) of an
application are opened following that criterium, also menus!!!.

For example try to open xterm and to display its menus with Ctrl+mouse
button: they open in a cascade fashion (difficult to explain, you must try).

--
--------------------------------------
Danilo Turina

2 anni 11 mesi 8 giorni 6 ore 30 minuti 34 secondi

* Re: Updated: XFree86-[base,xserv]
@ 2004-03-18 16:01   ` Harold L Hunt II
From: Harold L Hunt II @ 2004-03-18 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Earle,

Earle F. Philhower III wrote:
> It's bad form to talk to yourself, but...
>
> At 06:19 PM 3/17/2004 +0000, Earle wrote:
>
>> OK, I feel really stupid now.  I did test this locally but not with xterm
>> menus. I do most of my work in emacs, which seems OK, so didn't notice...
>> There's a transient property on the window that should be examined
>> before cascading it, I'll either back out the change or add the transient
>> property check tonight.
>

> I've got the fix ready, but it seems freedesktop.org is down (www & cvs
> both) tonight.  I'll try again tomorrow morning, but it turned out to be
> that we have to check for 3 things @ line ~482 of winmultiwindowwindow.c:
> 1. Not predefined in hints (preplaced w/-geometry or by the app)
> 2. No WM_TRANSIENT_FOR ATOM attached (for things like splash screens)
> 3. No pWin->overrideRedirect (undecorated)

Okay, thanks for looking into this.

> Adding those 3 changes makes everything back to hunkey-dorey in emacs,
> xterm, xfig, xfontsel, and xemacs.  The main app window is cascaded
> but menus aren't touched.

Glad you were able to fix it. :)

> Harold, I'll look at the always-on-top stuff once these are checked in...

Thanks in advance,

Harold

* Re: Updated: XFree86-[base,xserv]
@ 2004-03-18  7:19 ` Earle F. Philhower III
From: Earle F. Philhower III @ 2004-03-18  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

It's bad form to talk to yourself, but...

At 06:19 PM 3/17/2004 +0000, Earle wrote:
>OK, I feel really stupid now.  I did test this locally but not with xterm
>menus. I do most of my work in emacs, which seems OK, so didn't notice...
>There's a transient property on the window that should be examined
>before cascading it, I'll either back out the change or add the transient
>property check tonight.

I've got the fix ready, but it seems freedesktop.org is down (www & cvs
both) tonight.  I'll try again tomorrow morning, but it turned out to be
that we have to check for 3 things @ line ~482 of winmultiwindowwindow.c:
1. Not predefined in hints (preplaced w/-geometry or by the app)
2. No WM_TRANSIENT_FOR ATOM attached (for things like splash screens)
3. No pWin->overrideRedirect (undecorated)

Adding those 3 changes makes everything back to hunkey-dorey in emacs,
xterm, xfig, xfontsel, and xemacs.  The main app window is cascaded
but menus aren't touched.

Harold, I'll look at the always-on-top stuff once these are checked in...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
  earle@ziplabel.com
  cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
  http://www.cdrlabel.com

* Re: Updated: XFree86-[base,xserv]
@ 2004-03-17 19:59 Earle F. Philhower, III
From: Earle F. Philhower, III @ 2004-03-17 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Howdy Harold,

Harold wrote ...
> While you are at it, would you mind looking at what happens in emacs
> when you have set the "Always On Top" flag for a window?  The menus in
> that case briefly popup, then get stuck behind the main emacs window.
> If you hold the mouse button down and drags it around between a few
> menus you can eventually get them to stick on top... sounds like all
> child windows of an "Always On Top" window should also have that flag
> set.  I don't know if that is easy or hard to solve though.

According to the Windoze docs any subchildren of a window on the top
of the Z order inherit the always-on-top setting automatically.

Unfortunately it looks like when Emacs makes a menu, it creates a
window whose parent isn't the editor window.  It probably makes a
transient over the root display, so as far as X and Win32 knows it's
just another undecorated window.  I'll throw in some local debugging
and take a gander and see if this is really the case.

It *may* make sense to place transients at the top of the Z stack
always, but I'd rather not do that without a whole lot of thought...
--
-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com

* Re: Updated: XFree86-[base,xserv]