* backspace key mapping problem
@ 2010-01-07 22:38 Chuck
From: Chuck @ 2010-01-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Seems like the character mapped to the backspace key changed from ^H to
^? with the upgrade to 1.7. Is there a way to get the old mapping back?
It's creating problems for me, especially when I ssh to remove systems
where I can't arbitrarily change the "stty erase" setting. TIA.

* Re: backspace key mapping problem
@ 2010-01-07 22:50 ` Chuck
From: Chuck @ 2010-01-07 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Chuck wrote:
> Seems like the character mapped to the backspace key changed from ^H to
> ^? with the upgrade to 1.7. Is there a way to get the old mapping back?
> It's creating problems for me, especially when I ssh to remove systems
> where I can't arbitrarily change the "stty erase" setting. TIA.

should say "remote" not "remove"

* Re: backspace key mapping problem
@ 2010-01-07 23:09 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-01-07 23:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

2010/1/7 Chuck:
> Seems like the character mapped to the backspace key changed from ^H to
> ^? with the upgrade to 1.7. Is there a way to get the old mapping back?

What terminal do you use? (The cygwin-xfree list is meant for X issues.)

Andy

* Re: backspace key mapping problem
@ 2010-01-08 13:59   ` Chuck
From: Chuck @ 2010-01-08 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Andy Koppe wrote:
> 2010/1/7 Chuck:
>> Seems like the character mapped to the backspace key changed from ^H to
>> ^? with the upgrade to 1.7. Is there a way to get the old mapping back?
>
> What terminal do you use? (The cygwin-xfree list is meant for X issues.)

The cygwin xterm program

* Re: backspace key mapping problem
@ 2010-01-08 20:21     ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2010-01-08 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

2010/1/8 Chuck:
>>> Seems like the character mapped to the backspace key changed from ^H to
>>> ^? with the upgrade to 1.7. Is there a way to get the old mapping back?
>>
>> What terminal do you use? (The cygwin-xfree list is meant for X issues.)
>
> The cygwin xterm program

You can change the backspace key mapping on the fly using the
'Backarrow Key' under 'Main Options' in xterm's menu.

One way to change it permanently is to stick this into a file called
.Xdefaults in your home directory:

*ttyModes: erase ^H

Andy