* trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-22 16:54 Bert Thomas
From: Bert Thomas @ 2009-07-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Hi all,

Can you please have a look at this picture:

http://intern.brothom.nl/x-trouble.JPG

It shows the trouble I'm experiencing.

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but if I search on google I
can't find anything usefull.

Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.

The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.

I hope someone can give me a hint!

Kind regards,
Bert Thomas

* Re: trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-22 17:10 ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2009-07-22 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: john

On 22/07/2009 17:53, Bert Thomas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can you please have a look at this picture:
>
> http://intern.brothom.nl/x-trouble.JPG
>
> It shows the trouble I'm experiencing.
>
> Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology, but if I search on google I
> can't find anything usefull.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts

I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.

> Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.
>
> The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
> The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
> machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.

Hmm, yes.  It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font
successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side fonts.

I don't know quite why this isn't working correctly.  I wonder if the
character encodings aren't installed unless non-built in fonts are installed,
and if that might cause this...

* Re: trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-22 18:30   ` Bert Thomas
From: Bert Thomas @ 2009-07-22 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts
>
> I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.

Now I installed pretty much every font the cygwin setup shows, but same
result.

>> Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.
>>
>> The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
>> The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
>> machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.
>
> Hmm, yes.  It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font
> successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side fonts.

client side is remote side, right? Is there a way to convince the apps
on the remote side to use the fonts on the server?

Regards,
Bert

* Re: trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-23 20:15     ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2009-07-23 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree, bert

On 22/07/2009 19:30, Bert Thomas wrote:
>> http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-where-are-my-fonts
>>
>> I suspect that installing some fonts might solve your problem.
>
> Now I installed pretty much every font the cygwin setup shows, but same
> result.
>
>>> Fonts of certain programs (QT) appear as square blocks.
>>>
>>> The programs are running on a remote machine over a putty x11 tunnel.
>>> The "eagle" program you see in the background runs on another remote
>>> machine over another putty tunnel. That program behaves as expected.
>>
>> Hmm, yes. It looks like that is using the server-side built-in font
>> successfully, whereas the Qt applications would be using client-side
>> fonts.

 > I don't know quite why this isn't working correctly. I wonder if the
 > character encodings aren't installed unless non-built in fonts are
 > installed, and if that might cause this...

Actually, on actually doing some testing, this idea is wrong.  I am able to
run kdevelop from a remote Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty) host via a ssh tunnel,
displaying on the Cygwin/X server with no fonts installed and everything works
fine.

When you start kdevelop or another problematic application from the remote
shell, are there any warnings output?

> client side is remote side, right? Is there a way to convince the apps
> on the remote side to use the fonts on the server?

Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the remote host with
applications which have this problem?  Have you seen the applications render
their fonts correctly on other remote X servers?

* Re: trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-24  9:29       ` Bert Thomas
From: Bert Thomas @ 2009-07-24  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

> Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the remote host with
> applications which have this problem?  Have you seen the applications
> render their fonts correctly on other remote X servers?

I installed the X server package on the remote machine and that solved
the problem. It's pretty silly, as the remote machine might not even
have a physical screen attached, but it solved the problem. I assume
because the X application I'm running uses fonts from a local source I
guess?

I don't understand this fully. I've red somewhere that X applications
use a font server. Do they connect to this font server over the same
connection as the X server? Thus, if I use a putty X tunnel, does that
tunnel provide a path to the font server as well?

* Re: trouble with fonts
@ 2009-07-29 17:41         ` Jon TURNEY
From: Jon TURNEY @ 2009-07-29 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree; +Cc: bert

On 24/07/2009 10:29, Bert Thomas wrote:
>> Can you be a bit more specific about the nature of the remote host
>> with applications which have this problem? Have you seen the
>> applications render their fonts correctly on other remote X servers?
>
> I installed the X server package on the remote machine and that solved
> the problem. It's pretty silly, as the remote machine might not even
> have a physical screen attached, but it solved the problem. I assume
> because the X application I'm running uses fonts from a local source I
> guess?

Exactly.  One could describe this as package dependency problem with the
unnamed distro you have on the remote machine, if it doesn't ensure that the
fonts an application needs are installed when the application is...

> I don't understand this fully. I've red somewhere that X applications
> use a font server. Do they connect to this font server over the same
> connection as the X server? Thus, if I use a putty X tunnel, does that
> tunnel provide a path to the font server as well?

Font servers are deprecated, and I don't think can be used for client-side
fonts.  I think you have arrived at the correct solution already by arranging
for the correct fonts to be installed on the host where the application is
running.