* start xterm automatically
@ 2009-09-10  1:47 andreaphus
From: andreaphus @ 2009-09-10  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

I'd like to set it so that when I run cygwin it automatically launches an
xterm shell but Im having problems.

I normally run cygwin and then run startxwin.bat (which works fine). I can
not just put startxwin.bat in .bash_profile because it will loop opening
shells (it resourced .bash_profile everytime which in turns opens a new
xterm). I thought this might because the xterm I was opening up in
startxwin.bat was a login shell but I changed the xterm command from -ls to
+ls (a non login shell, and thus it should not resource .bash_profile but it
still does).

Ideally I want to run cygwin, have it automatically open a login xterm
shell, and then auto close the cygwin shell.

Any suggestions.

* Re: start xterm automatically
@ 2009-09-10  2:42 ` Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin X) @ 2009-09-10  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 09/09/2009 09:47 PM, andreaphus wrote:

> I'd like to set it so that when I run cygwin it automatically launches an
> xterm shell but Im having problems.
>
> I normally run cygwin and then run startxwin.bat (which works fine). I can
> not just put startxwin.bat in .bash_profile because it will loop opening
> shells (it resourced .bash_profile everytime which in turns opens a new
> xterm). I thought this might because the xterm I was opening up in
> startxwin.bat was a login shell but I changed the xterm command from -ls to
> +ls (a non login shell, and thus it should not resource .bash_profile but it
> still does).
>
> Ideally I want to run cygwin, have it automatically open a login xterm
> shell, and then auto close the cygwin shell.

I assume you're starting Cygwin with cygwin.bat.  How do you start that?
Is there a reason you cannot start startxwin.bat the same way?

Holliston, MA 01746

* Re: start xterm automatically
@ 2009-09-15 18:25 ` Csaba Raduly
From: Csaba Raduly @ 2009-09-15 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 3:47 AM, andreaphus <andrealphus@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to set it so that when I run cygwin it automatically launches an
> xterm shell but Im having problems.

(snip)

> Ideally I want to run cygwin, have it automatically open a login xterm
> shell, and then auto close the cygwin shell.

Doesn't your startxwin.bat start an xterm after the X server? I always
had to comment that out (I run startxwin at startup).

Instead of xterm, you may consider using rxvt (which has the advantage
of working with or without X). I don't use cygwin.bat anymore; just a
shortcut with

rxvt <some other options> -e bash --login

Hope this helps.
Csaba
--
Life is complex, with real and imaginary parts