I am running Cygwin-X on Windows XP, connecting to a Gentoo workstation via xdmcp. If I connect to a session running Gnome one processor on my Windows machine spikes to 100% usage and stays there. Memory use appears to remain constant and the X-session is responsive. The CPU doesn't spike while GDM is active, just while the Gnome session is active. If I use a different window manager, such as Blackbox, the CPU does not spike. Other activities on the XP machine seem normal and other programs seem normal. I have closed xdmcp session, close and restarted Cygwin, and rebooted XP. I ran Windows Update last Friday and shut down my Windows machine for the weekend. I didn't notice anything amiss before then, though I cannot guarantee there wasn't a problem. There were some Gnome updates in Gentoo that I emerged recently, I think it was just at the beginning of last week or the previous week, but I don't recall noticing the CPU spiking afterward. In order to try solving the problem I ran the Cygwin setup program and let it install all new updates; when that didn't work I re-ran and force-reinstalled everything. The core Cygwin DLL and X libraries were not updated - they're current according to the setup program and the updates that were found were for some utilities (I didn't record which ones). I have tried googling this with terms like "cygwin xdmcp gnome cpu 100%" and a few variations of that but I haven't found anything relevant (or recent). Is this a Cygwin problem? CPU usage is normal on the remote Linux box (the client, in X parlance), and it seems coincident with MS updates so it seems reasonable that it's not a direct problem with Gnome per se but with the XP machine (the server). Attached is the output of cygcheck