* RE: 1.7.1: no xdmcp login prompt after upgrade
       [not found] <770E8FBB0DFD414C808BD0330F8478712FB90A03@IOTEVSP04VW.shared.state.in.us>
@ 2010-01-21 17:53 ` Paxton, Michael
From: Paxton, Michael @ 2010-01-21 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Tony,

As I noted in my problem, the iptrace ran on the remote host and
therefore is from the perspective of the remote. Nonetheless, each
packet in the trace report displays both the source and destination IP
addresses and TCP/UDP ports. You correctly observe that you are getting
farther than I, in that I never receive the logon prompt.

By the way, although my iptrace report is from an AIX remote host, I
have tested this against RHEL3 and OEL5 remote hosts with the same
results. Again, my Cygwin/X 1.5.25 client logs on and functions
correctly to all remote hosts.

Respectfully,

D. Michael Paxton, Esq., MBA
FBI/CJIS Systems Agency Information Security Officer
Indiana State Police
(317) 232-5686

From: Bennett, Tony @ 2010-01-21 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

D. Michael,

I must admit that my frustration with this problem, accompanied
by the loss of my windows box with the 1.5 install, has caused me
to look elsewhere for a solution.

I have installed XMING, and it seems to work just fine.

Unfortunately, XMING is an XSERVER only... so, I've kept my Cygwin-xfree
install for the other X tools.

I'll keep monitoring this list in the hopes of a fix to the problem.

I might add that I couldn't get XMING to  work until I was able to specify
to its Xserver the address of my Font-Server.

@ 2010-01-21 19:24     ` Paxton, Michael
From: Paxton, Michael @ 2010-01-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Tony,

Try installing from http://cygwin.com/win-9x.html to get version 1.5.25.
Although it states it is only for supporting Windows 95/98/Me, it may
work to get your functionality back. As for me, should no solution be
forthcoming to resolve my issue, I will likely do the same.

@ 2010-01-21 19:36       ` Bennett, Tony
From: Bennett, Tony @ 2010-01-21 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

Great tip,

Thanks

@ 2010-01-21 20:24       ` Larry Hall (Cygwin X)
From: Larry Hall (Cygwin X) @ 2010-01-21 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

On 01/21/2010 02:24 PM, Paxton, Michael wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Try installing from http://cygwin.com/win-9x.html to get version 1.5.25.
> Although it states it is only for supporting Windows 95/98/Me, it may
> work to get your functionality back.

This is 1.5.25 as you noted and, as such, will work as well or as poorly
as 1.5.25 always has.  As a warning, 1.5.x doesn't have a great record
on W7 machines.  And I have to add the obligatory warning that 1.5.25
is a dead branch so you'll see no further development or bug fixes
there.  The take-away from this last statement is that you should keep
an eye on 1.7.x and, to the extent possible, help resolve problems that
you find there so you have an upgrade path if/when 1.5.25 lets you
down.

Holliston, MA 01746

* RE: 1.7.1: no xdmcp login prompt after upgrade
@ 2010-01-22 13:55   ` Paxton, Michael
From: Paxton, Michael @ 2010-01-22 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

That is a good suggestion; I will try that this weekend. Should that
prove to work, would that then suggest something in Cygwin/X's name
resolution is broken? This worked "as-is" under 1.5.25; it is broken
under 1.7.1 - what changed?

From: Holger Krull @ 2010-01-22 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin-xfree

@ 2010-01-15 22:45 ` Bennett, Tony