From: Ryan Johnson <ryanjohn@ece.cmu.edu>
To: cygwin-xfree <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Subject: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 08:58:00 -0000	[thread overview]

  Hi all,

At some point an annoyance appeared with my xterm windows: The first
time I use [ctrl]+mouse click in any window, that xterm becomes
unresponsive for about 5 seconds with the CPU pegged to 100%. After the
five seconds is up, whatever shell spawned the xterm receives the
following message:
> Warning: Missing charsets in String to FontSet conversion

After that all works normally (until I open the next xterm window).

Is there a way to diagnose what the problem is? I don't know what
FontSet string the error even refers to, let alone which parts of that
string were invalid. In any case, it really shouldn't take five seconds
of hard CPU crunching to detect and report an invalid input string.

I found one message from last year's archives that mentioned certain
Japanese fonts, but in that case they knew which fonts were missing. I'd
rather not go installing every font known to man just in hopes of
catching the missing one.

Thoughts?
Ryan