From: Jon TURNEY <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Cc: fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Subject: Re: Updated: xorg-server-1.9.2-1
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 14:06:00 -0000	[thread overview]

On 08/11/2010 11:48, Fergus wrote:
> Since the update I have been unable to start XWin under [1.7].
> Following my usual sequence at a bash prompt:
>
> mount n:/tmp /tmp # drive n: is NTFS as required
> run XWin -multiwindow &
>
> Normally these two would be followed by a command line for xterm, but I am not
> getting that far! The second line repeatedly generates a Cygwin/X error
> message box, where the reason given is very familiar:
>
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock
>
> I used to get this when /tmp was FAT32 but as you see from line 1 I am making
> an explicit mount to a NTFS drive, and in the recent past this step has been
> all that is necessary to make progress. When I open /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
> for more information I read
>
> ~> cat /var/log/xwin/XWin.0.log
> Welcome to the XWin X Server
> Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
> Release: 1.9.2.0 (10902000)
> Build Date: 2010-11-03
>
> XWin was started with the following command line:
>
> /usr/bin/XWin -multiwindow
>
> ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
> winInitializeScreenDefaults - primary monitor w 1280 h 1024
> winInitializeDefaultScreens - native DPI x 96 y 96
> _XSERVTransSocketOpenCOTSServer: Unable to open socket for inet6
> _XSERVTransOpen: transport open failed for inet6/mandible:0
> _XSERVTransMakeAllCOTSServerListeners: failed to open listener for inet6
>
> Fatal server error:
> Can't read lock file /tmp/.X0-lock

I don't think there have been any significant changes in the lockfile code
since the previous version, so this is mysterious.

Does /tmp/.X0-lock exists? Is it readable by you? ('ls -al /tmp/.X0-lock' )

Are you sure /tmp is getting mounted successfully where you expect it to be?

Have you tried '-nolock', as suggested by [1]

> Can anything be determined from the 3 lines in this file beginning _XSERV
> ("Unable" .. "failed" .. "failed")? Do I need to change my command sequence?

The lines about inet6 are expected if you don't have IPv6 installed.  If they
have just started appearing with 1.9.2, that would be odd.

> BTW it's interesting (is it?) that the error message refers to 1.9.2.0 not
> 1.9.2-1.

XWin only reports the upstream version (1.9.2.0), not our packaging version
(the -1), for various uninteresting reasons.

> I'm surprised that there are no other anguished reports to you following the
> update, but I guess that's because the fault/ problem/ difficulty is mine
> rather than general. ?? Any insights much appreciated.

Either that or you are the only person who uses XWin :-) I never hear from
anyone saying it just works fine, so I assume they don't exist :-)

[1] http://x.cygwin.com/docs/faq/cygwin-x-faq.html#q-cant-read-lock-file

--
Jon TURNEY
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer